2004 - 2008 F-150

How to remove rear brake rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a sledge hammer, choke up on the handle, and proceed to hit it until it breaks loose. The trick is not to take a baseball swing, but have some force behind it. I had the same problem on a '01 Taurus.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:47 PM
If your at the point of smacking the crap outta your rotors to remove them you have already wrote them off. Get a cuttoff wheel on a die grinder and cut a slot in the crown of the rotor. You will be able to tell when you get through when the sparks shoot through instead of towards you. This small relief cut will work wonders, trust me!!! way better on your truck than heat or throwing a hammer at it repeatedly.

It works with minimal sweat and cussing

Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by kiernan kelley
I have a 2006 f150 4x4 that I need to get the rotors off to have them turned but I can't get them off. i released the the emergence star and it still won't come off. The truck only has 59000 miles on it . I need some help.
I am not an expert, but I have been reading posts about this and until an expert answers your question, I thought I would add that there are Rotor pullers that people have used to pull off their rotors. They mentioned that they had to leave it on for a day or two, using liquid wrench and then the old rotors finally came off.

The most popular method seems to be using a big sledge hammer hitting on the outside of the rotor (toward the axel) to break up the rust, then hitting from the back (away from the axel) to knock the suckers off.

There have been some cautionary tales about not doing damage to the ball bearings by hitting too hard, but this seems to be the most effective solution that I have read. Someone used a 4lb hammer, without rubber. Another person said, it was best to use one with rubber. Not sure if any of this helps, but I guess hitting on the outside of the rotor can help break down the rust, and then hitting from the back (outwards) which is logical, can then knock the rotor off. They said you needed to hit pretty hard.

I am going to try a rotor puller on my car, because I do not have a lift. But who knows, it may not work. Good luck and hopefully an expert will get on here and answer your question.

Quick Reply: How to remove rear brake rotors???