2004 - 2008 F-150

Flashing check engine = misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has hiccupped twice since changing the cops but after running another tank of regular 87 thru it no issues whatsoever. Idles great and quieter then it ever has and more power than I had before. My next step will be changing the fuel filter at my next oil change interval.

Sounds like you have a plug or COP that is having issues at higher RPMs. I never got the check engine light to flash though so I never had a misfire that I could get a code off of. I have also checked the EDGE and no DTC's could be found.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the flashing light is because raw fuel is being dumped in the Cat usually caused by a bad plug or COP. As the fuel is dissipated the light will stop flashing and simply remain on. I just changed out my plugs and COP's, cleaned the MAF and a new air filter. It was really misfiring and chug a chug under load. Now the truck runs smoother than it did new but it's also a low mileage 06 5.4 engine. I was sweating bullets getting several plugs out and with only 30k miles I can imagine what it could be like at 100k. NO WAY I'd wait that long to change these plugs because of the removal problems. Dealer told me if they changed them I would have to pay for additional labor if any broke! When I was at the Ford garage I saw a 5.4 with the heads off and it was because of BROKEN plugs! That did it for me..... Thanks Ford but no thanks and did it myself.... NOT A FUN JOB HOWEVER....

For removal I used a torque wrench for all the plugs I could. Set it to 45 lbs but got all the way to 70 lbs to remove one plug. That's when I was really getting nervous although I did buy the removal tool BEFORE starting to remove the plugs. I used the new plug design, torque wrench and anti-seize so hopefully won't have anymore removal issues. I plan to simply change the plugs every 30k miles and hopefully will never have to deal with broken plugs. Anyway need a good deal on Lisle removal tool (never been used) lol....

Bottom line the truck runs great again but I still feel that Ford is seriously jobbing people when they know full well there are issues with plug removal or head damage! Why should we have to pay for their mistake? They've been aware of this issue for a long time! All they needed to do was send out a TSB telling all owners to have their plugs replaced much sooner than 100k. I believe that would have eliminated 90% of these issues.... Now they are stone walling because there are to many of these out there and the costs can be large!!!!! I switched from Toyota but to be honest I'm probably done with Ford now. They should stand behind this issue 100% imo........ not tell me if the plugs are broken being removed it's my dime? Simply not right and they darn well know it.

I feel fortunate to have removed the old plugs and COPs without incident! Many others aren't that lucky........ It's a shame because I love the truck except for this issue....

Last edited by cthusker; 01-28-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Flashing check engine = misfire?