2004 - 2008 F-150

DIY spark plug story w/ a happy ending...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY spark plug story w/ a happy ending...

... but just barely.

New member here. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I have a 2004 F150 S-cab with the 5.4 L motor. I bought the truck brand new in June 2004 (02/04 build date) and currently have 62,800 miles on her.

Though the truck was running fine, I decided a few weeks ago that my 6 year old truck could use some new spark plugs, despite the 100,000 mile recommendation in the manual. Since I've done most of the maintenance myself for the past 4 years (oil changes, tranny fluid/filter, coolant flush, f/r brake job, etc.), I figured I would just do it myself. After all, how hard can it be? A quick search of the web turned up numerous hits and lead me to this site. It sounded like the sooner I could get the original plugs out the better.

After searching and reading for hours on this forum, I finally decided I didn't want to tackle this myself and called the three Ford dealers here in Austin. The cheapest quote I got was $250 for the plug change then $100 per broken plug, up to a max of 3, for a potential total of ~$550.

So, I thought, maybe I'll try it myself after all. I'll do just what the TSB says, but I'll be extra careful and maybe get lucky and not break any. Just in case, I went ahead and bought the Lisle pusher/extractor, even though I figured I would just return it since I probably wouldn't need it anyway :o. I also bought the Aerokroil spray and nickel anti-seize, and had all the other tools I needed. Oh, and I decided to go back with the Motorcraft plugs after reading numerous posts on this site.

So, I got started this past Sunday at 1:30 in the afternoon, beginning with the driver's side. I moved the PCM and battery connections to gain better access. I then removed all COPs, carefully loosened all the plugs a little, sprayed the Aero, etc. It was 1.5 hours from spraying plug #1 until I started to try to back it out. Seemed really hard, but finally started to give. Awesome, I thought as I pulled it out, it worked!

Or not. Damn thing was missing the electrode sheath and I realized the porcelain was broken off inside it, just like all the pictures I had seen. I used the Lisle tool to get the thing out, but had trouble tapping the new threads and it took me nearly 30 minutes to get it. So, now its 3:30 and I've removed exactly 1 plug. So much for being really careful and being able to get my money back on the Lisle tool.

Plug #2 made some god-awful noises coming out and I figured it was a goner too. But, I'll be damned if it didn't come out intact, and so did #3! Awesome, I must have just had bad luck on #1 and now I'm home free! And then, of course, #4 broke off. I spent an hour contorting myself to get that crazy thing out of there, using a mirror and lots of choice words to make the job easier. I put in all 4 new plugs (with the nickel anti-seize), started her up, and she sounded fine. So, it took me 4.5 hours to get half-way done. All the while I'm thinking that the passenger side must surely be easier...

After stopping for supper and to help put the kids to bed, I started back up at 9:00 pm. Removed several hoses/cords so I could get to the COPs. Same procedure as on the driver's side, letting the Aero soak for over 1 hour. And wouldn't you know it, #5 breaks off. Then #6. Then #7. And, just for good measure, so did #8. A perfect 4/4 on the passenger side, yippee - f----ing - skip. After putting in all 4 new plugs, I think I cried a few tears of joy as I put the last COP back on.

Well, its now 1:00 in the morning, and me and my garage are a mess. I drove the truck around for about 10 minutes without any signs of trouble, went home, cleaned up the garage and myself, and was in bed by 2:00 am. Boy, talk about a fun day . All in all, it took me just over 8 hours to do the whole job. Good thing I don't charge by the hour .

She's been running great the past 2 days. In retrospect, I don't regret doing it myself at all. I spent around $200 dollars for the plugs, Lisle tool, and anti-seize, vs the $550 I would have likely spent at the dealer. Plus, I have the satisfaction of knowing I acccomplished it myself.

The funny thing is, the truck runs the same now as it did 1 week ago. I probably could have just waited and not done the plugs for a few years or maybe not at all. But, I plan on keeping it for quite some time and I figure that's one less thing to worry about in the future.

