2004 - 2008 F-150

Is there such thing as a 2-piece rotor/hub replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tb69396
It looks like a cheaper rotor is the only difference. The only place you can find the part number is in this bulletin though.

http://www.centricparts.com/files/te...alBulletin.pdf

Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm not an 2005 F150 owner. I drive a Geo Metro 3 banger. I'm looking for information for my brother whom is not computer savy.

He went to a brake shop to have his front rotors replaced and they told him it would cost $600.00. The shop told him he needed to replace the factory hubs to change the rotors.
While my search for the parts I found plain rotors and rotors with bearings wheel studs.
All of the hubs I found were for 4WD trucks?
Brothers truck is a 2005 XLT F150 RWD.

So if you are not having any bearing issues, can one just replace those rotors with the bearings? I also understand that the axel nut needs to be replaced every time a rotor change is done and torqued to 295 pounds.

I priced all the parts out at rockauto.com.
The 4WD hubs are between $94.00 to $132.00 for Timkins.
The rotors are $33.00 no bearings to $75.00 for bearings and stud bolts.
This site carries several brands of parts.

Hey what's up with that plastic ford v6?

Brother already experianced the 4.6 liter v8 spitting out sparkplugs.

Thanks in advance,

James

Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by metro94
Hello everyone,

I'm not an 2005 F150 owner. I drive a Geo Metro 3 banger. I'm looking for information for my brother whom is not computer savy.

He went to a brake shop to have his front rotors replaced and they told him it would cost $600.00. The shop told him he needed to replace the factory hubs to change the rotors.
While my search for the parts I found plain rotors and rotors with bearings wheel studs.
All of the hubs I found were for 4WD trucks?
Brothers truck is a 2005 XLT F150 RWD.

So if you are not having any bearing issues, can one just replace those rotors with the bearings? I also understand that the axel nut needs to be replaced every time a rotor change is done and torqued to 295 pounds.

I priced all the parts out at rockauto.com.
The 4WD hubs are between $94.00 to $132.00 for Timkins.
The rotors are $33.00 no bearings to $75.00 for bearings and stud bolts.
This site carries several brands of parts.

Hey what's up with that plastic ford v6?

Brother already experianced the 4.6 liter v8 spitting out sparkplugs.

Thanks in advance,

James
The front rotors are in fact a one piece with the bearings installed on the 2 wheel drive. There is a company that makes a two piece replacement that several on here have used, Concentric is the name, I think. If you buy the one piece rotors, don't buy the cheapo China ones, they are terrible. Get Wagner or Raybestos so you know you are getting a quality part.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

Now I can give him the answer to his front brake problem. I took a look at the front rotors and his were worn with grooves in rotor face.
I know my brother and he will go the cheap route, but I won't let him buy the cheap China rotors...heh.

Thank you very much!

James

Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Rotors had to be turned within 4 weeks of install. Originally did brake work myself and began to have steering wheel shake again in ~4 weeks. Took to a mechanic to have a look. Rotors required resurfacing. He mentioned he had tried this conversion kit on vehicles before with the same result. Hope this isn't a monthly trend and that your results are better than mine. That said, I do think this is a much better idea than the factory all in one.

Warranty on these can only be claimed by taking parts back to an "Authorized Centric Retailer." This means to get any $ back, you will have to pull off your vehicle and take in. Obviously this is a bit difficult if you buy through Amazon or another online retailer. Would recommend saving the factor hub/rotor until you see how these do.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Thumbs up

Hi Guys, here is your answer... yes, the bearing ( its a cartridge type) can be pressed out of the rotor, once the "C" has been removed.

Here is a list of the front bearing part #'s, (2004-2008 models)

Timken : part # SET930 ( I purchased these for my 2006 4X2 SC)

SKF: part # FW23

***: part # FW314

I currently use HP plated, drilled and slotted F&R rotors on my /06, 5.4L, SC, as well. Stock pads? Hell no!!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by tylthomp
Rotors had to be turned within 4 weeks of install. Originally did brake work myself and began to have steering wheel shake again in ~4 weeks. Took to a mechanic to have a look. Rotors required resurfacing. He mentioned he had tried this conversion kit on vehicles before with the same result. Hope this isn't a monthly trend and that your results are better than mine. That said, I do think this is a much better idea than the factory all in one.

