2004 - 2008 F-150

P0022 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0022 help!!!

Good evening guys! I am new to the forum... I own a 2004 Screw fx4 with the 5.4 that I bought a few weeks ago. It has 107k on it. Last Thursday I got my oil changed(5w-40) at my local Ford dealership. Sunday while my truck was idling it started to sputter. I put the truck in nuetral and gave it some gas and it quit. Monday it did it again and threw a code. Got the code checked and it was a P0022. Today I went and purchased two cam sensors and replaced my old ones. Truck idled smoother and I thought it was fixed. It has sputtered a few times since but not as bad. I then went and filled my truck up( it was below a 1/4 tank) and seems to be running even better. Then it sputtered one more time and threw a code. I havent checked it(will tomorrow) yet but am baffled at what it could be. Fuel filter is bad? Cam phasers going out? Any help guys for be huge!!!

Thanks,
Martin

Old 10-14-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.engine-light-help.com/P00...ine-light.html

Check Engine Light Code P0022

Intake Cam Position Timing Over Retarded - Bank 2

Description:

How does a P0022 code trigger the check engine light? This code will trigger the check engine light under the following condition:

The comprehensive component monitor, referred to as the CCM, monitors the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) position for over-retarded cam timing. If the cam timing exceeds a maximum calibrated limit or is stuck in a retarded position, the check engine light will come on and set this trouble code.

Possible Causes:
Incorrect camshaft timing
VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit
Diagnostic Help:
This check engine light code is caused by a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Possible symptoms may include rough idle, stall or hard start. Refer to manufacturer specific component tests for the VCT unit. You may also use the "Get Help" link if you need specifications or have any other related questions. Remember to refer to an appropriate manual for specific instructions.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
http://www.engine-light-help.com/P00...ine-light.html

Check Engine Light Code P0022

Intake Cam Position Timing Over Retarded - Bank 2

Description:

How does a P0022 code trigger the check engine light? This code will trigger the check engine light under the following condition:

The comprehensive component monitor, referred to as the CCM, monitors the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) position for over-retarded cam timing. If the cam timing exceeds a maximum calibrated limit or is stuck in a retarded position, the check engine light will come on and set this trouble code.

Possible Causes:
Incorrect camshaft timing
VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit
Diagnostic Help:
This check engine light code is caused by a mechanical fault of the VCT unit or related components, so there is no need for electrical diagnosis. Possible symptoms may include rough idle, stall or hard start. Refer to manufacturer specific component tests for the VCT unit. You may also use the "Get Help" link if you need specifications or have any other related questions. Remember to refer to an appropriate manual for specific instructions.
Thanks very much for such a prompt response. I have read lots about the issue since I posted the topic and have a few more questions...

1.)When starting my truck up in the morning(55 F) the truck sounds the same as when its warmed up. From what I have read the cam phasers knock only when warm. Truck sounds the same warm and cold.

2.)Should my next step be to replace the VCT solenoid? I am guessing this is the next logical thing to check.

What do you recommend? What should be my next step?

Also some food for thought. Truck ran great this morning. Not a hint of wanting to stall. Ran really really smoothe. Any help guys would be great!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by mjlater
Last Thursday I got my oil changed(5w-40) at my local Ford dealership.
Martin

Before jumping on the band wagon and replacing parts. Verify that you have 5W20 in your motor and not 5W40. The thicker oil could be the cause for sudden VTC issues.

Start with that before anything else.

Another thought, since the truck is new to you, did the previous owner change the phasers? If so might they have installed them 1 tooth off on the gear. This might cause this code.

Hope this helps and you find a fix.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Martin

Before jumping on the band wagon and replacing parts. Verify that you have 5W20 in your motor and not 5W40. The thicker oil could be the cause for sudden VTC issues.

Start with that before anything else.

Another thought, since the truck is new to you, did the previous owner change the phasers? If so might they have installed them 1 tooth off on the gear. This might cause this code.

Hope this helps and you find a fix.
Thanks for the help!!! My receipt from Ford said they put 5w20. I am going to go by their today and get it changed again. Ill post up again tonight and let you guys know what happens.

I'm also going to pull the VCT solenoids tonight and inpect them... What should I look for? Are they cleanable? If so with what? Also I plan on switching sides with them and seeing what happens. If the driversn side is bad I should get a P0012? Again guys thanks very very much!!!

I bought the truck used about three weeks ago from a dealership. If they would have installed it one tooth off wouldnt it been acting wierd the whole time?

Thanks,
Martin

Quick Reply: P0022 help!!!