2004 - 2008 F-150

05 Transmission Slip - Is there a TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Transmission Slip - Is there a TSB

Hey Guys,

I have an 05 SCrew and I have a transmission slip upon acceleration. I notice it most when say i have the throttle down part way and try to accelerate. Seems like the truck is slipping when downshifting and can often make a noise similarto going over a rumble strip. Does this seem familiar? I've read a lot about these but not sure if there is a TSB out there. Should i have the dealer to a reflash, pull the neagtive cable for 30 min or a tuner. What's my least expensive option?
Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
anyone??

Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Haven't really noticed anyone on here with tranny slips. However if there is also a slight clunk it very well could be the slip yoke on the driveshaft. Mine was taken in twice for that, they have to lube the slip yoke with a special teflon grease. I bought a 3 oz tube and am now doing it myself since I'm out of warranty.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks!.. to be honest i say transmission slip but i really dont know. Sounds similar to what people have been talking about with regard to throttle lag.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it is the throttle and the way the tranny works, because often times on hard acceleration, the reves (sp) jump to 5k plus before it goes. It is inconsistent, so I don't think mine is the tranny.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Suspended
we kinda had that issue. when WOT truck would slip between 1st and 2nd. got a rebuilt one at 29k miles on our 08

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
good luck... mine was stuck in 3rd gear and was exhibiting the same symptoms. i hope that you have better luck!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by N901
Hey Guys,

I have an 05 SCrew and I have a transmission slip upon acceleration. I notice it most when say i have the throttle down part way and try to accelerate. Seems like the truck is slipping when downshifting and can often make a noise similarto going over a rumble strip. Does this seem familiar? I've read a lot about these but not sure if there is a TSB out there. Should i have the dealer to a reflash, pull the neagtive cable for 30 min or a tuner. What's my least expensive option?
Thanks in advance!!
Sounds like torque converter shudder to me. The torque converter clutch will disengage and reapply during the downshift 4-3. Probably happens during light acceleration between 45-50mph, Hugh? Ford switched to mercon V ATF to combat this, although no one will ever tell. If your mileage on your current fluid isn't too high I'd try a fluid change to mercon V. Beware, sometimes running the tranny fluid too long will cause all kinds of deposits to break loose if it is changed and make things worse. If after a fluid change, it still shudders after a couple of days I'd try a friction modifier like the stuff that you put in a limited slip diff. FORD has it at the parts counter. Another good product is the (Dr Tranny's Instant Shudder Fix), sold at Oreily's auto parts, that stuff will fix it in 10 minutes. Do a google on torque converter shudder, your not the only one having this problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
had your similar issue the other day, new valve body solved the issue.

good luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
05 F150 FX4 78K miles.

Mine did it new, maybe 2,000 miles.
Dealership took a peek and lubed it, went away until.

Now (78K miles), Dealership took a look, lubed it and said there were some metal shavings but not that bad. They said I'd probably need a new Drive Shaft in a couple years. They said there wouldn't be a catastrophic failure but just more consistent clunking down the road.

I'm kinda pissed, this should not have happened at 2K miles or
78k miles. I would think that major part should last much
longer than that.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I have an 05 screw also. Mine just started out of the blue. Doesnt engage in drive properly. And just started when coasting silps out of gear too.
Any ideas ?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Had the exact same problem on my 04 last month. Thought I was going to have to have the tranny replaced. I had the tranny flushed and the problem is gone. I had a slight bump at 40-50mph. New coils took care of that.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by dduck1628
Sounds like torque converter shudder to me. The torque converter clutch will disengage and reapply during the downshift 4-3. Probably happens during light acceleration between 45-50mph, Hugh? Ford switched to mercon V ATF to combat this, although no one will ever tell. If your mileage on your current fluid isn't too high I'd try a fluid change to mercon V. Beware, sometimes running the tranny fluid too long will cause all kinds of deposits to break loose if it is changed and make things worse. If after a fluid change, it still shudders after a couple of days I'd try a friction modifier like the stuff that you put in a limited slip diff. FORD has it at the parts counter. Another good product is the (Dr Tranny's Instant Shudder Fix), sold at Oreily's auto parts, that stuff will fix it in 10 minutes. Do a google on torque converter shudder, your not the only one having this problem.
dduck1628, you explained my issue for my ford 05' f-150 screw to the "T". Your suggestion above was for if the miles aren't too high on that fluid but what if they are 97k and the fluid was never changed?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Considering that post was back in 2009 and that was the person's ONLY post on these forums, the odds of you getting a response from him are pretty slim.

I'll give you my opinion. If you have 97k and the fluid has never been changed, what are you waiting for? Go get a full fluid exchange (NOT a flush). Also, do not use a tranny additive.

Also, if you have 97k and the spark plugs have never been changed, they are also overdue. That will cause a low grade misfire exactly under those conditions - light throttle application in overdrive in the 40 to 45 mph range.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM
It is always a good idea to change the trany filter and fluid if it has not been done for 30K.I believe that the filter is a paper type and not a screen type, could clog up causing low press. Hope this helps! To look up Free TSB & Wiring Diagrams go to: http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html
You will have to sign up but its free!

Last edited by RevBiker; 03-03-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: more info added

Quick Reply: 05 Transmission Slip - Is there a TSB