A few other nuggets of info:

-The plugs broke in a variety of ways and made the process that much more stressful, as I at first thought I couldn't get the things out in a few cases. But, on each one all I needed was the Lisle tool and a pair of long-handled needle-nose pliers.
-I had put fuel system cleaner in the truck with the past 2 tankfuls of gas, and I always run high-quality gas. Fat load of good that did me.
-The 2 plugs that didn't break coming out made the screeching sound I had read about; the other 6 came out hard but were silent.
-I plan on selling my Lisle tool (65600) and the rest of my nickel anti-seize (Permatex), as I hope I'll never need them again. The Lisle tool looks nearly new depsite being used 6 times and I probably used 0.0005 % of the huge jar of anti-seize I got. PM me if you'd like to buy either or both.

Here's a link to the pic I took of the broken plugs. The top row L to R is # 1-4, bottom row is #5-8.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...rk-plugs-2.jpg

Thanks to all those folks on this site that have provided and continue to provide info on this process. I couldn't have done it without the F150online community. It just seems silly that I'm so excited about changing out my own spark plugs!

Last edited by Southbound 35; 04-14-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 04-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats. That is a lot cheaper than what you could have spent at a dealership. It's crazy to think changing spark plugs can cost so much money and time.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome to the site. Fantastic first post! I had mine done at the dealer at 65,500 for $325 and none broke, but if you have been reading for awhile, you already know that. LOL Mine too could have gone much longer as it ran no better after the change. I plan on going to about 90,000 on this set.

To post pics, upload them to an album on your profile and then you can post from there. There are detailed instructions in a sticky thread in Questions About the Site. You cant post pics directly from your computer, must come from a hosted site such as the albums or Photobucket.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the info, should have read the Questions section first. I'll give it a try.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You followed an outdated TSB. Ford changed the recommendation from Kroil to carb cleaner.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Actually, in the TSB I had it said to use Motorcraft carb cleaner. After multiple phone calls around town and several searches on the web, I had no luck finding any I could purchase. So, I went with the Aero that I had read good things about on here and on other sites.

Honestly, I don't know how much of a difference it would have made. My truck is old enough and with enough miles that I'm not surprised so many plugs broke. Plus, I read a number of posts of guys having the same results I did even using the carb cleaner.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Sounds like you didn't try the Ford dealer.........

Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kudos to you Sir, & your huge accomplishment!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Congrats man. Im too scared to tackle something like this

Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Congrats, the sense of satisfaction by doing it yourself is great!

I have an 07 SCREW 5.4 3V and have also read entry after entry on the horrors of changing plugs on this motor. This is my first Ford truck and I bought it used with about 12K on the clock. I have changed my own plugs before, all my life but this breakage issue makes you think.....

I asked the Service Writer at the Ford dealer I bought the truck from about the plug change... His comment, " The plugs are good for 100k and most folks just trade them in before it is needed" His comment did not give me that warm and fuzzy feeling........

We are only at 23K now on the clock so I have time. Thanks again for your write-up.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Southbound, you a Pat Green fan?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM
congrats. outa curiosity which plugs did you go with for replacements. i did mine myself at 72000 none broke. i put in motocrafts but i'm wondering if i shoulda went with the brisks.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Excellent story I need to get that Lisle tool from you - I'm about to venture into changing the plugs on my truck, with 110,000 miles After reading your story I think I'll start on them on a Saturday morning hoping to finish up by Sunday night.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by poptop
congrats. outa curiosity which plugs did you go with for replacements. i did mine myself at 72000 none broke. i put in motocrafts but i'm wondering if i shoulda went with the brisks.
Does Brisk now make a plug for this engine? It was just Champion, Autolight, and Bosch. You did well with the Motorcrafts.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Congrats man. Im too scared to tackle something like this
me too..

Quick Reply: DIY spark plug story w/ a happy ending...