2004 - 2008 F-150

Infamous Black and Lt blue dome light wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infamous Black and Lt blue dome light wire

Can somebody please clear up which wire in the door sills that delivers power to the dome lights? I need it to tap into it to wire in puddle lamps on the trailer towing mirrors. There have been a lot f150 owners helping on that thread regarding the installation, but the thread is more geared to the installation of the tt mirrors.

Once I get this cleared up, I think I will post it in (with pics) "How to", so everybody can fix their truck to match up to the TT mirror.

I have found a heavier gauge wire (maybe 14?) in the sill that is light blue and black but I am not sure.

Also, how would one get the covers off of the the dome and map lights? I have the 3 door roof organizer, I could not see how to get to the bulbs. I wanted to refernece the color of the wires.

Thanks Tommy

Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd really like to see a How To on how to do this as I plan on doing this upgrade in the near future for sure!

To remove the dome lights and housing, just pry the housing itself down with a screwdriver or something similar. It is just held in by 2-4 clips depending on which one you are talking about and comes out and the bulb is under there.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM
thanks, I thought I was going to rip the headliner and pull the roof through, but it came off? Maps light must be the same?

I found a black and blue light gauge wire in the sill, at the dome and on the plug at the driver side, kick panel green plug.

The passengers side black and lt blue stripe does not seem to be the dome, I have tested it and there is not power there when the dome is on.

I will keep posting until I find it, somebody has got to know. As for now I am going to pull power from the drivers side?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Did you figure it out? I'd like to wire up the puddles also.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, there is a light-blue wire that is for the accessory lighting inside the cab

it runs down the drivers side in the door sill, across the back of the cab, and back up the passenger side to the passenger kick panel to the fuse box.

somewhere by the rear door latch, it branches off up to the 3rd brakelight. also, it branches off to run up the drivers pillar to the dome light.

pull the dome light down and you will see 2 different wiring harnesses. 1 harness will be for the dome light and will have that light-blue wire. the other harness is for the moonroof if equipped.

if you pull up your passenger kick plate, you will see a wire loom about 2" thick wrapped in electrical tape. have fun digging. That light-blue wire took me about 10 minutes to find in there.

hope these help

Name:  MainWiringHarnessDiagram.jpg
Views: 32437
Size:  155.9 KB

Name:  InteriorLampSchematic.jpg
Views: 25005
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  MirrorWiring.jpg
Views: 20158
Size:  136.2 KB

Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Holy Crap dude, do you wire the trucks? That is pretty sweet.

I did get it done today. I am not sure why, but the black and light blue wire in the passangers sill would not do this task fore me. This explains it, in reverse order.

I found on a "how to" from scully (i think) and used wire 53, a black and lt blue wire on a plug behind the drivers kick panel. There are two wires in that area, I would suggest checking that thread for the right one. Once you find it, you can use it to power a couple extra lamps matched to you dome activity or to a relay.

Regarding the puddle lights, I moved the pins on the mirror harness to match the new tt mirrors and brought 2 leads from wire 53 (black and blue, drivers side) to deliver power to those 2 pins.

Check the Tasca site for your trucks mirrors plug and match it to the new mirrows plug.

Special thanks to Labman and a few other guys in that original thread regarding the TT mirror swap. That thread is pretty long now.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Ok.... let me get this straight. The wiring diagram shows a black wire with blue stripe. But Tylus said to find the lt blue wire. I have found the blk wire with lt blue stripe. When tested, it has no power. I have not yet looked for a lt blue wire.
So tell me, what wire is it before I go digging into this harness further. Thanks for the help! The mirrors are installed, EVERYTHING else on the mirrors work great. I would really like to get the puddle lamps to work.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the4by4freek
Ok.... let me get this straight. The wiring diagram shows a black wire with blue stripe. But Tylus said to find the lt blue wire. I have found the blk wire with lt blue stripe. When tested, it has no power. I have not yet looked for a lt blue wire.
So tell me, what wire is it before I go digging into this harness further. Thanks for the help! The mirrors are installed, EVERYTHING else on the mirrors work great. I would really like to get the puddle lamps to work.
the lt blue wire is on the 10 minute battery saver circuit.

shut all the doors, then open the door and test the wire for voltage. this wire supplies power to the dome light inside the cab. after 10 minutes, the Inst. Cluster turns off the power to this wire to save the battery.

I had problems finding this wire in my 2006. There were 2-3 lt blue wires in that main harness by the passenger door. Eventually I found it

Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM
I had to run a wire from the driver side to passenger side to get mine to work. I couldnt find power on the passenger side on the black lt blue. Oh and I highly reccommend changing the lamps out for LED. Looks and performs great.

Quick Reply: Infamous Black and Lt blue dome light wire