2004 - 2008 F-150

Tire Pressure Warning ??

Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Warning ??

Hey guys hopefully someone here can help me. I have a new 2008 Screw Lariat. Yesterday I took off my stock wheels and tires and put on my chrome Boss wheels and tires and am now getting that tire pressure warning from the info panel with the little yellow error light symbol.

Is there a way to disbale this or rest it so it goes away ? There must.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Did you pout your TPMS sensors on your new rims? Most places will ask what type of vehicle your buying rims for, so they can sell you new sensors.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The TPMS has been in 150's since the 07 model year. There is no way to turn off or disable the system, it is federally mandated that it be there, so ford is not going to allow for a way to turn it off.

You do have a few options,
1. remove bulb from warning light
2. cover light with black tape
3. put your stock wheels back on or pull your sensors out of your old wheels and have them installed in your new ones.

Back in early 07, some one tried putting the sensors in a pvc pipe and sealed it up and put 35 psi of air pressure in it, thinking it would trick the system. It does and doesn't work. It was fine as long as the truck wasn't moving, once he started rolling, the system knew the sensors were not in the tires anymore, so the warning light came back on.

I've seen it suggested that you could swap in a pre 07 guage cluster, cause they don't have the TPMS light in it. I don't know if it will work or not, but the odds of finding a 3 year old or older cluster with the same low mileage that your 08 has are slim to none.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
No I did not these wheels were on my 06 King Ranch I gave back which did not have the sensors I guess. Plus can you even move those I thought they were built and siliconed right into the wheel itself ?

Any way in just disabling the sensor on the truck ?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM

The wheel sensors are banded th the wheel, and are clipped right to the band. You would need to buy new bands since your new wheels are a different size and the bands are not reuseable anyway, then just clip your old sensors in place and reinstall tire.

You could also buy new bands and sensors for your new wheels, and leave the old stuff in your stock wheels, them sell them in the classifieds. I would imagine there a lot of members who would love to have a set of lariat wheels and tires with the TPMS sensors still in them. It would be a nice upgrade for an 07-08 XL, STX, XLT. If you find the right buyer, you could recoup the cost of the new bands and sensors and then some.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies guys looks like I live with it until I put the stock rims back on in the fall.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
The TPMS has been in 150's since the 07 model year. There is no way to turn off or disable the system, it is federally mandated that it be there, so ford is not going to allow for a way to turn it off.

You do have a few options,
1. remove bulb from warning light
2. cover light with black tape
3. put your stock wheels back on or pull your sensors out of your old wheels and have them installed in your new ones.

Back in early 07, some one tried putting the sensors in a pvc pipe and sealed it up and put 35 psi of air pressure in it, thinking it would trick the system. It does and doesn't work. It was fine as long as the truck wasn't moving, once he started rolling, the system knew the sensors were not in the tires anymore, so the warning light came back on.

I've seen it suggested that you could swap in a pre 07 guage cluster, cause they don't have the TPMS light in it. I don't know if it will work or not, but the odds of finding a 3 year old or older cluster with the same low mileage that your 08 has are slim to none.
you cannot remove the bulb, it's a led soldered to the cluster. i did the electrical tape mod, ghetto but no more annoying *** light

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ATOM
you cannot remove the bulb, it's a led soldered to the cluster. i did the electrical tape mod, ghetto but no more annoying *** light
That's good to know. You could always cover the led with tape or black nail polish or put the tape on the inside of the lens for a more finished look.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have the PVC holder for the sensors, and it still after 20 mins will set the light off. I hate these things.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For us with Lariats and above, not only does the yellow light come on, but also the info center tells you which requires the button being pushed to turn off that error message display, this happens after about 18-20 miles of driving, mine does it everyday at the same time doing my commute My only regret for getting bigger wheels. Someone else on this forum took his four sensors, dimounted his SPARE and threw them inside, reinflated to no yellow light...catch is, now ya cant actually use the spare cause of the sensors being loose inside the SPARE tire rolling around.

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 03-25-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Suspended
see i was told that the sensors turn on and off from movement, so when you park for truck at night or whatever after so long of not moving they power off. the life of the sensors is 7 yrs on average, then they are needed to be replaced, and no you cant just buy new batteries, 1 piece sealed unit. so if my ford guy is right i don't see how the spare tire sensor mod can work. you could get a band and attach 4 sensors to it and use the spare, but the sensor is suppose to be 180 degrees from the valve stem. it sounds like ford bent us custom rim guys over the barrel. now if they would have let us have 8 sensors programmed and not only 4 i would have had no issue spending the cash on 4 sensors and bands, but i ain't paying the dealer twice a year to program them. another way the gov't screws us!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BayouSupercrew
For us with Lariats and above, not only does the yellow light come on, but also the info center tells you which requires the button being pushed to turn off that error message display, this happens after about 18-20 miles of driving, mine does it everyday at the same time doing my commute My only regret for getting bigger wheels. Someone else on this forum took his four sensors, dimounted his SPARE and threw them inside, reinflated to no yellow light...catch is, now ya cant actually use the spare cause of the sensors being loose inside the SPARE tire rolling around.
Putting them in a spare is no different than creating a canister to hold them. It may work if all he does is short trips, but on anything over 20min/20miles, it will come on.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
FYI -- when I put custom rims on my '08 Mustang I just bit the bullitt and purchased new sensors and bands so I could leave my factory rims and tires intact. The service rep at my local Ford dealer reprogrammed the new sensors in about two minutes for no charge -- there's really not much to it as far as I could tell.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ddellwo
The service rep at my local Ford dealer reprogrammed the new sensors in about two minutes for no charge -- there's really not much to it as far as I could tell.
not all ford garages will do it for free. if you didn't want buy it there, i highly doubt it they will do it for nothing. the shop here wants 50 bucks to do it.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
FYI -- when I put custom rims on my '08 Mustang I just bit the bullitt and purchased new sensors and bands so I could leave my factory rims and tires intact. The service rep at my local Ford dealer reprogrammed the new sensors in about two minutes for no charge -- there's really not much to it as far as I could tell.
Does your TPMS computer recognize both sets of sensors or do you have to reprogram it every time you switch wheels/tires?

I just bought new bands and had the stock sensors transferred to the new wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Warning ??