2004 - 2008 F-150

Window regulator goes pop!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window regulator goes pop!

I'm on my way to school today and i stop to gas up and have the window down. Go to roll up and about half way it sounds like a .22 goes off and the window falls all the way down. I said a few choice words. This is about 50 minutes prior to class, not to mention i'm playing on taking a 2 hour trip tomorrow to see some friends. I race to the ford place here in town and i explain my situation to the service advisor. She assured me that if the part was in stock that it would be fixed by today and i could be ready for my trip.
Props to Tallahassee Ford service department. 4 hours after the initial pop i was fixed and ready to go.

I thought the price was high. All i had to pay was a $50 deductible through my ext warranty.

The final price was $298.56! Is that a normal price for a regulator asy?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HAHA! Been there before! For replacement that price sounds normal. The actual reg costs half that.

I still need to replace my driver's side, new regulator is in the garage.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:05 PM
sounds about right... theres a bunch of work to get the panels off the door. I think I spent about $140 on mine and then several hours of work.

FYI - if you ever need to "temporarily" fix your window... once you pull the door panels off you can cut a board (use a 1x2) to prop the window up tight. That way it won't fall and someone can't break in to your truck.

I had to do this for about a week after Autozone sent me the wrong part. It gets you buy for awhile.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 AM

I use a pair of vise grips to clamp onto the window track to keep the window up.

It took me about 15 minutes yesterday to replace mine. I guess it's because I'm a seasoned veteraan at it.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM
This happened to me yesterday!! ARRRGHH. Luckily, I work a curbs width away from my local shop so he did it for like 180 which I thought was high until now. I shoved some cardboard in there to keep the window up last night though.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Question....

I think I have the prelude to my regulator going out? Did any of you have your window rolling up at a freekin' snails pace? When I roll the window down (driver's side), it seems to be a normal speed. When I go to roll it up, it "struggles", speeds up, slows down, and finally makes it all the way up. It was never this slow when I bought it. Only 18 months old.

I hate the thought of taking it to the dealership..... I do not like my local selection of dealerships, they are all idiots. But, what I am wondering is.... if I take it to them NOW, while it still works, will they turn me away and tell me some BS that "It is still within normal operating speed so we aren't going to replace it, yet"? I don't want to be stuck with a window that will not roll up, it is too tall to fit in the garage

Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question....

I think I have the prelude to my regulator going out? Did any of you have your window rolling up at a freekin' snails pace? When I roll the window down (driver's side), it seems to be a normal speed. When I go to roll it up, it "struggles", speeds up, slows down, and finally makes it all the way up. It was never this slow when I bought it. Only 18 months old.

I hate the thought of taking it to the dealership..... I do not like my local selection of dealerships, they are all idiots. But, what I am wondering is.... if I take it to them NOW, while it still works, will they turn me away and tell me some BS that "It is still within normal operating speed so we aren't going to replace it, yet"? I don't want to be stuck with a window that will not roll up, it is too tall to fit in the garage

They'll lube the tracks and reajust the window that's all that's wrong with it

Last edited by bjp207; 02-20-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bjp207
They'll lube the tracks and reajust the window that's all that's wrong with it
No, that is not all that is wrong with it. That loud pop is the cable snapping. A new regulator cost me $152 and I installed it myself. That is actually a pretty reasonable price. It's a pain just getting to it.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Sorry bluejay wasn't talking about the op I was referring to 07 FX4chick who was having a problem with the window rolling at a snails pace...no pop, I read on here many times about a tsb on lubing the tracks and adjusting the window so that it is pushed tight to the back slide...I know that the pop means the reg is bad, just was informing 07FX4Chick of what her problem was

Last edited by bjp207; 02-20-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: whoops...stealth to bluejay
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bjp207
Sorry stealth wasn't talking about the op I was referring to 07 FX4chick who was having a problem with the window rolling at a snails pace...no pop, I read on here many times about a tsb on lubing the tracks and adjusting the window so that it is pushed tight to the back slide...I know that the pop means the reg is bad, just was informing 07FX4Chick of what her problem was
Gotcha. No problem. To avoid confusion, it helps if you quote the post you are responding to.

P.S. I won't ban you for calling me Stealth. Not this time!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
fixed it, sorry man, I forget what im doing on my blackberry because I cant see the whole screen

Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Cable breaking failure: I had ZERO warning.

Actually my passenger front window went POP, sounded like a .22 going off inside the truck and the window fell down inside the door very quickly, the driver's side just made a dull knock sound, hardly heard it and the window went down so slowly I grabbed with my hand and drove home to tape it up.

Seemed like the passenger window regulator was installed properly from the factory and the driver window regulator was in a bind somewhat.

When I installed them both I lubed the tracks first then installed them in the most freely operating position.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by 07FX4Chick
Question....

I took mine in about a month ago for that. The have to re adjust the window and lube the track. The passenger window took about 25 seconds to go up twice....then it just stopped in the middle. I had to help it up with hands.

HOWEVER....the tech that did mine lubed the top and bottom along with the side tracks I had to get the silicone off of the top channel and the weather strip at the bottom of the window!

Quick Reply: Window regulator goes pop!