2004 - 2008 F-150

08 F150 4.2L V6 A/C clutch assembly

Old 07-17-2022, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 F150 4.2L V6 A/C clutch assembly

I've been trying to hunt down the entire ac clutch assembly. Every auto part store wants to sell me the entire compressor, however, my ac works great, but once it's been running for a while and you come to a stop it squeals really badly. When your running down the road and it engages and disengages it chirps. I don't want to put an entirely new compressor. Can anyone help with the correct ac clutch assembly and where to order one.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It sounds like it needs to be adjusted. The clutch gap should be no bigger than a business card in thickness.

Take the clutch off and clean it out the. Reassemble and remeasure it. If still too thick remove a spacer and put it back together.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:00 AM
Well I'm not sure that it is a gap problem. My pulley spins just fine. But if I'm sitting in the McDonald's drive thru, and I've driven 20 minutes to get there without the ac on, I order my food, turn through the drive thru and the sun is hitting me, I turn the ac on and the squeal is louder than the passing train, it blows cold air while it squeals. I have to really press the gas and get the rpms going to get it to stop. If I've been driving a couple hours and turn off the truck, when I start it back up, say after filling up with gas, It will have the same effect as is the morning at McDonald's, except it may not blow cold air, and it seems as if I can smell my belt burning. I have the belt off currently and it does have cracks in it. All my pulleys seem to spin fine. I didn't start having the loud squeal until after I replaced my rack and pinion, but my power steering works fine. It's just when using the a/c as I described.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:03 AM

the gap seems fine though.....

Old 07-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Make that a $100 bill... or two or three, worst case.

Could be a clutch hub, pulley, or the compressor bearings making the noise. You'll have to figure out which it is.

Clutch hub and pulley are available individually.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...mponents,13288

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 F150 4.2L V6 A/C clutch assembly