2004 - 2008 F-150

How to remove bed?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
How to remove bed?

Is it just the 6 bolts on the frame and the 3 on the gas filler? Plus the removal of the wiring harness for the taillights and rear diff breather tube?

I kinda need to know so I can remove it to have it fixed. I got 3 heavy weights coming by to take it off this weekend and I want it prepped so there are no surprises.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question, Ive got to do it pretty soon to replace my fuel sending unit.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, that's about it. be warned though, that the bed bolts can be a major PITA to take out for the first time...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya the bolts, then make sure you have all the small wires and fuel lines disconnected. All the stuff that hangs on the underside of the bed need to be taken care of as well if your planning on completely removing the bed.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by minimonster17
yeah, that's about it. be warned though, that the bed bolts can be a major PITA to take out for the first time...
I'm going to soak them with PB Blaster for a day or two.

Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
Ya the bolts, then make sure you have all the small wires and fuel lines disconnected. All the stuff that hangs on the underside of the bed need to be taken care of as well if your planning on completely removing the bed.
From looking at the underside of the bed, all I can see is the filler neck, wiring harness for the taillights, rear diff vent tube, and that is it. No other wires or anything.

What we are planning to do is to make it really easy is to use my overhead garage winch and attach chains to each of the anchor points in the bed. Basically just unbolt the bed, and slowly lift it right off the truck with aid of a few helpers. While lifting it we will carefully watch to see if there is anything else attached. I doubt it though.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
it's a pain in the *****. having taken it off about 6 times now, and it never gets easier. i actually think i welded the brackets on in a way that it won't come off anymore...

Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Dribone
it's a pain in the *****. having taken it off about 6 times now, and it never gets easier. i actually think i welded the brackets on in a way that it won't come off anymore...
Why have you take your bed off 6 times!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I'm going to soak them with PB Blaster for a day or two.

From looking at the underside of the bed, all I can see is the filler neck, wiring harness for the taillights, rear diff vent tube, and that is it. No other wires or anything.

What we are planning to do is to make it really easy is to use my overhead garage winch and attach chains to each of the anchor points in the bed. Basically just unbolt the bed, and slowly lift it right off the truck with aid of a few helpers. While lifting it we will carefully watch to see if there is anything else attached. I doubt it though.

Sounds like a good deal good luck and maybe lots of pics and then write up a nice how to so we know what is going on

Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
Why have you take your bed off 6 times!
to get that truck as low as he has. alot of fab work looks like to the frame and stuff.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you got it covered. Do you have an engine hoist? Easier to make a setup out of some 2x4's/steel and just do it by yourself.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by 06F150STX
to get that truck as low as he has. alot of fab work looks like to the frame and stuff.
yes, lots of fab work. and head scratching.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM

I didn't have any problems at all. 5 bolts came right out. I had to cut one off with a torch but it really wasn't bad.

Once it's off just get a buddy or two and pick it up and walk backwards.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 PM

You bet... I'll be sure to write up a good description HOW-TO on removing the bed. Which can not only apply to F150's but SD's as well in a general sense. There is no one on the net that has a full pictorial description on how to remove a pickup bed. Which in this day-in-age, it sure is sad.

But I'm looking forward to doing it.

As some have asked, is it an engine hoist I am using?

Actually NO! It is a standard winch I am using attached to my garage. It is NOT an engine hoist by any means... even if I did use an engine hoist, it wouldn't work too good being it an 8' bed. An engine hoist that is full size would work great on 4' and 6' beds, but not an 8' bed.

What I am going to do is remove all the bolts and wiring harnesses, and attach chains to each of the four tie down points in the bed, and basically winch it up in the air and have my assistants stabilize it if necessary.

I doubt I will have any problems.

What will be more cool is to drive my truck without a bed.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 PM
What will be more cool is to drive my truck without a bed.
its cool for about 5min. i'm in dallas on a business trip and the office called and asked me to pick up a new truck and drive it back. ironically the only one in the nation that fit what they wanted was only 40 min away from where i was/am.

its a single wheel f350 service body with no bed on it. i think the rear wheels leave the ground when you hit a bump.

its going to be a long 800mi trip home....

Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Actually NO! It is a standard winch I am using attached to my garage. It is NOT an engine hoist by any means... even if I did use an engine hoist, it wouldn't work too good being it an 8' bed. An engine hoist that is full size would work great on 4' and 6' beds, but not an 8' bed.
Actually you can use an engine hoist no matter what size bed you have, you just bring the engine hoist in from the side of the truck instead of the rear. It works pretty good, but we used something that was a little easier last time I had to take a bed off a truck. After taking all the bolts out and removing/disconnecting all wires and hoses I took a couple of ratchet straps and attached them to the cargo hooks on the inside of the bed. Then used our Gehl Telehandler fork lift to lift the bed off, it worked great. The only problem would have been if I would have for got to unhook anything it would have just gotten ripped right off, but it was the easiest way that I had to remove the bed by myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove bed?