2004 - 2008 F-150

08 OEM Backup Cam Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 OEM Backup Cam Mod

This weekend I installed my new Pioneer AVIC-D3. Im really enjoying the unit. I wanted to incorporate the OEM backup cam into the D3, and wanted to share the info. When I first got the truck I could not find much information about the OEM backup cam system. I had a mod in mind, I wanted to install a switch to turn the cam on whenever I wanted. I didnt find much info and decided to wait and let the experts get some experience with the system before I messed with it. In perfect timing, Low_e_red posted some info he found on this system, so credit for this mod goes to him

Here is the rundown of how the system is wired. The cam is always powered on with 12v switched. The monitor in the mirror is powered on when a 12v reverse signal is sent to the mirror. A possible mod here would be to install a switch to send 12v to the mirror and view the reverse signal on whenever you want. Here is the wiring pinout for the cam, found in the tailgate harness:

12v switched - Pin 1 (white/lt. blue)
Ground - Pin 6 (white)
Video + / RCA center pin - pin 4(red/yellow)
Video - / RCA outside pin - pin 5(black/yellow)

The reverse signal is sent to the mirror to power on the monitor. The reverse wire in the mirror harness is Pin 2 - Dk. Green/Yellow.

With this information you should be able to do a few mods. You could install a switch to power on the monitor anytime, send the reverse cam signal to an aftermarket HU, use the mirror monitor with another video signal, etc. The mod I did was tap into the video source to use the backup cam on my D3.

I traced the wires to the passenger side kick panel, they are the same color here as they are at the tailgate harness. From there they run up the passenger side A pillar to behind the headliner. The reverse signal and two video wires can be found here. I chose to tap into them in the A pillar, this was much easier access than way up behind the glove box for me. Here is a pic of the wires. The two video wires are twisted together and shielded on their own.

I used T-taps to verify the correct wiring, then I soldered and heat shrinked the connections. The D3 has an input specifically for reverse cam that is turned on when reverse signal is sent. There is no way to view the cam unless reverse is on. I bought a Y splitter for the RCA I tapped into the signal with. I sent the signal to the reverse input, and the AV1 input. Wired this way, I can view the reverse cam anytime by switching to the AV1 input on the D3.

Thanks again to Low_e_red for sharing the wiring of this system, hope this helps someone else in the future.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM
That looks nice, great work and great information!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM
I feel special. Thanks. I still have yet to do this mod...

Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Nice writeup! Looks good!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Looks great.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Do you guys know how much would be involved in installing that rearview mirror and the camera on a 2004 model?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Here is the thread where I got the info for this mod. It has the part #'s needed.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=328956

Basically, you will need 3 parts if you want the complete OEM system found in the 08. The tailgate handle with the hole for the camera, the camera, and the mirror with the monitor built in. I have read that the mirror is pretty expensive, so if you have an aftermarket HU that can display the cam that would save alot.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by jcomar1
Do you guys know how much would be involved in installing that rearview mirror and the camera on a 2004 model?
Jcomar if you need help with this. I figured out how to do this and I will help you. Its one hour away...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks Low e Red.. I saw that the rear view mirror was quite expensive. I'm looking at some options for that.
I'm also looking to either get some black headlights or paint mine black.. have any experience with that?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Maybe I can get jrb03 to trade mirrors with me now that he has the in-dash unit...??

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Maybe I can get jrb03 to trade mirrors with me now that he has the in-dash unit...??
Sorry, I rather enjoy mine

Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Dude wow! That looks great. I always wanted a backupcam, especially with the guidance marks on it.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Thanks Low e Red.. I saw that the rear view mirror was quite expensive. I'm looking at some options for that.
I'm also looking to either get some black headlights or paint mine black.. have any experience with that?
dom at tasca has the mirror for $520. i just completed a complete install on my 08. everything is up can running great. i think i paid a total, including shipping for about $900 for the whole set up.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by labman1014
dom at tasca has the mirror for $520. i just completed a complete install on my 08. everything is up can running great. i think i paid a total, including shipping for about $900 for the whole set up.
Since you have an 08, was the wiring there already for the video to the mirror, and the tailgate? Or did you have to run wire for the complete system?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by jrb03
Since you have an 08, was the wiring there already for the video to the mirror, and the tailgate? Or did you have to run wire for the complete system?
the wiring was in my main harness that runs from behind the glove box to the rear of the truck. i had to buy 2 harnesses and make a small short one also. the harnesses were the one from the glove box to the mirror and the one in the tailgate. i had to make one from the bottom of the tailgate to the main harness there at the rear of the truck. i only had to tap into 4 wires in the main, so it would not be hard to wire the complete system IMHO. well worth it to me. let me know if you need anything else....later

Quick Reply: 08 OEM Backup Cam Mod