2004 - 2008 F-150

How to Re-aim your Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is kinda old but i just had to comment on something that seams ilogical to me. This explains clearly the established way of aligning the headlights - but it doesn't make sense to me. It seems illogical to use an initial reference line taken from the actual headlights because they may be misaligned to begin-with!?

In my case, one headlight look lower than the other (just installed HIDs) so i figure that by aligning them at stock height, I would level the and at at the same time i would go ahead and lower them slightly because of the HIDs.

When i started to do it, i got confused when the first thing you do is "draw a horizontal line at the center of the headlights". In my case, the light intensity against the wall at about 1 ft. on the left headlight does show slightly lower; so i asked myself: do i draw a horizontal line using the lower one as reference or the higher one? Or is it the average??

I think there should be an establish set of measurements in order to achieve a stock height i.e. measure a vertical line 4 ft. from the ground and a 10 ft horizontal line level and centered on the vertical line.

Take for example, if you set about aligning a stock-height truck and one that have been lifted (or lowered) 4 in., you would end-up with both properly aligned according to this procedure), yet the lights on one truck would be 4 in. higher than the other

I'm not complaining about what is written here, in fact it's one of the better how-to's I've seen (which would have been even better against a plain wall) but they all begin by drawing that initial reference line by taking the existing headlight height as a reference. I think that method is illogical at best or just plain wrong at worst.

Unless this procedure only insures the lights are pointing dead ahead??

Just saying..

Last edited by treetop777; 01-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by treetop777
This thread is kinda old but i just had to comment on something that seams ilogical to me. This explains clearly the established way of aligning the headlights but is that procedure logical? I think not (unless i'm missing something) that it not logical to use an initial reference line taken from the actual headlights that may be missalighned to begin-with!?

In my case, one headlight look lower than the other (just installed HIDs) so i figure that by alighning them at stock height i would level the and could also lower them slightly because of the HIDs.

When i started to do it, i got confused when the first thing you do is "draw a horizontal line at the center of the headlights". In my case, the light intensity against the wall at about 1 ft. does show lower on one side; so do i draw a horizontal line using the lower one as reference or the higher one? Or is it the average??

I think there should be an establish set of measurements in order to achieve a stock height i.e. measure a vertical line 4 ft. from the ground and a 10 ft horizontal line level and centered on the vertical line.

See what I'm saying? In other words for example, if you set about aligning a stock-height truck and one that have been lifted (or lowered) 4 in., you would end-up with both properly aligned, yet the lights on one truck would be 4 in. higher than the other.

I'm not complaining about what is written here, in fact it's one of the better how-to's I've seen (which would have been even better against a plain wall) but they all begin by drawing that initial reference line by taking the existing headlight height as a reference. I think that method is illogical at best or just plain wrong at worst.

Unless this procedure only insures the lights are pointing dead ahead??

Just saying..
Hi.

You want the proper method for HID's? Refer to the info within this post: https://www.f150online.com/forums/5047634-post10.html

NOTE - this ONLY applies to proper projector HID / retrofits, and NOT a POS PnP Hid kit installed into an OEM reflector that was designed for halogen bulbs only.

IF you do happen to have a PnP kit, it is difficult at best to discern any sort of beam pattern given the horrible uncontrolled glaring mess the output is - aiming them low is a necessity simply to reduce (but never eliminate) blinding oncoming traffic.

Of course, doing so reduces the crappy usable light even further - almost to a point of being completely useless (yes - a 'pattern' consisting of 99% foreground light is useless).

You did not specify yer specific system ... Hence - it is subsequently difficult to advise you further in any cogent fashion.

For yer reference: www.theretrofitsource.com

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-11-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell us how you REALLY feel! Got the kit for xmas; it's a 35W 6000K HidExtra signature series HI/LO that worked out the box. I hate that the hi beam is still halogen tho. I do like the 6000K color of the low beams however. Anyway, i figured i through them in there and see; besides, i wanted to see whether it's true or not that at least the last year of the Mark LT has "HID compatible" headlights.

You're right the light projected is wild and dispersed but it does fade abruptly (at the top) at a certain point - nothing like the line you see with a HID projector lens though. I have not had any one flash me so far.

I will look at the link. Thanks. At the very least, i will use the lower light beam as a reference to even them at the same height and then lower both a couple inches. Got forbid i blind you on the highway - i may be in for a high-speed chase! J/K

Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by treetop777
Tell us how you REALLY feel! Got the kit for xmas; it's a 35W 6000K HidExtra signature series HI/LO that worked out the box. I hate that the hi beam is still halogen tho. I do like the 6000K color of the low beams however. Anyway, i figured i through them in there and see; besides, i wanted to see whether it's true or not that at least the last year of the Mark LT has "HID compatible" headlights.

You're right the light projected is wild and dispersed but it does fade abruptly (at the top) at a certain point - nothing like the line you see with a HID projector lens though. I have not had any one flash me so far.

I will look at the link. Thanks. At the very least, i will use the lower light beam as a reference to even them at the same height and then lower both a couple inches. Got forbid i blind you on the highway - i may be in for a high-speed chase! J/K
LMAO !!!

There isn't a shred of BS in that post - I reckon you'd appreciate the truth

Thankee fer not takin' me too serious-like, thar sir.

MGD

Quick Reply: How to Re-aim your Headlights