2004 - 2008 F-150

Do all 5.4L's sound like a quiet diesel at idle?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do all 5.4L's sound like a quiet diesel at idle?

Hey folks. I just bought a used 2006 XLT 4X4 Screw with the 5.4L. It has 30,000 miles and is in great shape.

After about the third day of driving it, when at an enclosed bank drive-thru and my window down, I noticed my engine had a slight, rythmic, diesel type clatter at idle (in gear). This was after driving several miles and the engine was nice and warm. Listening to it idle in park, from near the wheel wells, I notice the sound more on the passenger side than the drivers side, but it is slight on both sides, and can be heard loudest from underneath the engine. The sound is in no way as loud as a diesel engine, but it mimics the actual sound a diesel makes, only very quietly. It is so quiet, that my dad didn't even really notice it when I had him listen.

Also, when I fire it up in the garage on cold mornings, I hear a bit of clatter, which is similar, and maybe louder, but it goes away in about 30-45 seconds after starting. Then, after fully warming up, the quiet diesel idle is noticeable.

I had the dealership I bought it from listen to it, and of course, their tech said it was normal, and according to the sales rep, had something to do with the "plugs being at different heights, and tapping". Okay?

I have read a lot of these types of posts on here, and most seem to indicate bad cam phasers or lash adjusters, and some even mentioned cam sensors. But, most if not all of those posts are older, and deal with the 2004-2005 5.4L's. In addition, those complaints seemed to describe a louder sound than I have. Are these parts still a concern with ones made in 5/2006?

As I said, this ticking is very subtle, and may very well be normal, I just hate for it to be an indicator that something is about to get worse, and once the warranty is up, I am stuck with a huge repair bill. If it is a sign of a problem, I want it fixed under warranty while I can.

I have a cousin who has worked at another Ford dealership for 30 years as a service tech, and he really knows what he is doing. I need to have him listen to it, but he is several miles away, and busy farming right now.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Question

Your ? x 2...

Mine does the same thing... What gives??

Runs Great across the board.

I was thinking being that it's getting colder out...
It's just ticking until the oil gets up in the motor.

AirAid modular intake tube, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Line-X'd bed and fender wells, 2.5 Inch AS Level Kit and 3 inch AS Rear Block, 1 Mile range Viper 5900 SST remote start and alarm system, JL Audio Stealthbox, JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 300/4, Alpine Type-R 6.5 inch components in front doors, Alpine Type-R 5x7's in rear doors, Alpine Iva-w505, LOTS of Dynamat, 15% Tinted windows, Billet Grills in factory H-bar and lower bumper.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
2006 5.4L Lariat
Someone told me it was the injectors...
Quiet/Slight clicking noise when in idle.
Steve

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Mine is a 2004 which tend to be the worst. My truck idling with the hood popped ticks ALMOST as loud as my friend's 6.0 PSD. No joke, its ridiculous. One guy even walked by and got all excited thinking i did a diesel swap. :o

But hey, 92k hard miles without a hiccup. I'm not one to complain at all.

BTW welcome to the site.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Mine does the same thing 05 Lariat

Old 11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
My 2006 FX4 5.4l is in right now for a warranty visit and I have them diagnosing the same type of concern. When first started up in cooler weather, there is a noticable klunking sound (passenger side wheel well) that becomes very audible shortly after the first start of the morning. Right after the engine idles down to normal rpm the sound becomes very noticable. It sounds like more than just tapping or clatter but rather a deeper klunking sound. Once warmed up the klunking is gone and replaced by an overall "diesel type"sound.

Anyone know what this could be, should I be concerned or just accept it's just the engines normal sound. I can live with a little noise, but if it is the first step towards a major engine problem, I want it corrected now.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Mine did the exact same thing. Getting new cam phasers as I type.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
mine does it too. it's the cam phasers.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There should always be a light ticking noise,sounds much like lose lifters. It's the fuel injectors openning and closing. If it is more of a knock, you should have the cam phasers checked. If you have a knock at start up that goes away, make sure you do not have a Fram or a cheap lube joint filter. Use Motorcraft, Purolater or one of the others that have a good anti drain back tube.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Every Ford I've owned has had noisy injectors!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys and gals. What I am hearing is not the fuel injectors. I know what those sound like. I spend a LOT of time driving late model Crown Vics with the 4.6L (police cars), and I know what the injectors sound like. In fact, I just raised the hood on an '06 Crown Vic and listened to it idle. The injectors on those are REALLY loud. I have never noticed the 'diesel' sound from any of the many Crown Vics that I have driven. I can hear the injectors on my 5.4L too (although much quieter than the 4.6L's), once the hood is open, and the diesel sound I am hearing is different than the injectors cycling. Plus, the 'diesel' noise I am hearing is heard most, with the hood closed, and is most noticeable from the wheel wells, and from under the rear of the engine. This is more of a light, rythmic, knocking sound.
Are the 4.6L's cam/head/phasers drasticly different than the 5.4L? I never hear complaints of 4.6L's sounding like the 5.4L's.

