Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
04 5.4L 3V rear main leak.

Does anyone have any experience changing the rear main in the 5.4L? I noticed some oil dripping slowly today and that appears to be the source. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2011 ford f150
do your best to make sure that it is not the oil pan gasket. i pulled the trans on a truck i had expecting to do the rear seal and it was the oil pan gasket that had split at the aft most in the center. i could drive and not loose any or much oil. when i parked it would leak for only a short period, must have been the oil draining down.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 AM
2004 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
It's not to hard if you have some mechanically inclined friends. We changed out the rear gears in my truck and the main seal at the same time. All together it took maybe 6 hours and we was taking our sweat time. Seal should take maybe 2. Hard part is getting the torque set right and that's where experience comes in to play. Now would also be good time to get a new differential cover while you're at it with drain plugs. Can you post a photo of this leaking area? Might help us help you out. Hopefully someone can chime in with more experience on this.

Also get a alldatadiy.com account or a Chilton manual.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
2010 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact9 View Post
It's not to hard if you have some mechanically inclined friends. We changed out the rear gears in my truck and the main seal at the same time. All together it took maybe 6 hours and we was taking our sweat time. Seal should take maybe 2. Hard part is getting the torque set right and that's where experience comes in to play. Now would also be good time to get a new differential cover while you're at it with drain plugs. Can you post a photo of this leaking area? Might help us help you out. Hopefully someone can chime in with more experience on this.

Also get a alldatadiy.com account or a Chilton manual.
I'm just a bit confused, I thought the op was talking about the rear main seal on the engine.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
IR0NS1N
Send a message via AIM to IR0NS1N Send a message via MSN to IR0NS1N
rear main seal is highly unlikely. If it leaks at all times then its your oil pan gasket (if not like valve cover(s). However, if it only leaks when the truck is running, and it runs out like no tomorrow then its rear main
Old 07-30-2008, 12:02 AM
2004 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench007 View Post
I'm just a bit confused, I thought the op was talking about the rear main seal on the engine.
whoa yea perhaps! i spend too much time thinking on drive train.:o
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford 150
I think that my rear seal on my "engine" is starting to leak. The plug on the bottom of the bell housing is constantly damp with oil. It's not dripping yet but it appears to be motor oil. I noticed the dampness at around 20k miles but the dealer wouldn't touch it unless it was dripping. So now that I'm out of warranty it is definitely getting worse and will have to be fixed sometime but I'm waiting until is starts making a mess in the driveway.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM