2004 5.4L Hesitation on take off - F150online Forums

Log In 


2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 5.4L Hesitation on take off

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Arkansas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 86
2004 5.4L Hesitation on take off

I have a 2004 F150 Lariat 4wd with the 5.4L that occasionally hesitates on take off. It usually only does it on cold mornings or when I'm pulling a trailer. If I stop at a stop sign or get in for the first take off I can hit the gas, engine revs but the truck doesn't move, and then it kind of jerks me forward. It worries me sometimes when I'm trying to pull out intro traffic. I have 116,000 miles on my truck. It started this about 3 years ago when I was around 70,000 miles. I have never had an engine light or anything come on. When it first started I took it in for an oil change and the dealer (without knowing of my problem) said I needed a new mass airflow sensor. I took it to my local trusted mechanic who said he could just clean it so he did. I had it start happening again on me this past fall so I took it to him again. He drove it around and of course it never happened for him as it was a warm day and the truck had already been ran, plus no trailer. Any ideas what is going on here? My only non stock items are a drop in K&N filter and I have the muffler removed with a 24" echo tip welded in place under the bed. I had both items for a year or so before I noticed this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 32,996
Did he clean the MAF again? K&N oil is known to foul the MAF.

How many miles are on the spark plugs? When was your last transmission service? Last fuel filter change?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Arkansas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 86
He did clean the MAF again as well as my K&N for me. Stock spark plugs. Never had the transmission serviced. The fuel filter was replaced at 100,000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San diego
Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy View Post
I have a 2004 F150 Lariat 4wd with the 5.4L that occasionally hesitates on take off. It usually only does it on cold mornings or when I'm pulling a trailer. If I stop at a stop sign or get in for the first take off I can hit the gas, engine revs but the truck doesn't move, and then it kind of jerks me forward. It worries me sometimes when I'm trying to pull out intro traffic. I have 116,000 miles on my truck. It started this about 3 years ago when I was around 70,000 miles. I have never had an engine light or anything come on. When it first started I took it in for an oil change and the dealer (without knowing of my problem) said I needed a new mass airflow sensor. I took it to my local trusted mechanic who said he could just clean it so he did. I had it start happening again on me this past fall so I took it to him again. He drove it around and of course it never happened for him as it was a warm day and the truck had already been ran, plus no trailer. Any ideas what is going on here? My only non stock items are a drop in K&N filter and I have the muffler removed with a 24" echo tip welded in place under the bed. I had both items for a year or so before I noticed this issue.

Funny you say that bc I have a 08 screw with 30,000 miles on it and I thought I was noticing it doing the same but it seems to be around 30-40 mph with mine. i have to be cruising at that speed then try to accelerate for it to happen. doesnt happen all the time just every once in a while. Almost like the computer dosent quite know what gear it wants to use. I wounder if its a trans problem, computer problem, or just something that cant be fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 32,996
You have 116k on the original spark plugs and transmission fluid? Don't you think you should get caught up on your periodic maintenance before trying to troubleshoot a minor drivability issue?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Arkansas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
You have 116k on the original spark plugs and transmission fluid? Don't you think you should get caught up on your periodic maintenance before trying to troubleshoot a minor drivability issue?
No I do not.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM
tarajerame's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: missing Texas...
Vehicle: 200? FORD
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy View Post
He did clean the MAF again as well as my K&N for me. Stock spark plugs. Never had the transmission serviced. The fuel filter was replaced at 100,000 miles.
there's the second issue, the first is the lack of maintenance

how dare you think your truck shold run 100% when you FAIL to maintain it 100%
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San diego
Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajerame View Post
there's the second issue, the first is the lack of maintenance

how dare you think your truck shold run 100% when you FAIL to maintain it 100%
What could be the issue in my case then? Only 30,000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-18-2011, 06:14 PM
tarajerame's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: missing Texas...
Vehicle: 200? FORD
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
What could be the issue in my case then? Only 30,000 miles.



if you go back to your thread, you'll see why many of us feel it's operator error


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Arkansas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajerame View Post
how dare you think your truck shold run 100% when you FAIL to maintain it 100%
Are you a certified mechanic? Because I've had my truck in for oil changes every 5,000 miles at my dealer and they sign off on these items each time. I've also had another dealer do the same one other time as well as my local preferred mechanic.

Keep in mind this is an ongoing issue for the last 50,000 miles. BTW it did it hesitated off and on at about 40mph on the way home today.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy View Post
Are you a certified mechanic? Because I've had my truck in for oil changes every 5,000 miles at my dealer and they sign off on these items each time. I've also had another dealer do the same one other time as well as my local preferred mechanic.

Keep in mind this is an ongoing issue for the last 50,000 miles. BTW it did it hesitated off and on at about 40mph on the way home today.
Spark plugs. As the plugs are used longer, the gap slowly increases. How would that not affect the performance of your engine? How about weak coil overs? That would cause issues with performance as well. tarajerame is right, look at the basic maintenance and, if the problem shows itself, ask for help.

On that note, why would you ask for help and then turn down any suggestions made? Basic maintenance is not just changing the oil, though that is part of it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-19-2011, 05:26 AM
tarajerame's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: missing Texas...
Vehicle: 200? FORD
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtylerb View Post
Spark plugs. As the plugs are used longer, the gap slowly increases. How would that not affect the performance of your engine? How about weak coil overs? That would cause issues with performance as well. tarajerame is right, look at the basic maintenance and, if the problem shows itself, ask for help.

On that note, why would you ask for help and then turn down any suggestions made? Basic maintenance is not just changing the oil, though that is part of it.
he doesn't want honesty, which is why he's been getting ripped off thus far, he wants asugar coated answer, and he's been added to my ignore list...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kentucky
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 515
Weren't the 04's the ones that have the injector issues? Could be plugged cats from excessive fuel dump.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Arkansas
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtylerb View Post
Spark plugs. As the plugs are used longer, the gap slowly increases. How would that not affect the performance of your engine? How about weak coil overs? That would cause issues with performance as well. tarajerame is right, look at the basic maintenance and, if the problem shows itself, ask for help.

On that note, why would you ask for help and then turn down any suggestions made? Basic maintenance is not just changing the oil, though that is part of it.
I've specifically asked my dealer about the plugs in the past and they came back with they were fine.

BTW it wasn't tarajerame's suggestions of what to look at that bothered me, it was his rude attitude. I actually thought it was the transmission at first, but I've come to believe it is possibly a sensor and/or computer issue.

Last edited by digit4lcowboy; 03-19-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boyne City, Mi.
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy View Post
BTW it wasn't tarajerame's suggestions of what to look at that bothered me, it was his rude attitude.
Don't let that guy's attitude offed you, you just have to consider the source. He is one of those guys that thinks because his post count is higher that he is somewhat better then you. But the truth is he must not have much of a life so he sits on this forum to entertain himself.
Just go and look at his negative comments in the past. You are probably like myself and you use this forum as a tool to receive information and he uses it for social networking. I guess he has never heard of Facebook. Unlike him, most of the people on here are knowledgeable and willing to help when they can and when they cannot they don't make negative comments.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ecoboost feed back from those who work the truck hard. nickbrumaghim 2009 - 2014 F-150 19 11-14-2015 12:29 PM
5.4L with VCTADV=49 and VCTADV2=0 KwitcherBitchin V8 Engines 3 10-20-2015 02:06 AM
2004 No audio output Lariat04 Head Units 0 09-30-2015 10:06 AM
98 F150 5.4 - need some serious help...just bought... guy made a mess - story inside. kaydien23 V8 Engines 8 09-15-2015 11:14 PM
P0012, Different than most??? KwitcherBitchin 2004 - 2008 F-150 9 09-14-2015 06:17 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordé is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company