2004 - 2008 F-150

Help diagnosing front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help diagnosing front end noise

2005 FX4. Makes what sounds like road noise when going straight to turning left but goes away when turning slightly right to full right at any speed. I can feel it through the pedals and really feels like a bad bearing would. What I have replaced, both wheel bearings, passenger half shaft, Iwe both sides and solenoid. Also rotated the tires more than once. Both me and my wallet are out of ideas on what this could be. The only thing I haven't tried is an alignment but sure doesn't feel like it needs one. Since it goes away when turning right and if it were a wheel bearing am i correct in assuming this would be the pass side problem, I am questioning everything at this point again. ANY ideas I would love to hear because I am out of em.
Thanks!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
With those exact symptoms, you should have changed the driver's side halfshaft. A bad CV shuts up when you load it down. Turning right loads the left shaft.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks man. Ill try that but I mean it is just a slight turn, maybe 5-7 degrees at even 15mph and it is gone.I have the shaft I took off of the pass side still and I guess I will throw that one on there and see if it changes anything, I couldnt find a damn thing wrong with it when I took it off. I am not dropping another $400 on another shaft to find out that isn't it. But given the symptoms and turning makes this go away would you say that it in the front end somewhere for sure? Could it possibly be in the rear and go away when the turn kicks in with that rear end known problem? I cant for the life of me feel anything wrong at any axle or wheels whatsoever and have checked more times than I can remember.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
glc
400 bucks!!!! You can get a lifetime warranty Cardone from rockauto.com for 45 bucks plus shipping. Someone sure saw YOU coming, even a Motorcraft at rockauto.com is less than $300. I believe O'Reilly's has decent remans with a lifetime warranty for around $75 (guess, website isn't working right now).

Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Cardones wont work, too severe a shaft angle as the knuckles are manufactured differently so with a 2.5" lift at full decompression the shaft is totally locked and wont turn at all, bound inside the knuckle, no choice but motorcraft. Had to get the last one at the dealer after trying 2 other manufactures and had to get the truck going. I believe the rockauto is about 300 plus shipping so not quite 400 but still I have replaced everything but one shaft and am tired of guessing and throwing money at it. Any other opinions besides that shaft?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM
glc
O'Reilly's site is back up - have you tried a 60 buck Master Pro reman?

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing front end noise