2004 - 2008 F-150

2005 Fx4 4 wheel drive wont engage!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Fx4 4 wheel drive wont engage!!!???

I was driving on the highway and heard a grinding noise coming from the front of the truck pulled over and stopped and it went away. That happened twice that day. Figured out that it might be the IWE solenoid for the 4 wheel drive. I took it down a dirt road to see if the 4 wheel drive worked. 4hi and 4low both worked. the next day I got the new IWE solenoid and decided to see if the 4x4 was still working before I put on the new IWE and nothing no indicator lights on dash or sounds from hubs engaging. I went ahead and put the new IWE solenoid on and same thing no 4x4 indicator lights or 4x4. What could cause the 4x4 to stop working after it worked the day before?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Might be the shift motor going in and out. It gets corroded down there under the truck. May be a coincidence it happened when it did. There is a round sleeve in the shift motor that gets deformed over time (its treated as a hardstop). The fingers wander off the contacts and the motor does not know where it is, so it does nothing...If you are so inclined, there's plenty of write-ups to describe the fix...

Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I decided hit the motor on the transfer case with a hammer after reading some threads on here and it is now working. Now after I take it out of 4wd and hit the gas in 2wd it feels like there is a slip to the drivetrain when I first start out but seems to go away after I drive a couple of miles. Whats up with that?? Has never happened before all these problems.

Quick Reply: 2005 Fx4 4 wheel drive wont engage!!!???