Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 343
Transmission Flush

Got almost 40,000 miles on the truck and ill be hauling a trailer across the country in 50 days so i called the dealer and they charge $165 for a transmission flush (not just a pan drain) "complete fluid exchange including torque converter" is what the service guy said.

Is this an alright price?

What fluid should they be using?

2006 Ford F-150 4.6L 4x4

Anything i need to watch out for?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indianapolis, area
Vehicle: 2005 Ford 150
Posts: 812
That's probably not bad. My dealer wants $185 just for the fluid exchange. They should use Motorcraft fluid but some shops might source out other brands if the price is right.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 361
Just called my local Ford Dealer and he said complete flush WITH Motorcraft fluid back in is $140.00 and tax. Not bad at all.

Why is it I've heard a few people say that a few months after a flush the trans crapped out?? Thats what scares me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Wilmington,NC
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMoose81 View Post
Got almost 40,000 miles on the truck and ill be hauling a trailer across the country in 50 days so i called the dealer and they charge $165 for a transmission flush (not just a pan drain) "complete fluid exchange including torque converter" is what the service guy said.

Is this an alright price?

What fluid should they be using?

2006 Ford F-150 4.6L 4x4

Anything i need to watch out for?
That is a reasonable price. Be aware though that they do not typically drop the pan and change the filter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7
Posts: 3,619
Send a message via Yahoo to risupercrewman
By buddy has a tranny shop & is dropping my pan tommorow, changing the filter, & complete flush with MotorCraft Mercon V fluid! I'll let you know what he says about the cleanleness of my pan at 40K miles! I do tow every now & then!.......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F-150
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by risupercrewman View Post
By buddy has a tranny shop & is dropping my pan tommorow, changing the filter, & complete flush with MotorCraft Mercon V fluid! I'll let you know what he says about the cleanleness of my pan at 40K miles! I do tow every now & then!.......
Just to be clear, flush before dropping the pan and changing the filter, not after. Flushing tends to cause things to accumulate on the filter, which can restrict flow and lead to failure.

Never ever flush without changing the filter, you will do more harm than good. Most shops do not change the filter when they flush, make sure they do!

But really, you shouldn't need to do anything at all at 40K.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Erie, PA
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F-150
Posts: 2,559
Send a message via AIM to bjp207
Mine crapped out within 5k miles of the flush, whether it was related or not who knows
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Decatur,AL
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F 150
Posts: 3,019
That's about an average price. Ask to make sure they're using MC fluid and filter.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24 View Post
Damn that looks good! I want to do that to my rear end at some point. Always loved the shaved rears :rocker:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7
Posts: 3,619
Send a message via Yahoo to risupercrewman
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmn View Post
Just to be clear, flush before dropping the pan and changing the filter, not after. Flushing tends to cause things to accumulate on the filter, which can restrict flow and lead to failure.

Never ever flush without changing the filter, you will do more harm than good. Most shops do not change the filter when they flush, make sure they do!

But really, you shouldn't need to do anything at all at 40K.
I have & do tow, sometimes kinda heavy, in the 40K miles....By buddies tranny shop is totally professional, + he had rebuilt many a Ford CVPI transmissions for my Dept! Great work at an excellent price!....... No worries!......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmaster View Post
Just called my local Ford Dealer and he said complete flush WITH Motorcraft fluid back in is $140.00 and tax. Not bad at all.

Why is it I've heard a few people say that a few months after a flush the trans crapped out?? Thats what scares me.
I'd say it's even money that alot of those failures were due to incorrect fluid being put back in. These trannies require Mercon V, nothing else. Any fluid labeled as a "multi use" fluid and says that it can be used in a Mercon V application is not compatible and should not be used.

All the other Mercon fluids are also not compatible with these transmissions and can't be mixed with the Mercon V. It doesn't matter what brand you use, just make sure the right stuff goes back in.
__________________

My truck was built with wrenches, not chopsticks.

Why is there never enough time to do something right but always enough time to do it over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPick
... have you done anything that would be a reason for getting banned?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Posts: 343
ill make sure they use the Mercon V, ill also ask if they are going to drop the pan and change the filter. If they dont, ill just have them do it and pay a little more.

Im leaving my edge in the truck too since the truck is out of warranty.
__________________
2006 Ford F150 STX 4X4 Reg Cab/Reg Bed
4.6L V8, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow Exhaust, Moss Motor Seat Covers, Pioneer Head Unit FH-P8000BT, Edge Programmer, Nitto TG 295/70/17, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 AM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details