2004 - 2008 F-150

Obd p0451

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obd p0451

On our '04 F150 Lauriat, after replacing the fuel pump, modulator, fuse panel we picked the truck up and is had the the check engine light on. Mechanic did a OBD and said it was emissions. Still took the truck home as we'd been down w/o it for two weeks at that time, it wouldn't start the next day. Jumped it, found bad cells in the battery and replaced it. Check engine light still on. Took the truck back to the mechanic to look further into the issue. Mechanic says it's the Evap Emission Controle System Pressure Sensor and you just can't replace that sensor you have to do the entire module for a whopping $520. We did change the gas cap, disconnected and reconnected the battery and the check engine light did go out. But mechanic says he checked the specific sensor and it is bad so it won't pass inspection when we go next month for that. I read strings that this is possible to eliminate the message and it is still a bad sensor my question, do you really need to replace the entire module at that price?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store and purchase yourself a ford code reader that will also clear codes, last I heard they were about 90 bucks. Read then clear the codes on your truck and drive it, wait and see if it comes back and if it does how long before it does. If it stays away for at least a couple of days, then just clear it right before you go in for the inspection. Thats what I do for my daughters 01 cavalier, its had a bad evap system for about 4 years and when we clear it she's good for about 3 days before it comes back, right after I clear it, she takes right down for the inspection and then she's good for another 2 years.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Go to your local auto parts store and purchase yourself a ford code reader that will also clear codes, last I heard they were about 90 bucks. Read then clear the codes on your truck and drive it, wait and see if it comes back and if it does how long before it does. If it stays away for at least a couple of days, then just clear it right before you go in for the inspection. Thats what I do for my daughters 01 cavalier, its had a bad evap system for about 4 years and when we clear it she's good for about 3 days before it comes back, right after I clear it, she takes right down for the inspection and then she's good for another 2 years.

Wont work on our trucks it will show up as a PO1000 code.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here in OH they ignore the P1000 code, it shows up on the cavalier too.

Quick Reply: Obd p0451