Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to blackf150337
Gauges Going Crazy After Start

Searched for about thirty minutes and couldn't find anything. I've posted plenty of how-to's so bare with me if this topic has already been discussed.

When I try to start my truck, the engine barely starts, my head lights come on for a brief second, and my gauges bounce out of control. I need to fix this problem or else the continuous brief flash of my HID head lights will damage my bulbs.

I have had my battery die in the past 3 months after not starting it for 3 days. The only thing I can think of is that I have a bad battery. If anyone has experienced this and fixed it please let me know.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150 5.4
Send a message via AIM to TruckGuy24
Get the battery tested. Also, could it be an alternator on the way out?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2007 ford f150
if its the stock battery then it may be time for a new one. yesterday i had my dash light/radio and headlights on only for 10-15mins top and my battery died. i had to call triple A to give me a jump. the guy said my battery was good just drained and he also said that batteries only last 3-5 yrs and my truck is an 07 so, it could be time for a new battery since yours is an 05.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150, 5.0
The gauges bouncing is the first sign of a bad battery. Your's has lasted longer than most of the newer ones.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
it is defiantly your battery i was having the same problem not starting hard to start lights coming on when switch was off fuel pump clicking when key was out... got my battery replace and it stopped doing it

Performance: PHP Gryphon, Troyer E-fans & UDPs, S&B CAI, Roush O/R, Bilstein 5100s F/R
Appearance: 4" CF Cowl hood, Saleen grill, Recon smoked tails and 3rd, 17" Black Rhino Rockwells, 285-75-17 Nitto TG's, OE TT Mirrors and Fog Bumper
Audio: Pioneer P4, Cerwin Vega Vmax 10", Fusion 6.5" components, Kenwood Amps
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford - Saleen FX2 - S331
after checking the battery and alternator you need to check for a voltage drop test/battery drain overnight or when not in use. Something is staying on and it prolly drain your batt. You could do this test with a volt meter.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Its your battery. Mine did the same thing until I got a new battery.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to blackf150337
alright so it's the battery... crazy, my dad's 04 f150 still has the factory installed battery and it cranks up fine...i have cycled it way more than he has though. thanks for the help guys i'll go have my battery tested in the morning.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150, 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150337 View Post
alright so it's the battery... crazy, my dad's 04 f150 still has the factory installed battery and it cranks up fine...i have cycled it way more than he has though. thanks for the help guys i'll go have my battery tested in the morning.
These trucks take a lot of juice. There are a lot of systems that stayed powered all the time. My original battery lasted 35 months, went dead immediatly while I was in a store.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Needle sweep is a true sign of a bad battery and or altenator. My truck is starting to act funky too. Hard starting and chugs everyonce in a while at first start up. I better get a new battery before the winter starts and cold weather gets here. Even though I work at a garage and that's where I am 75% of the time. But knowing my luck I won't be at work at ill be dead in a parking lot and now having someone to help haha

6000k 55w heads and fogs/ Mamba M2 wheels/ True Dual 2.5in w. high flow cats/ Smoked LED tails/ 35x12.5x20 Federal M/Ts/ Custom Raptor style grill/ Hella 500s(6000k)/ Hella 700s(6000k)/ 6 head 120w strobe kit/ N-Fab prerunner light bar/ 9" procomp/ 4" Skyjacker AAL/ Avic D3/ Windshield 35%/ LoPro toolbox/ Tow Mirrors
Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Sounds like the battery to me as well. My old Mustang gauges did the same thing when it was time for a new battery.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150337 View Post
Searched for about thirty minutes and couldn't find anything. I've posted plenty of how-to's so bare with me if this topic has already been discussed.

When I try to start my truck, the engine barely starts, my head lights come on for a brief second, and my gauges bounce out of control. I need to fix this problem or else the continuous brief flash of my HID head lights will damage my bulbs.

I have had my battery die in the past 3 months after not starting it for 3 days. The only thing I can think of is that I have a bad battery. If anyone has experienced this and fixed it please let me know.
I'd say battery...
Believe it or not I'm on my 3rd battery in less than a year and only 10k miles.. First battery was replaced the day I took delivery of my 2008 f150. Dealer drove truck to front drive for me to drive home. It hadn't sit more than 20 minutes before I got in it to start and drive away. It did exactly what yours did but wouldn't start. Dealer replaced battery and all was fine for 8 months. Then it did it again several times within a few weeks. I took it to a different dealer and they determined it was a bad battery (wouldnt hold a charge) and noted that the battery had already been replaced once before. They scratched their head not knowing why I was going through so many batteries.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 PM