2004 - 2008 F-150

Doors rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors rattles

Man every time I hit a hole or bump something rattles in the back doors. I had them apart a couple of times. Once I found broken plastic parts look like they were glued on the inside bottom of the door. Or when you close the door you hear something that makes a rattleing sound.Any help? I have a 2004 supercab f150.I can shake the doors and nothing rattles inside.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 AM
Haha, its not funny but at least I'm not the only one. I also have an 04 SCab. I also found the same pieces inside the doors, I believe they were part of a sound dampening mat that was applied to the doors. I went ahead and removed any other part of the material that I thought was sure to break off in the future. I still have some rattling happening, but its 90% better. I am thinking, that maybee I can adjust the closing mechanism to where it will hold the doors tighter??? Other than that I have no clue.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ron wojack
Man every time I hit a hole or bump something rattles in the back doors. I had them apart a couple of times. Once I found broken plastic parts look like they were glued on the inside bottom of the door. Or when you close the door you hear something that makes a rattleing sound.Any help? I have a 2004 supercab f150.I can shake the doors and nothing rattles inside.
RW- This is a serious question- are you SURE they are closed on the second latch? I have an '04 SCab and on occasion when the rear doors were not closed hard, I would have a nasty sqauky rattle and wind noise. I spent over 30 years in body and mechanical and I know how to adjust doors. Problem is, they didn't need adjusting. They are different than a lot of doors that I have worked with. Try putting your hand on the center of the door on the outside. (rear door) When you close it, don't take your hand off the door, instead carry through rather firmly. These doors fit tight and a light to medium close won't do it. When you have a rattle, when you stop the truck, put your hand on the door 1st before you use your other hand to pull the latch. Do you still have it on the second catch once you feel the 1st. one release? If you only have one catch and it's open, it's not closed all the way, even if it looks like it is. Try it and let us know what happened.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
can we get a sticky how-to?

hehe, just playin... i do know exactly what you're talking about though, and it gets me sometimes. But i have the rattling too.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine still rattle even when I know theyre fully latched. I usually shut the door with one hand at the top pushing it onto the latch.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by PJB4x4
Mine still rattle even when I know theyre fully latched. I usually shut the door with one hand at the top pushing it onto the latch.
PJB- since it has latches at top and bottom, I prefer to put my hand right in the center and carry through with a good solid shove, but don't let go, carry all the way through. Good part is, with the front door open, there's no way to get caught. With the double seal, these doors close solid. There is NO play. A normal moderate close won't close the rear doors all the way, they don't have the weight to provide the inertia like the front doors do.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try to shake the door and theres no play.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I've got the same issue. Originally the rattling was from that sound dampening material becoming loose, now it is definitely similar to a door being loose even after being closed tight. I cleaned that loose material out and am wondering if it has somehow contributed to the noise. My plan is to spray a relatively thin layer of that expanding foam in place of that sound dampening material. Maybe it'll add a little more weight and rigidity to the door to help reduce/absorb the rattle. At a minimum, it'll be a pain in the a$$ to deal with but may reduce the noise inside the cab a bit.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Ohhh that sounds messy and sticky n8er00, but let us know if it works!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM
As was said above be sure that the door is closed and the catch is engaged. The second item to look for is the rear door speakers. These have screws that may come loose and the speaker will rattle in the door when taking bumps. Just a thought...

Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's an old service message about replacing the inner mastic liner on Supercabs with doors that clatter and rattle when you slam them shut.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey I checked many of times the doors are closed tight.The other day I opened the drivers side door while I was driving down the road and it stoped rattleing. I think it something in the driver door at the top?. Is there a way to adjust the door so it will close tighter when I pull on it it wiil stop. I looked at the latch and tried to adjust it I loosen the screws on the latch but it would move ?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 AM
So i tried a coating of spray foam and that was a no go. Just not going to work at all. I tried "painting" it on the inside of the door and it doesn't seem to spread well so after about 5 minutes of trying i gave up. I did end up finding a solution to my door rattle however. Even though the door is shut all the way, the D bar itself of which the latch grabs actually rattles within the bottom latch of my rear door. To fix it, I have bought a rubber cork from my local hardware store and trimmed to about 1/4" thick, then glued it where the bottom rubber stop of the rear door hits the truck itself. This causes the door to close tighter. It's been several weeks and many off road trips without a single rattle. For $1 and about 2 minutes of time, worth a try. You can even put a big wad of duck tape there for a temporary fix if you can't find the cork and want it fixed right away.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Very nice, would you mind posting up a couple pics so that we can get a better idea of what you did? Finally its nice someone figured something out to stop the rattle madness!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey I thought on useing duck tape just to check it to see if that will work. I was looking in my junk drawer and found some round felt tips that you would put on the bottom of a chair leg. So I stuck a couple of them on the edge of the drivers door where it closes against the rear door. Took it for a trip thru the neighborhood the roads are ruff and it seam to work.

Quick Reply: Doors rattles