2004 - 2008 F-150

Cam Phaser = Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phaser = Camshaft Position Sensor

Just like the title says. I found the part number for the infamous cam phaser on this forum "3R2Z6A257DA" I've searched all over the internet for that part number and found that its actually called a "Camshaft position sensor"

Camshaft position sensor, f150, mark lt, 5.4l - f150 new style 2004-08, mark lt 2004 - 2007

and runs about $240

So are they the same thing?!

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are two different items........The Cam Phaser is the sprocket assembly that attaches to the camshaft and allows the camshaft to change it's rotation with commands from the PCM. The Camshaft Position Sensor is the electrical connection to the PCM and tells the PCM exactly where the camshaft is positioned. It is located on the front of the Cam covers and has an electrical plug on the end. The actual phasers cannot be seen from the outside of the engine.........Two Different Animals, but they do have a working relationship with one and another

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 PM
quick question, i took my truck to the dealership last week and they told me that it sounds like my cam phase shifter is going out, or something like that.... now i am wondering if that is true, everytime i start my truck up there is a ticking sound that kinda sounds like it is coming from the middle of the engine or on the passenger side, when i drive it changes speed and pitch then when i put it in park it stays the constant tick tick tick pretty fast, the dealer started up my that is what it sounds like and is a common problem with these generation trucks, so my question is are they correct is that the sound that i keep hearing? it bugs the hell out of me cause i can always hear it and it makes it sound bad, they told me it is about a 1200 dollar repair? where they lying? any help would be appreciated... thanks guys

Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 AM
I had mine replaced last summer.....under warrentee but that price is about right....now after having new lifters cam's rollers and phasers it still has a ticking to it.....dealer re warrenteed the motor for 20,000 miles and it has been back to them, and to another mechanic....both told me that with that first generation motor its something that i am gonna just have to deal with....my best friend is a ford mechanic he said that the ticking won't hurt my truck so i trust in what he had to say, other than dealer he is the only one to touch my baby....so if you have the money or warentee do it if not just turn up the radio.....

Old 05-08-2010, 01:42 AM
well that sucks, i would rather just listen to the raido for a bit, hopefully by the end of this year i will be selling the truck anyways and don't want to waste fixing if it i am not going to keep it, but if i don't fix it there is nothing more serious that can happen is there? like it isn't going to break and tear something up or anything like that?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:19 AM
From what the dealer and my buddy said i don't think so....i think its just the nature of the 1st generation 3v so personally i am gonna let mine ride like it is and whatever happens happens....i do love my truck tho so i put some lucas oil stabilizer in it just to keep stuff nice and tight

Old 05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
ok thanks for the info, i was just wondering i am probably going to sell the truck anyways within the next 6 months i am hopeing and just don't want to fix it before i sell it...

Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Ive heard that the tick is actually fuel injectors. and a cam position sensor from oreillys is like 10 or 20 bucks i dont remember but it took about 10 minutes to change.

Quick Reply: Cam Phaser = Camshaft Position Sensor