2004 - 2008 F-150

anyone know anything about ride height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know anything about ride height adjustment

so i know you guys are sick of answering my questions but this one has gotten to me.

truck always measured a quarter inch lower on the driver side. front and rear

put on an as 1.5 and got it aligned. no blocks in the rear

for some reason my front right is cambered out some, and alignment shop says i need a cam bolt for the bottom strut mount to correct it.

now the front driver side measures to a 1.5 inch lift. its right at 38.5 inches. it was 37 before.

the front passenger side however measured 37.25, and now it measures 39 (thats a 1.75 inch lift out of a 1.5 spacer).

my front passenger side is a half inch higher in the front.

the rear has always measured 38.75 driver side, 39 passenger side.

i dont think im being picky. isnt something wrong if one side of my truck is a whole half inch higher than the other side? it looks perfectly level when looking at it from the passenger side, but if you look from the driver side it looks raked a little still.

so to sum it up right now my measurements are

front driver 38.5
front passenger 39
rear driver 38.75
rear passenger 39

this is the alignment sheet

is the shop correct when they say there is no camber adjustment without getting a cam bolt?

only thing i can note that is different is the slots where the upper strut mounts to. the 3 holes are slotted. they are maxed out to one side on the driver side, but the passenger side they are in the middle it seems like.

what does rotating the strut do to the truck? they have to do something, otherwise ford would have just made 3 holes for it to mount to, not 3 slots.

anyone know? i just want to bring the front passenger down that half an inch.

tires are pretty even pressure all the way around and ive measured it on a few different surfaces.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 11-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
When you're taking your measurements how full is the gas tank?>> try to check when approx quarter tank....

As for the cam bolt......you can get a second opinion if you feel your getting bent over.....go to a different shop....

Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
i called another shop, they say sometimes those slots can influence the way the camber is so i guess ill jack the front up, loosen them, then twist them some different way.

think they will twist if i dangle the front wheels in the air?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
i called another shop, they say sometimes those slots can influence the way the camber is so i guess ill jack the front up, loosen them, then twist them some different way.

think they will twist if i dangle the front wheels in the air?
I doubt it. on the strut/coils I've installed before I've had to
hand tighten down the top three nuts and put a steel rod (like a 1/2" socket wrench) through the bottom strut hole and twist, which still requires some effort. I bet if a survey was done on measurements from one truck to the other, lift/no lift you would get similar results in height differences. If your truck is tracking right and tires are wearing evenly it may not be an issue other than you know it's off somewhere. Have you done any measurements from center of wheel/hub to the bottom lip of fender?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:14 PM
how would you do that go by the ford logo? you can visually see that that side is way higher. i popped my hood to check oil and stood back it caught my attention so bad. a half inch is too much. i can live with a quarter inch, but a half is too bad.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Get the cam bolt and have the alignment adjusted as the shop recommended and you may find that it is fine afterwards.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
When you're taking your measurements how full is the gas tank?>>
Ditto. A full tank will always make a truck slightly lower on one side.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 AM
with the fuel tank on the LHS it is also very possible that your strut and springs and all involved are wearing faster then the RHS and have sagged. To conferm you could measure the lengh of your rear springs from centre to centre.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by City of Champs
with the fuel tank on the LHS it is also very possible that your strut and springs and all involved are wearing faster then the LHS and have sagged. To conferm you could measure the lengh of your rear springs from centre to centre.
Sorry LHS

Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
so i know you guys are sick of answering my questions but this one has gotten to me.

truck always measured a quarter inch lower on the driver side. front and rear

put on an as 1.5 and got it aligned. no blocks in the rear

for some reason my front right is cambered out some, and alignment shop says i need a cam bolt for the bottom strut mount to correct it.

now the front driver side measures to a 1.5 inch lift. its right at 38.5 inches. it was 37 before.

the front passenger side however measured 37.25, and now it measures 39 (thats a 1.75 inch lift out of a 1.5 spacer).

my front passenger side is a half inch higher in the front.

the rear has always measured 38.75 driver side, 39 passenger side.

i dont think im being picky. isnt something wrong if one side of my truck is a whole half inch higher than the other side? it looks perfectly level when looking at it from the passenger side, but if you look from the driver side it looks raked a little still.

so to sum it up right now my measurements are

front driver 38.5
front passenger 39
rear driver 38.75
rear passenger 39

this is the alignment sheet

is the shop correct when they say there is no camber adjustment without getting a cam bolt?

The caster and camber is adjusted with the mounting bolts that hold the lower control arm to the frame..they are off-center bolts for this purpose. Any kind of "cam bolt" would never do anything here.

only thing i can note that is different is the slots where the upper strut mounts to. the 3 holes are slotted. they are maxed out to one side on the driver side, but the passenger side they are in the middle it seems like.

what does rotating the strut do to the truck? they have to do something, otherwise ford would have just made 3 holes for it to mount to, not 3 slots.

It won't do a thing..the strut assembly is a certain length and trying to turn it will be a project (totally loosening the three bolts and removing the large mounting bolt and turning the strut with a bar or something..I can't see what you will gain from that either.

anyone know? i just want to bring the front passenger down that half an inch.

Have you owned the truck since new ?? Just wondering if it may have been in an accident at some point...(frame problems) ??

The alignment spec sheet looks good !

tires are pretty even pressure all the way around and ive measured it on a few different surfaces.
Try measuring the frame at the same spot (front and rear) on all four corners on a flat floor and see what you get.

Quick Reply: anyone know anything about ride height adjustment