Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Retrofit Power Folding Mirrors on 04 F150

I have seen and read lots of threads about this mod and a few that said they were successful with the oem switch and power fold module, but no information on how. I've spent the past two days tackling this job with a pair of 07 power folding mirrors with signals and puddle lamps and have finally figured out the wiring with the oem switch and the factory power fold module 5L3T-17L684-AA. If anyone is interested in this mod, it's actually fairly simple once the pinouts are found. My FX4 mirror harnesses were missing 4 wires required for this job. Pins 16 and 7 for the power fold, pin 8 for the puddle lamps and a ground wire on pin 11 for the signals. Also required is a wire to pin 4 on the mirror switch harness. I ran all 5 wires through the doors (4 for the passenger) and spliced in the puddle lamps to the black/violet wire at the driver's side kick panel right above the hood latch. There are 3 black/violet wires in the bundle, you need a test lamp to find the correct one that's lit when the interior lights are on. I used the light dimmer to turn the lights on and off while testing. I found a nice ground wire to splice into at the same location for the Pin 11 wire. Next was figuring out the pins on the power fold module. It looks nothing like any diagram that I found on the web. My brother and I spent 3 hours with 3 test lights to figure out what was what. The pinout assignments (that worked for us) according to the numbers on the module itself are as follows;
Pin 1 to Pin 7 on the mirror harnesses
Pin 3 to Pin 16 on the mirror harnesses
I think Pins 1 & 3 these can be wired either way
Pin 2 to Pin 4 on the mirror switch
Pin 4 to constant power somewhere
Pin 5 to ground somewhere
That's it! Pull the mirror switch back and they fold in, pull it again and the fold out. Power folding mirrors with signals and fading puddlelamps!
(I'm still working on the heated mirror part. Have to change my HVAC)
Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Power fold mirror module

I added power fold mirrors to my 08 F150 and I cant locate the power fold mirror module. All the wires are already there and I purchased a folding mirror switch even though the current one had all the wires. The Ford tech told me thats all i need to complete the circuit and gave me a picture showing the location which should be behind the trim panel in the corner of the cab but when I checked, all I found was an empty plug socket. I also purchase the module (relay) from Ford. I cant find the location where it plugs in. Does anyone know?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentech View Post
I have seen and read lots of threads about this mod and a few that said they were successful with the oem switch and power fold module, but no information on how. I've spent the past two days tackling this job with a pair of 07 power folding mirrors with signals and puddle lamps and have finally figured out the wiring with the oem switch and the factory power fold module 5L3T-17L684-AA. If anyone is interested in this mod, it's actually fairly simple once the pinouts are found. My FX4 mirror harnesses were missing 4 wires required for this job. Pins 16 and 7 for the power fold, pin 8 for the puddle lamps and a ground wire on pin 11 for the signals. Also required is a wire to pin 4 on the mirror switch harness. I ran all 5 wires through the doors (4 for the passenger) and spliced in the puddle lamps to the black/violet wire at the driver's side kick panel right above the hood latch. There are 3 black/violet wires in the bundle, you need a test lamp to find the correct one that's lit when the interior lights are on. I used the light dimmer to turn the lights on and off while testing. I found a nice ground wire to splice into at the same location for the Pin 11 wire. Next was figuring out the pins on the power fold module. It looks nothing like any diagram that I found on the web. My brother and I spent 3 hours with 3 test lights to figure out what was what. The pinout assignments (that worked for us) according to the numbers on the module itself are as follows;
Pin 1 to Pin 7 on the mirror harnesses
Pin 3 to Pin 16 on the mirror harnesses
I think Pins 1 & 3 these can be wired either way
Pin 2 to Pin 4 on the mirror switch
Pin 4 to constant power somewhere
Pin 5 to ground somewhere
That's it! Pull the mirror switch back and they fold in, pull it again and the fold out. Power folding mirrors with signals and fading puddlelamps!
(I'm still working on the heated mirror part. Have to change my HVAC)

Sounds cool. Where did you get the mirrors and how much?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Send a message via MSN to alexarizpe
i want this mod how much does this cost?

2004 XLT 4.6L 2wd------2.5" Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5100's, Toyo All Terrain 305/45/22, 22x9.5 XD Hoss wheels, Roush Grille, Af1 CAI, Borla Pro XS, 6000k HID-----Alpine Iva-D310, Alpine Mrd-m1005, Mrv-f345, Alpine 6.5" Type R components Front & Kickpods, 2 Memphis M3 10" ..........
Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 PM

From the dealer, the mirrors cost me about $750 for the pair. That includes the chrome package tops and puddle lamps. Im sure you can get them cheaper from a salvage yard or someplace like car-parts.com.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
check out www.tascafordparts.com

they have all the options available, and have good pricing. there is also a link for the wiring charts to upgrade.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723 View Post
Sounds cool. Where did you get the mirrors and how much?
I found the mirrors by google search on a craigslist in Oregon. I paid $175 for the pair and the guy split the shipping, plus duty to Canada. A bargain even with the duty.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexarizpe View Post
i want this mod how much does this cost?
As someone else said, you gotta look around for the mirrors, but the power fold module is around $30 bucks and you just need a pigtail to scavenge some wires from (another $30 bucks). After that, just need about four different colored wires, a few connectors, some solder, etc to keep everything separate and neat and run them down the doors and into the cab and pick a place to install the module (mines under the center console). I think the whole thing cost me about $350 (I ended up having to get a new switch cause I blew mine by mistake).
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM

if anyone on here is willing to sell me their stock passenger side mirror (no heat, no power, no signal) please email me at dyepaintball@gmail.com

its for an 05 XLT
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 PM

The only mirrors I have are the telescoping power mirrors.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Can anyone please send or post a picture of the power folding mirror module for the 2004 - 2008 f150?
There is alot of confusion as to what it is and where its located. The part number that has been posted by other people (5L3z-17L684-AA)is actually a relay but no one has said where to plug it in. I need some help.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM