2004 - 2008 F-150

Is this a good deal for a 2006 F150?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal for a 2006 F150?

I am thinking about buying this f150, not sure what I should offer.

2006 Black Ford F150 King Ranch Edition.
Super Crew Cab.
143K Miles.
V8 4.3 Liter.
4x4
Fully Loaded, Sunroof,Heated Seats, Dual Power Seats, Powered Gas & Break pedal adjustments, Tinted windows, Bedliner, Interior in pristine condition,has ALL the bells and whistles.
Exterior-A few minor scratches, but a dented front bumper, NO frame damage.

They are asking $13500, ill offer 10 at first, then go to 12.

What kind of gas mileage do these trucks get? Anything i should know about the 4.3L V8?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM
First of all, there is no 4.3L V8.

The V8s are either 4.6 or 5.4.

Since it is a King Ranch (supposedly) you're probably looking at the 5.4.

First thing you will need to check is when/if the spark plugs were changed. The spark plugs on the 5.4L are a pain in the **** and can cost alot of money to replace. Its best that is done before you sign on the dotted line and drive it off the lot. The other thing with the 5.4L is the cam phasers. I'm not sure at what point this was fixed, but if the engine sounds like a diesel when idling, then that is an issue. I believe other issues, such as fuel injectors and such were fixed in the 2006 model. Your best bet is searching around the forum for information.

If the truck, by some chance, has the 4.6, which I don't believe was an option on the King Ranch, you're looking at a much more solid / reliable engine, although maybe a bit underpowered. This is not to say the 5.4 is a bad engine, but head to head, fewer issues with the 4.6.

As for value, check out KBB, Edmunds, etc and see what they value it at.

Since it is a truck, you can expect that gas mileage to be significantly worse than, say, a Prius. It can range from 12 to 22, depending on engine, transmission, 4wd / 2wd, gearing, tires, etc. If its bone stock, you'll probably range from 14 - 18 for mixed city/highway driving. If fuel mileage is a concern, perhaps a pickup truck is not your best option.

Last edited by 06bluemeaniexl; 10-02-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
^ Same

Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Private party book value in GOOD condition in my zip code is $15800, but you must deduct how much it costs to fix EVERYTHING.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Private party book value in GOOD condition in my zip code is $15800, but you must deduct how much it costs to fix EVERYTHING.
Is that considering the excessive mileage (high)? A lot of times people will look at the book and not look at the page that DEDUCTS for excessive miles. Excessive miles chews pretty bad at that NORMAL miles figure. I can guarantee you if you come in to trade, with that kind of miles on an '06, they're not going to offer you more than 50% of retail book, if that. Most dealers don't even want that on their lot because it's hard for a new car dealer to even sell on their lot, so they have to "Give" it away at wholesale auction. A used car dealer is going to end up with it at auction and then really blow smoke up (you know where) someone to distract 'em from the high mileage. High mileage vehicles (no matter how clean) really get slaughterd at auction. The used car dealers always used to buy 'em cheap, spin the speedo back to half the miles (or LESS) and make a killing on 'em.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Is that considering the excessive mileage (high)?
Yes, I use KBB.com which requires you to enter the miles.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
first of all, there is no 4.3l v8.

The v8s are either 4.6 or 5.4.

Since it is a king ranch (supposedly) you're probably looking at the 5.4.

First thing you will need to check is when/if the spark plugs were changed. The spark plugs on the 5.4l are a pain in the **** and can cost alot of money to replace. Its best that is done before you sign on the dotted line and drive it off the lot. The other thing with the 5.4l is the cam phasers. I'm not sure at what point this was fixed, but if the engine sounds like a diesel when idling, then that is an issue. I believe other issues, such as fuel injectors and such were fixed in the 2006 model. Your best bet is searching around the forum for information.

If the truck, by some chance, has the 4.6, which i don't believe was an option on the king ranch, you're looking at a much more solid / reliable engine, although maybe a bit underpowered. This is not to say the 5.4 is a bad engine, but head to head, fewer issues with the 4.6.

As for value, check out kbb, edmunds, etc and see what they value it at.

Since it is a truck, you can expect that gas mileage to be significantly worse than, say, a prius. It can range from 12 to 22, depending on engine, transmission, 4wd / 2wd, gearing, tires, etc. If its bone stock, you'll probably range from 14 - 18 for mixed city/highway driving. If fuel mileage is a concern, perhaps a pickup truck is not your best option.
x2!......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a good deal for a 2006 F150?