2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 Ford F150 - Some advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford F150 - Some advice?

Okay so I am the proud owner of a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 SCREW, BLACK, with the 5.4L Triton V8 3V in it. It has 138k miles on it, and so far I've had to put plugs in it, and replace one 'COP' on it. Being the proud owner of this truck I am also the proud owner of those lovely ticking cam phasers.

I intend to do them myself. However my dealer wants DOUBLE what I want to pay for the phasers, I am certain I can probably find them cheaper online. My question was does anyone know where I can find the phasers themselves for this truck, as well as the wedge, and lash adjusters. I was also looking at possibly replacing the VCT Solenoid sensors on both sides while I was at it. So my question was really where is the best place on the net to order them from, at the best price?

My next question is concerning tuners. I visited the programmer and tuner section of this forum, prior to registering. I am new to the world of tuning, but I was considering ordering a gryphon tuner from PHP for my truck. My problem with doing this, is that it looked pretty complicated. What I am wanting to do is basically just plug it up, to rid of that nasty throttle-by-wire lag. I like to go fast sometimes, but other times I tow, and other times I'd be looking for economy. If I got a gryphon tuner (Edge evolution) I assume, does it retain all the same features as the edge evolution, what is this HEX code I have to enter? All I am wanting to do is plug it in to a PC update it if there is an update, go to my truck, plug it in, and it work. The forum post I was reading was showing someone using a program on a PC and going into some pretty complicated stuff - I admit I just skimmed through but this was visual pictures and as I stated it looked complicated.

Okay that part is out of the way, I have one more question. My truck is pretty much stock with the exception of dual pipes, they are H-Pipe duals. Two that goes into one, and then Y's back out to duals again. I was wondering if I had my rear cats cut off, if it would be any louder. The truck is not loud enough. I live in a small town, and no one cares about the noise of them, nor do the cops inspect or check under the truck for those type of things. So with that out of the way would I gain any noise for it? Basically its going to cost me 150 to do it, is the noise gain worth the 150?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well first I want to say welcome to the forum here is a link to a DIy on the Camp phaser, which should explain everything. https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...placement.html I also have 7 COPS that I am selling since you only replaced oine whcihis what I did also adn never got aroudn to replacing all of them. I sold the truck and no longer need them. Good Luck on the phaser just know it might take a weekend, if you are taking your time, which is what i did. I replaced both of them.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ford F150 - Some advice?