2004 - 2008 F-150

Hard starting on 06 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomclem
My 05' does this on occas.. I recently was at the local service department. Told them I run a can of Techron thru the gas tank to help with keeping the injectors clean(hopefully to prevent malfct down the road). He told me not to do this as the fuel pumps are in the tanks which can get damaged by the additive. Does this sound right or is he FOS? It ticks me off as I try to do some preventative things to this truck and I get told to just leave it alone(in other words, just let it f-up so we can fix it). Same goes for changing the plugs early, this service department and many others say to wait until 100k. I'm beginning to wonder if this is preferred so they can charge me the extra 75 bucks per plug broken to remove the fragments. Not meaning to hijack the thread, just wanted to add this with the other info on the injectors.
Dealer here told me to run Techron through it when my fuel gauge quit due to a faulty sender.
I have noticed that there has been a white powdery substance on fuel pump assemblies lately at my shop. Did some testing and it is from fuel with ethanol.
Several stations here are advertising ethanol free gas. I started using it and within a few miles truck seemed to have more pep and the rough idle is gone.
I'd just about walk rather than put any more of the ethanol gas in my tank.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Wow. This just happened to me yesterday picking up my twins from school. Line of cars in the parking lot. The wait is over, kids are let out, line starts to move. I go to start the truck and it doesn't fire. I figured I just didn't hold the key over long enough. I try again and it still won't fire. WTF? 3rd try it fires. Guy next to me in a Chevy is staring at me. I can only imagine what he's thinking. 06 5.4 25k. Flex Fuel. But I don't run flex fuel.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Ive had this problem a few times on my 05. It wont start on the first turn, but it will on the second. I was advised to check the fuel filter, but I have yet to do so, since my truck rarely has this problem. It is reassuring to know that Ford extended part of the warranty.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck started doing this a few months or so ago back in October. It has done the first thing in the morning or after a short trip a couple times. I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter next oil change to see if that will fix it. My truck is a 05 with the 5.4 and has just over 47k on it.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by hmustang
My truck started doing this a few months or so ago back in October. It has done the first thing in the morning or after a short trip a couple times. I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter next oil change to see if that will fix it. My truck is a 05 with the 5.4 and has just over 47k on it.
If you have never changed the fuel filter, it's overdue!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
We can't get any gas here without the ethanol. I try to buy only gas with Techron, Shell, Texaco, or Chevron. Occasionally, I buy Conoco, not sure what detergent they use, but supposed to be a good one.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
This has happened to my '06 a couple times as well, but not for a while. I was reading on the first page where someone mentioned that a tech stated a possible problem with a leaking down check valve. This sounds like the likely culprit to me because I noticed that my truck would only do it if I got in the truck put the key in and turned it right away. I'm thinking there wasn't enough time for the fuel pump to get the pressure back up? Just a thought because ever since I started getting into the habit of getting in the truck, putting the key in and turning it to the on position, taking a second to put my seat belt on while the truck made its "ding" noises, then turn the key into the run position, it has started up with no problems on the first try. (Fuel filter changed every 15,000 to 20,000 miles.)

Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
On my 05 with the 5.4 was doing this stop at the gas station get gas then 2 or 3 cranks to get started noticed message center said check gauges like I was out of gas when I just filled it up. Took the truck to dealer when it was under warranty they re-flashed the pcm with updated programing and it been fine ever since. Its been about a year since this was done.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Add me to the list, need to talk to the dealer I guess.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Could be that you guys are trying to fire up the vehicle before the fuel system has charged. On my old 03, if i jumped in and flopped the key right over to engage the starter 50% of the time it would take 5-6 seconds to fire up.

When you hope in, put the key in and turn it to the accessory position until the fuel pump stops then, turn it to start. I'm telling you it will work every time.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
My 07 with 14K miles is doing the exact same thing...It seems that it only happens on a warm start and if the temperature is warmer outside. I have noticed it lately on the warmer days here in Michigan (65 deg F and hotter). I also get the "check gauges" message on the cluster. My truck is at the dealer today (2nd time) they were able to reproduce it last week on a 70 degree day...thank god...Has anyone had a resolution to the issue yet? I think the injector leak down / fuel pump thing makes sence to me...b/c it happens more often after the truck sits a while. No issues at speed or low idle, only at start up.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Well, add me to the list. Out of the blue, my 06 5.4 has started doing this. It's done it twice to me in the past 3 or 4 days. It's got about 32k on it and the fuel filter was replaced at 25k. The truck is 100% stock, no mods.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 05 has done this from day one. Except sometimes it will not start until at least 5 attempts. A few times it was at least 10 attempts to start. Sometimes it will barely fire and sputter and die. When I was under warranty the dealer could never duplicate the problem. It was reflashed for a throttle lag but for the last couple of years I've been running Troyer tunes and it still happens.

The only time it happens is if the engine is at operation temp. and I shut if off for a couple of minutes to get gas or something else that only requires a few minutes.
It also goes through stages where it might happen 2 or 3 times in a week then not do it for a few months. It is quite embarrassing when my truck is all cleaned up looking good and get a complement on it. Then the SOB will not start in front of the guy giving the complement.

Last edited by dkstone05; 09-30-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I hear you guys talking a few times about how ford "extended the warranty". what is this referring too? Im pretty sure that the leaking fuel into the cylinder is pretty believable. Sometimes I will get a couple cylinders that fire. mabye I should just take it up to the stealership and see what they say...the only problem is they are only as good as the people working there. some dealerships are great and others go by...well were going to try this cause my buddy thinks...ect. some insight on the warranty extension would be great though. thanks

Old 10-18-2009, 03:40 AM
just want to bump this as my truck is constantly doing this now, it is so irritating. Any fixes?

Quick Reply: Hard starting on 06 5.4