2004 - 2008 F-150

The reason why Optima's batteries suck...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason why Optima's batteries suck...

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...mexico-215667/

"...When the Swedes owned optima, they paid us well and quality was foremost of all at all cost. JCI is the company that KILLED optima batteries, we always had 99.99 pure lead until JCI bought optima. The first thing they did was: fired all of the on staff scientists, then fired all of the PHD's, then fired the chemists, then dismantled the chemistry lab, then dismantled the prototype lab, then got rid of the pure lead and replaced it with lead with higher tin content, then JCI brought in their genius engineers and re formulated the lead acid paste, then replaced the AGM paper with lower grade paper, ex cetera, ex cetera. All of this was done within the first 2 years of their ownership! We had to fight like hell to prove that what we had when they purchased us was superior to what they had done.
we finally convinced them to begin returning to some of the successful methods Gates had originally designed, but only after making them think that it was their idea. When the U.S. plant shut down, we were using pure lead, similar to original paper and similar paste formula, however, there were many, many other changes they had made in the manufacturing process that negatively affected the optima but produced higher volumes. In my opinion, the Enersys Odyssey is, by far, the very best battery on the market today. I am aware of some of the mfg practices being used specifically on the optima in mexico, and they are not conducive to quality!"
I found it funny how they decreased the quality of the products being used, and decreased the price of labor, but yet still raised the price on their batteries in the last year.

Last edited by Need4racin; 08-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a optima in my car that doesn't get driven much...Or I should say I'm on my 3rd Optima in that car. When the current one dies it probably get replaced by an intersate.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an Optima in my skid steer and I have to put a charger on it to get it started. I think I got two years out of it. The thing that gets me is that the place I bought it at says it is good, and I have another problem. I can't even get it replaced. I want another battery, and I'm disappointed that I paid as much I did. I probably bought mine at peak cost, and bottom quality.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Is JCI an American company?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 PM

I have a Kinetik HC1800. I can play my stereo (3 amplifiers) for hours and it will still start right up. Cold starts, no problem (especially with 1900 CCA compared to the Yellow Top's 800).

Optimas are trash nowadays IMO.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
can deep cycles be run in a truck?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I guess I just cant understand why someone would pay $200 for a battery to begin with. I run my oem until it is done and then I will put a wally world special or whatever else is on sale and it has always lasted long enough until I got bored with the vehicle and would trade it in.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Originally Posted by Krohbar
can deep cycles be run in a truck?
yep

I must of been lucky with my batch of optima. But recently I have noticed it's not working as good as it did months ago. I think this spring I'll get a Kinetik also.

Last edited by Impact9; 08-26-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Micheal
I guess I just cant understand why someone would pay $200 for a battery to begin with. I run my oem until it is done and then I will put a wally world special or whatever else is on sale and it has always lasted long enough until I got bored with the vehicle and would trade it in.
Some of us require a higher demand from our batteries then the average user. My 2004 truck went through a stocker and 3 Optimas. I went ahead and bit the bullet an bought a Sears Platinum, which is just an Odyssey Battery re-badged. $208 out the door with no core and it is by far the best battery I have ever had.

Odyssey and Kenetik are the two best batteries on the market today IMO. Next inline is Interstate.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AAK625
Is JCI an American company?
Out of Milwaukee WI.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:21 PM
My red top optima went just over a year before it completely died with little waning. I returned it to pep boys for a full refund and got a energizer, I needed something in the blazer to get me to work. In the F-150 right now I am running stock.

When those optimas work they work good, my suv fired right up cold or hot and ran all accessories fine. It is just a shame you have to swap them out when you change your engine oil

Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
What Fatherford said

BTW Fatherford, where did you learn that from ?

I learned the same thing about 8 months ago.... Bought my Sears Platimum P1 shortly thereafter, and just like you reported > It's best battery I've ever owned !

I think mine was a tad under $200..... because the young guy there (after telling him the whole scoop about their own Platium P1's) let me keep my stock battery (which was still like new) for my boat, and still didn't charge me a core charge

Go Platinum P1 !!!!

Peace,
Fish

Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Red Top is over two years old & starts the 5.4 3v up whether its below zero, or in the high 90's no problemo!......

Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Micheal
I guess its just about personal demand. There was nothing wrong with my stock battery, it operated perfectly for years. But once I installed the stereo it just couldn't handle it. At tailgate parties I like to open the doors and play the music, and after 15 minutes the stocker would be drained and could not start the truck. With the new deep cell Kinetik, I've played it for up to 2-3 hours and it starts the truck right up. It also makes jump-starting a breeze. No voltage drops or anything.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
My Red Top is over two years old & starts the 5.4 3v up whether its below zero, or in the high 90's no problemo!......
Looked on my Red Top tonight! It is made here in the USA., in Aurora Colorado!......I have a "Good One"!...........

Quick Reply: The reason why Optima's batteries suck...