2004 - 2008 F-150

baby carseat help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question baby carseat help

I am about to have my baby boy arrive inthis work in the next couple of weeks and have some questions in regards to the infant carseats and the big 3-in-1 seats as well.

I have a "05 SCAB... I have figured out that the infant carrier seat will fit nicely in the middle of the back seat but as for the 3-in-1 rear facing it has to be finaggled between the front seats and doesn't sit as recomended.

Do you guys know of a particular brand or type of 3-in-1 that will easily fit the back seat of my scab or even behinf the pass-seat if possible w/o having to push it into the dashboard. thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I bought my baby carseat from Samsclub. It will fit in the back with no problems, but you may have to move your front seats a tiny bit forward to gain extra clearance. congrats on the new arrival, babies are a lot of fun. The best location for the carseat is to put it between the two Passenger seats in the back, right in the middle.

Last edited by Ilovemyford; 11-04-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Congrats! My little girl just turned 1. From my experience, we started with the infant car seat with multiple bases. The base, as you stated, fits great in the middle. So when she turned 1 and weighed enough, I installed the 3-in-1 convertible seat rear facing as suggested. You're correct, it just doesn't sit very well. On top of that, my little girl is quite long (95th percentile) so it was not very comfortable for her, and she was above the limits for her to be forward facing. So after one ride in the truck rear facing, I just switched it to forward facing. She's been happy ever since. I have both the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite and an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 Convertible.

Sorry I couldn't help you with a brand, but I wanted to share my experience.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Congrats!! I am also waiting for our little bundle of joy to come into this world. My wife is 15 weeks along and we get to find out if we are having a boy or girl on Dec 5th.

We were walking around the stores looking at car seat and I was wondering the same thing as you, what is the best, if any, 3-1 that will fit in the back of my scab.

I was trying to tell my wife that this just means that we are going to have to get new crew cab, but she isn't seeing this the same way that I am.....

Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by PHS79
I was trying to tell my wife that this just means that we are going to have to get new crew cab, but she isn't seeing this the same way that I am.....
Pretty much what happened to me. I went from an 04 STX SCab to the 08 FX2 SCrew. LOL.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry man, but you are describing 1 of the 2 major flaws with a Scab.

I suggest you think about 3 different carseats like I did with my oldest and am doing with my twins. A bonus of doing this is that you won't have a gigantic convertable carseat to contend with. Carseats that specialize in 1 position are usually smaller/compact compared to those huge 3 in 1 seats.

It is more expensive...but this way the kiddo's are in the proper seat at all times. Not a 1 size fits all seat that isn't the best safety wise IMO.

1st Seat
for the first year she was in a Graco Snugride. It has a permantely installed base. You just snap the carseat in/out as needed. Very handy with small babies.

Also, if you have 2 cars, you can buy 1 extra base. Then the carseat is portable between either vehicle without messing with the base every time you switch.

Link below is the actual carseat I have. I like it so much, I've owned 3 so far. They're good seats.

Graco Snugride Carseat

2nd Seat
This was a transition seat. While she was big/old enough to be forward facing, we weren't comfortable with the idea of being Forward faced just yet. However, she was getting too big for the Graco.

Also, by the year point, most babies are getting somewhat heavy to be hauling around inside a Carseat (mine was anyways )

So we bought a Evenflow Triumph Toddler seat. Seats forward and rear facing. Worked rather nicely as a go-between seat for about 5 months.

EvenFlow Triumph Carseat

3rd Seat
This one was forward facing only. An Evenflow Harnassed Booster Seat. Forward Facing only and good for up to 100 lbs.

These type of seats grow with the kid. They start with the built in 5 point harness...and when big enough, transition to using the vehicles seat belt.

Evenflow Harnassed Booster

4th/5th...and hope no more
Just a simple $40 booster seat and a $20 seat.

Graco Booster
Evenflow Booster

Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I have 2 little girls, 4 yr old and 6 month old. Both are in Eddie Bauer brand, but I have a super crew now. When I had my scab I only had one and her seat fit perfectlly in the middle of the back seat, secured with the tether straps. Hope this helps.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks too all!!

Just wanted to say thank you to ya'll
and congrats to PHS79... 15 weeks didn't seem that long ago
good luck to you

freddytran: thanks for the advice I also bought those same exact units but I cannot get that 3-in-1 to sit right for the life of me. I may have to try the Triumph that tylus mentioned.

Once again, thanks a bunch you guys rock

Quick Reply: baby carseat help