The sound I hear on my 5.4L, definitely sounds like cam/valvetrain, which seems to be comfirmed by the fact that the sound is affected by oil temperature. I would think the injectors would be more consistant in noise than this noise, that is most audible at first startup, and when very warm. When I first noticed it, I would swear it sounded like a few valves had too much lash, to be honest. I have built many older Ford engines back in the day, but never owned one with 'cam phasers'.

The truck was serviced by the Ford dealer, prior to me buying it, and a Motorcraft oil filter was installed.

Maybe I am just too critical of a new to me vehicle, but the sound is a new one to me, and I want to ensure that this is not a sign that I will need major engine work once the warranty runs out in 6,000 more miles. I guess, what can I do if the dealer just says "its normal" (which they have), and its really not?

I guess I need to get ahold of my unbiased Ford tech cousin, and drive it over to him for his opinion. Then, if he tells me it needs work, then I have some ammo to get my dealer on it.

I will post what I come up with. In the mean time, more thoughts are welcome. One more question, those of you that are experiencing this same noise, did yours do it from new? How many miles have you guys gone with the noise with no increase in noise, or problems?

Thanks, folks.

Last edited by Jimbo45; 11-07-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent I guess. Mine is virtually silent while idling, sometimes I forget it's running.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by ballinsoldier
I'll be the voice of dissent I guess. Mine is virtually silent while idling, sometimes I forget it's running.
Well yes, from inside with the windows up, or down (and not in an enclosed area), mine is perfectly and acceptably quiet running.

I am talking about listening to engine noises that are only heard from outside the truck, even requiring me to stick my head near the wheel wells, or when its in an enclosed area (bank drive through, garage, etc.) with the windows down.

Like I said, maybe I am being too picky about this slight noise. Its just that I have owned many Fords (2.3L, 3.8L, 4.0L, 3.0L DOHC, 4.6L, 5.0L, 289, 302, 351W, 460, and proabably more that I am forgetting) and have never heard this noise before, even if it is slight, or very subtle.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Jimbo45
Thanks for the replies, guys and gals. What I am hearing is not the fuel injectors. I know what those sound like. I spend a LOT of time driving late model Crown Vics with the 4.6L (police cars), and I know what the injectors sound like. In fact, I just raised the hood on an '06 Crown Vic and listened to it idle. The injectors on those are REALLY loud. I have never noticed the 'diesel' sound from any of the many Crown Vics that I have driven. I can hear the injectors on my 5.4L too (although much quieter than the 4.6L's), once the hood is open, and the diesel sound I am hearing is different than the injectors cycling. Plus, the 'diesel' noise I am hearing is heard most, with the hood closed, and is most noticeable from the wheel wells, and from under the rear of the engine. This is more of a light, rythmic, knocking sound.
Are the 4.6L's cam/head/phasers drasticly different than the 5.4L? I never hear complaints of 4.6L's sounding like the 5.4L's.

The sound I hear on my 5.4L, definitely sounds like cam/valvetrain, which seems to be comfirmed by the fact that the sound is affected by oil temperature. I would think the injectors would be more consistant in noise than this noise, that is most audible at first startup, and when very warm. When I first noticed it, I would swear it sounded like a few valves had too much lash, to be honest. I have built many older Ford engines back in the day, but never owned one with 'cam phasers'.

The truck was serviced by the Ford dealer, prior to me buying it, and a Motorcraft oil filter was installed.

Maybe I am just too critical of a new to me vehicle, but the sound is a new one to me, and I want to ensure that this is not a sign that I will need major engine work once the warranty runs out in 6,000 more miles. I guess, what can I do if the dealer just says "its normal" (which they have), and its really not?

I guess I need to get ahold of my unbiased Ford tech cousin, and drive it over to him for his opinion. Then, if he tells me it needs work, then I have some ammo to get my dealer on it.

I will post what I come up with. In the mean time, more thoughts are welcome. One more question, those of you that are experiencing this same noise, did yours do it from new? How many miles have you guys gone with the noise with no increase in noise, or problems?

Thanks, folks.
I have a 2006 4.6 and it's loud as hell.

When I took it in they said it's normal (of course) and that it was so loud, because my truck is lifted and the wheel well is more open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do all 5.4L's sound like a quiet diesel at idle?