2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 F150 5.4 Transmission Flush with Magnefine In-line Filter (Video)

Old 04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 5.4 Transmission Flush with Magnefine In-line Filter (Video)

[1] Face front of truck, passenger side of transmission cooler is the return (cold) line. Cut line as shown in video
[2] Drained 4 quarts out as detailed in video
[3] Dropped pan, cleaned pan, magnet, replaced filter bolted pan (10mm) back
[4] Filled 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF fluid
[5] Ran truck and drained 4 quarts back out.
[6] Filled 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF fluid
[7] This time while having my wife run the truck and I insured fluid was being pumped into bucket I had her got to "R", "D", "1" and "2" gear counting 4 seconds and returning to park. (Do not attempt this if you have recently pissed your wife off )...draining another 4 quarts out.
[8] Filled 4 quarts of Amsoil ATF fluid
[9] Ran truck and drained 4 quarts back out.

Once done (My truck holds 14 total, I went through 16 quarts) I installed my Magnefine 5/16 Magnetic In-line filter then checked for leaks, ran truck up to 115-120F checked dip stick, checked for leaks, drove around the block, parked, checked for leaks and checked dipstick again.

I know it's all repetitive but I'm ****...

Hope this helps some of you guys.

Sorry if I sound like a retard in the video, it always sounds better in my head VS coming out of my mouth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2t38hSJgjI

Edit: Year later I change the inline filter. Unfortunately I did not know my phone was not recording audio but you can tell after I cut the filter open it had collected a good amount of metal and did a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjAMM-cHYCU

Last edited by XPerties; 10-11-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added new video
Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Good job! So before today, how many times have you had your transimision flushed and how many miles do you have on your truck? Where did you buy your in-line filter?

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Baditude
Good job! So before today, how many times have you had your transimision flushed and how many miles do you have on your truck? Where did you buy your in-line filter?

I had one fluid exchange at 40k and I have just rolled 70k. I bought the in-line filter from this guy:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/m...id=p4340.l2559

Great communication and very fast shipping. I bought all 3 sizes because I could figure out what size to use which is why I posted the information.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 AM
nice write up and video

Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2 questions:
1. Is the filter sreviceable or disposable? How much $$$ did you pay for it?
2. I'm alone so what do you recommend to plug the side you put your finger in?

I suppose I could use a piece od plastic the same size as the ID on the tube with a clamp or some vise grips or even fold it back and tape it off...suggestions?

OK so that was 4 questions

Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by thundertrucker
2 questions:
1. Is the filter sreviceable or disposable? How much $$$ did you pay for it?
2. I'm alone so what do you recommend to plug the side you put your finger in?

I suppose I could use a piece od plastic the same size as the ID on the tube with a clamp or some vise grips or even fold it back and tape it off...suggestions?

OK so that was 4 questions
$16 bucks 5/16:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/magnefin...1&_from=&_ipg=

It's disposable and should be changed every 30k per instructions or when you service your tranny next.

As far as plugging the other line, I couldn't recommend anything because it does have some pressure to it and if not plugged it will just pump out the new fluid in the pan you just put in. I would recommend having a friend/brother/girlfriend/wife/hire a prostitute/someone to turn your truck off and on....lol

Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

You said you dropped the pan a couple of times to drain it......why didn't you just install a drain plug in the pan after the first drop for future draining purposes?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pan plug/inline filter already ordered but not here yet. Kinda a double edged sword though with the plug. The next routine fluid change I will also change the filter/clean magnet in 30K more miles so I'll be dropping the pan anyways. I know some guys just swap 5-6 qts of fluid every 20-30K but I'm **** about my truck like alot of other guys. I do take advice as long as I don't have the feeling I'm being condecended. So far so good on that front. Some guy named BlueJay was an ***hole once.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
You said you dropped the pan a couple of times to drain it......why didn't you just install a drain plug in the pan after the first drop for future draining purposes?
I only dropped the pan one time in this entire process and I didn't think about putting a drain plug in but in my eyes putting a drain plug in would be worthless because I would still drop the pan to clean the magnet. No need for extra holes in the pan when all I have to do is undo the cold side of the inline filter, start the truck for a minute and the pan is empty that way.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XPerties
I only dropped the pan one time in this entire process and I didn't think about putting a drain plug in but in my eyes putting a drain plug in would be worthless because I would still drop the pan to clean the magnet. No need for extra holes in the pan when all I have to do is undo the cold side of the inline filter, start the truck for a minute and the pan is empty that way.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Planning on doing this method on my 05 F150 in the near future.. Couple of questions,, 1) Did you need to replace the transmission pan gasket or was it reusable.. 2) Could you put the new ATF on one end of the cut transmission line when the new inline filter goes and let the new fluid push out the old in this manner instead of stopping and putting 4 quarts in at a time through the fill tube.. Suck the new in and catch the old as it is being pushed out.. Thanks..

Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 PM
[1] The gasket is reusable and no need for a new one.

[2] Nope that wont work. Actually in my steps above I say plug one side of the hose while aiming the other side of the cut hose in a bucket. If you don't you will get a shower from both ends. There is no really sucking power to do what your thinking of.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 AM
XP, They do make magnetic plugs.

Thunder, Why is a drain plug a double edged sword?

Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by 60DRB
XP, They do make magnetic plugs.
I haven't seen any but I'm sure they are out there or you could make one.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks Xperties,, great video and advise..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 F150 5.4 Transmission Flush with Magnefine In-line Filter (Video)