2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck Wont start ran out of gas put gas in and still wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Wont start ran out of gas put gas in and still wont start

last wendsday i drove my truck in a snow storm came home and parked it really wasnt that much fuel left in the truck but i didnt run it completly out the fuel light didnt come on but it was low so today i got 5 gallons of gas and dumped it in..the truck wont start i tried starting it b4 i put gas in it as well...also doesnt really sound like the fuel pump is coming on when hit the key is there a emergency shut off restart button switch on the truck that i need to hit or is the fuel pump shot...the truck sounds like it wants to start but doesnt turn over just clickes when i hit the key and my gryphon programmer isnt throwing any codes...any one got any ideas and it has a new battery in so i'm stumped

Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
You say it "just clicks". As in no turnover or anything??? I get a "click" when my battery is dead. Even though it has a new battery doesn't mean it can't die(especially in the cold). I'd hook up some jumper cables just to see.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah same here. Mine clicks when it's dead.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM
alrighty i'll take a stab at it later dont feel like messing with it right now cause i got 2 other vehicles that are giving me problems and i'm just gonna sit back and relax the rest of the day i'm sick of being a machanic for the day

Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say its the battery or the starter. Not that this is the cause but have you replaced the fuel pump driver module?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM

and for future thought running the fuel that low can cause premature failure of your fuel pump

I have a mustang at home that sits and has battery issues. Usually I start it once a week and drive it around the block to make sure all the fluids are moving etc. I let it sit almost all winter this time and didnt pull the battery . Just threw it on the charger overnight and started her right up.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
check the connections at the starter for corrosion and for the positive cable braking off the solenoid on the starter.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since your truck is an '04 and up north like mine, drop your spare and check your fuel module on the crossmember under the bed, snow or ice may have gotten into it if its cracked open like mine was. Mine would not start in rain because of that.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM
thanks for all the help guys

Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM
I just had to have my truck towed for the Fuel Pump Driver Module as well. The truck died and seemed to be out of gas even though the low fuel light had jsut turned on. So I walked down the street and got a couple gallons of gas and dumped it in. It would then start but idle really rough. Any time I put it in gear or touched the gas pedal it would die.

Had it towed to a dealership and left it there until morning. Called them up and they got it in right away for me. At first they said that it could possibly be the fuel pump. If it was it was going to be upwards of $800-1000 to fix. The FPDM installed was $499.26.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by 08stx4x4
I just had to have my truck towed for the Fuel Pump Driver Module as well. The truck died and seemed to be out of gas even though the low fuel light had jsut turned on. So I walked down the street and got a couple gallons of gas and dumped it in. It would then start but idle really rough. Any time I put it in gear or touched the gas pedal it would die.

Had it towed to a dealership and left it there until morning. Called them up and they got it in right away for me. At first they said that it could possibly be the fuel pump. If it was it was going to be upwards of $800-1000 to fix. The FPDM installed was $499.26.

Just had my fuel pump driver module replaced 2 weeks ago. The module was $128.73 and the labor was $131.64 total was $260.37 but my truck was under warranty so I didnt have to pay squat!!!!! $499.26 seems a little much!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just had my fuel pump driver module replaced 2 weeks ago. The module was $128.73 and the labor was $131.64 total was $260.37 but my truck was under warranty so I didnt have to pay squat!!!!! $499.26 seems a little much!!!!
was the module cracked? how did it look?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by projetmech
I honestly have no idea how it looked! Truck just shut off while i was driving and had it towed to the dealership.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 AM
well i checked the battery it was fine i had it charged at the local auto parts store and i put a litle more gas in the truck still wouldnt start would crank but not start so i pulled my CAI off and dumped fuel in to the throttle body o0r intake and it started right up but then the fuel got used and it died agian...so i'm figureing its the fuel pump so i'm gonna have to get it towed to my shop to have that done...guess i lerned my lesson about not running the fuel so low

Old 02-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by projetmech
I don't know, I didn't get a chance to see it. The truck died at about 130AM after I had jsut finished work and was giving my supervisor a ride home. It took me 5 hours to finally get it to the dealer after trying a few other things first. I just left it there and dropped my keys in the over night box and went home. Stayed up for another 30 mins after I got home to call the service department. After having a chat with them they went out and pulled it inside right away. They called back around noon and told me it was the FPDM. I told them replace it and see if they could have the truck done by 3 so I could get it back in time before heading to work. Just as I was about to give up on it and drive my F250 to work they called and told me it was finished. I rushed over and grabbed it and headed to work so I never even thought to ask to see the old one.

I don't know if mine cost more because I was out of warranty or what, but they had $210.00 for labor. Also had $79.99 for diagnosis along with the $128.73 for the FPDM. I didn't know what the problem was when I dropped it off so that's why they had to diagnose it. I was cold and tired and didn't want to crawl under the truck when it was parked in the snow.

Quick Reply: Truck Wont start ran out of gas put gas in and still wont start