2004 - 2008 F-150

can't get rear discs off of a 2004 F150 new body style.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry can't get rear discs off of a 2004 F150 new body style.

I have a 2004 F150 new body style and I am throwing in the wrench. I have tried and tried ro get the rear disc off of this thing and they wont budge. I even went out and bought a haynes manual and their advise doesn't hepl me out either. So I am asking the big dogs now for some help. Their is no way to get into the back of the drum on the disc to loosen anything as far as I know. I have tried that and no such luck. The cable that goes to the passanger side for the e brake has actually come off of the brake shoe itself. I have tried everything minus a sledge hammer and nothing. So please can anyone help me out here?

Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 AM
There is a plug on the back plate under the axle. You can loosen the ebreak adjuster in the hole with a screwdriver and get them off. Make sure your turning it the right way and they should come off after that.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the biggest, gnarliest hammer you've got, some ear plugs and a can of PB Blaster. Spray PB Blaster generously around the face of the rotor and around the wheel studs, try to get it to wick in between the rotor and axle flange. Get your ear plugs on and go to town with the hammer against the face of the rotor around the wheel studs. I dunno if you live in a rust belt state, but sometimes you've just gotta beat the hell out of 'em with the biggest hammer you've got.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Get the biggest, gnarliest hammer you've got, some ear plugs and a can of PB Blaster. Spray PB Blaster generously around the face of the rotor and around the wheel studs, try to get it to wick in between the rotor and axle flange. Get your ear plugs on and go to town with the hammer against the face of the rotor around the wheel studs. I dunno if you live in a rust belt state, but sometimes you've just gotta beat the hell out of 'em with the biggest hammer you've got.
This is what i had to do! Something about putting the back wheels into saltwater every weekend.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
i just did the repair to my seized drivers side parking brake lever yesterday. i struggled to get the rear discs off. i tried heating one side up with a torch and still could not get the discs to budge. i beat on the outside of the disc around the studs, i beat on the end of the axle, and i used a dead blow on the inside of the disc all with no movement on the disc.

what eventually did work was i used a pickle fork to pry between the caliper mounting bracket and the disc. i used my dead blow hammer on the end of the fork and was able to get the disc to move. i kept rotating the disc around and prying until it was free.

i used a ton of anti seize when reassembling, so this should not be a problem again.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Woo hoo! Thread revival! Search feature works again!

I had leaky axle rear seals. When we assembled my rear rotors we applied anti-seize as well so the rotor would come right off next time.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
This is what I did as well. PB Blaster and a hammer. Really focus on beating the face of the drum, not the sides. Just beat the hell out of it...especially if you'll be replacing them. Makes me wonder that there has to be some kind of puller for these.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Before you get too pissed and bust something do what one of the other posters said. The e-brake is a drum style pad inside of the back rotors. There should be a rubber plug near the bottom (inside) of the drum, actually the backing plate. Pop the plug off and rotate the star wheel to loosen the brake pads. Sorry can't remember which way...trial and error. But the pads wear a lip on the inside of the drum which doesn't help trying to pull them off. If that doesn't work, beat the $h17 outta it! lol

Old 03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by COCIMitch
Before you get too pissed and bust something do what one of the other posters said.
I hope he hasn't spent 4 years trying to get his rear discs off.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I know it's not gonna help the op but I made a little tool to get my rear rotors off. I just took a piece of scrap steel and cut it to fit between the ears that hold the caliper on. I then drilled a 1/2" hole in it and put a 3" 1/2" bolt though that and then a nut. I then just put an wrench on the nut and tightened the bolt. It poped the rotor off with no sweat. I had been bangin away on it for quite awhile before i did this and was getting frustrated. Worked like a charm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't get rear discs off of a 2004 F150 new body style.