Warranty on these can only be claimed by taking parts back to an "Authorized Centric Retailer." This means to get any $ back, you will have to pull off your vehicle and take in. Obviously this is a bit difficult if you buy through Amazon or another online retailer. Would recommend saving the factor hub/rotor until you see how these do.

I've had mine over a year now and they work great.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 AM
The biggest issue with the OEM rotors warping, is with using the OEM pads.
I recommend using http://carbotechperformance.com/ HP street pads (#1521) F&R pads for all of our F150 trucks.
They'll last you 4 times longer then OEM pads, and are rotor friendly.
Near zero dust, with at least 40% improved brake modulation, and can operate up to 900F degree brake temps.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Hope so, those fricken rotors and hub bearings are expensive! I had to change my boxers after they told me how much

Old 12-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Hope so, those fricken rotors and hub bearings are expensive! I had to change my boxers after they told me how much.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I'm getting ready to order this upgrade kit but I'm finding some discrepancies. According to the Centric website the kit part number is 120.65128 and is for Fr 12/04:Upgrade Kit; Hub & Rotor Assy. This part number is available on Amazon for $132 and even though the product description doesn't mention that it is a two piece rotor and hub it is confirmed in the Q&A section that it is indeed the whole kit. Now I looked on RockAuto for this same part number and it does come up, again with no mention that it is a two piece hub and rotor. So I contacted RockAuto about this and here is the conversation:

Me:
I have a question regarding a part number. The part number is for a Centric rotor and hub conversion for a 2004 2wd F150. The part number is 120.65128 and is listed on your website. I want to verify that this part number is indeed the entire conversion kit and not just the brake rotor. By my research that part number should be for one brake rotor, hub, hub bearing, and retaining nut. I am looking to place an order next month and just want to make sure that is the correct part number.

RockAuto:
The Centric 12065128 comes as shown in the line drawing in our catalog. It is a single rotor with bearing races installed but it doesn't come with the bearings or the spindle nut, which may be purchased separately.

Me:
So this is the one piece rotor/hub piece? I'm looking for the two piece rotor and hub kit. The part number I have came from centric for the two piece hub and rotor kit.

RockAuto:
The information we have on our website is directly from Centric as well. When I look this part up on their website it shows the same info we have. It does not look like this will be 2 pieces, the hub is built into the rotor but the bearing portion is separate.

So now I'm really confused because 120.65128 on the Centric site clearly states it is a hub and rotor.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:08 PM
My 2 cents.
I would not do it, I had it on my truck and really did not see any benefit. Cost to replace the rotor is about the same as the stock type rotors. I had the conversion on my truck for 2 years and always had problems with the ABS light coming on because the antilock sensor did not like the converted rotors. I tried everything from replacing the sensors to keeping them clean and nothing worked. Put stock type rotors on and I have not had the light come on in 3 years since.

I do not have an answer to your part number question.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dumptruck
My 2 cents.
I would not do it, I had it on my truck and really did not see any benefit. Cost to replace the rotor is about the same as the stock type rotors. I had the conversion on my truck for 2 years and always had problems with the ABS light coming on because the antilock sensor did not like the converted rotors. I tried everything from replacing the sensors to keeping them clean and nothing worked. Put stock type rotors on and I have not had the light come on in 3 years since.

I do not have an answer to your part number question.
I was able to clear my part number question up with RockAuto and the 120.65128 is indeed the hub and rotor kit.

I'm not sure where you were buying your rotors but the 4wd rotor is much cheaper than a 2wd.

Motorcraft 2wd front: $110 each
Motorcraft 4wd front: $68 each

For me it's also about the ability of having rotors turned. I was only able to find one shop in town that had the ability to turn the 2wd rotors (they must be turned on the vehicle) and their price just to turn the rotors is as much as one retro fit kit! Being able to pull the rotors off and take them to the shop 2 blocks away to have them turned is worth it to me. As far as the ABS problem I have heard some have issues but was fixed by properly aligning the sensor and ring. Sorry to hear you didn't like the kit. I've heard more good things than bad though.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 AM
I still have mine on my truck and never had a single problem with them. The Centric two-piece seem like a home run to me.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tb69396
I still have mine on my truck and never had a single problem with them. The Centric two-piece seem like a home run to me.
I agree. I've had the Centric 2 piece kit installed for 3-4 years with no problems.

Quick Reply: Is there such thing as a 2-piece rotor/hub replacement?