2004 - 2008 F-150

Gauges Asleep at Start

Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges Asleep at Start

When I start the truck, sometimes the gauges don't move and the needles vibrate a bit for about 10-15 seconds. Then all of a sudden, they jump to life. I also notice that whatever view I have set in the information display (like mpg) gets reset to the default (just outside temp). Typically I see this if I haven't driven in a couple of day, or sometimes if she sits overnight.

My guess is that it's a voltage issue. I checked and cleaned all the connectors on the battery, so it's not a conductance issue. Maybe the battery is starting to go? I am in Phoenix, so batteries usually only last 2-3 years around here.

What do you guys think, new battery or is this a sign of evil spirits in the cluster?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Get a new battery.. it's very cheap insurance.

Get a Optima Yellow Top.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Mine does that everytime I do something that drains the battery (like listening to music with the doors open all day while I detail with the truck off.) Then the next morning when I crank her over, she hesitates to start (low voltage) and then the guages do that flicker for a little bit. I think the battery voltage is just too low and the computer is compensating or something. Odds are you either need to drive more, or keep your battery charger nearby

-Chris

Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
This thread was started way back in Jan 2008 and I was wondering if anyone has additional info they can share as the identical thing happened to me last Monday (Oct 20) and again this morning (Oct 27).

My 2004 F150 (5 years old, just under 60k miles) after not being driven all day both Sundays, on Monday morning the gauge needles vibrate for 5-8 seconds on start up before moving to their normal position. Could this be a sign of the battery going dead (it's original) or a more serious problem? When the truck goes in for it's 60k service in a few weeks, I'll have the dealership check it out.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by the Daver
This thread was started way back in Jan 2008 and I was wondering if anyone has additional info they can share as the identical thing happened to me last Monday (Oct 20) and again this morning (Oct 27).

My 2004 F150 (5 years old, just under 60k miles) after not being driven all day both Sundays, on Monday morning the gauge needles vibrate for 5-8 seconds on start up before moving to their normal position. Could this be a sign of the battery going dead (it's original) or a more serious problem? When the truck goes in for it's 60k service in a few weeks, I'll have the dealership check it out.
Everyone I know of that had erratic gauges solved the problem with a fresh battery. These trucks suck a battery dry.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
i would say its the battery, gauges shutting off is like the safe mode for your battery, id guess after the 10 sec the alt charged it enough. i would check for something that drains the battery like a radar detector or phone charger or something that is for some reason not turning off

Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Definitely the battery. Dropped in a new one from Costco and the gauges stopped the jitters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauges Asleep at Start