2004 - 2008 F-150

Odometer light replacement?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent Post

This is excellent post/thread. It was annoying not being able to see the display at night. Sadly, I put up with this for almost 2 years before this 15 minute fix.

I've been told by 2 different repair shops that my 2007 XLT instrument cluster would need to be replaced and I should go to Ford Dealer for that $400 repair. That seemed like BS to me. So I did some Google searches and found this thread. I'm glad I did.

In retrospect, I wish I had taken a few pictures to show the additional little bit of clarity on the back side of the cluster - but it really was so simple that I would recommend this for anyone who can turn a nut driver. The only thing I would have added was the back views of the instrument cluster once removed.

To get to the burned out bulb takes a total of 11 screws:

(2) 7MM in lower cover under steering column, (2) 7MM in upper dash over steering wheel, (4) 7MM to remove the instrument cluster, and (3) T20 to remove the white plastic backing near the light bulbs on the back of the instrument cluster. My XLT has also the gas/brake adjustment switch to be disconnected in the upper cover. Word of caution, make sure the shifter indicator cable has no kinks when you reinstall or it may not line up on proper gear when you put it back together.

You could probably access the cluster without removing some of the T20s, but I didn't want to damage the plastic. You then twist out the bulb connector that is screwed into the printed circuit board (may require a needle-nose pinch on the holders on the side). Be gentle with the lamp-holder ... this is a fragile piece of plastic in a fragile printed circuit board.

In the end, the lamp in mine was not marked but would work as a 73LL or 74LL (only difference is wattage of the bulb 1.1 vs 1.4 watts) and there was no x-reference in the books at Advance Auto. So I got (2) 74LLs in a pack for $5 so I'm ready for next time. Total repair took 15 minutes (after having to partially disassemble it again to fix the shifter cable. If I had to do it again, it should take no more than 5 minutes total.

I was amazed how friggin' dirty it was behind all the plastic. Am I really that messy? Wow.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subbed
I gotta do this on my 07.
The weird thing is it started working the other week, but I think I'll change the LED to be safe.
Good to know its really easy!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 AM
I had this same problem on my 07' XLT that I drive for work. It was very annoying and because it was my work truck and not owned by me I didn't ask to get it fixed. I searched the forum and found this easy fix so I bought the bulbs and had the job done in less than 30 mins. This forum is a great resource and I continue to read and learn things about my own truck.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 AM
I am going to attempt this this weekend if the weather gets above 20 degrees!! Thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odometer light replacement?