Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

2004 - 2008 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Gauges Asleep at Start

When I start the truck, sometimes the gauges don't move and the needles vibrate a bit for about 10-15 seconds. Then all of a sudden, they jump to life. I also notice that whatever view I have set in the information display (like mpg) gets reset to the default (just outside temp). Typically I see this if I haven't driven in a couple of day, or sometimes if she sits overnight.

My guess is that it's a voltage issue. I checked and cleaned all the connectors on the battery, so it's not a conductance issue. Maybe the battery is starting to go? I am in Phoenix, so batteries usually only last 2-3 years around here.

What do you guys think, new battery or is this a sign of evil spirits in the cluster?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Get a new battery.. it's very cheap insurance.

Get a Optima Yellow Top.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Mine does that everytime I do something that drains the battery (like listening to music with the doors open all day while I detail with the truck off.) Then the next morning when I crank her over, she hesitates to start (low voltage) and then the guages do that flicker for a little bit. I think the battery voltage is just too low and the computer is compensating or something. Odds are you either need to drive more, or keep your battery charger nearby

-Chris
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
This thread was started way back in Jan 2008 and I was wondering if anyone has additional info they can share as the identical thing happened to me last Monday (Oct 20) and again this morning (Oct 27).

My 2004 F150 (5 years old, just under 60k miles) after not being driven all day both Sundays, on Monday morning the gauge needles vibrate for 5-8 seconds on start up before moving to their normal position. Could this be a sign of the battery going dead (it's original) or a more serious problem? When the truck goes in for it's 60k service in a few weeks, I'll have the dealership check it out.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Global Moderator &
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Daver View Post
This thread was started way back in Jan 2008 and I was wondering if anyone has additional info they can share as the identical thing happened to me last Monday (Oct 20) and again this morning (Oct 27).

My 2004 F150 (5 years old, just under 60k miles) after not being driven all day both Sundays, on Monday morning the gauge needles vibrate for 5-8 seconds on start up before moving to their normal position. Could this be a sign of the battery going dead (it's original) or a more serious problem? When the truck goes in for it's 60k service in a few weeks, I'll have the dealership check it out.
Everyone I know of that had erratic gauges solved the problem with a fresh battery. These trucks suck a battery dry.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2013 ford F150
Send a message via AIM to azmidget91
i would say its the battery, gauges shutting off is like the safe mode for your battery, id guess after the 10 sec the alt charged it enough. i would check for something that drains the battery like a radar detector or phone charger or something that is for some reason not turning off

04-08 DROP PARTS FOR SALE!!!
Click Here For Pics PM ME IF YOU HAVE DROP QUESTIONS!!!
Or check out my how to thread So you want to lower your 04-08 F-150
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Definitely the battery. Dropped in a new one from Costco and the gauges stopped the jitters.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 AM