2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel Filter Replaced - Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Filter Replaced - Question

I replaced my fuel filter today for the first time. Truck has just under 30K miles. It went really easy. The blue clip was a cinch to remove and reattach, the line to the engine was a tad bit of a pain in the *** to release and then reattach so I heard the click, but the tool worked really well. The thing that gave me the most trouble was that stupid little clip in the engine line side of the filter.
So $9.80 for the filter, $6 for the tool, and the satisfaction of knowing that Ford wont rape me for $60 and now I can do it myself much more frequently.
The only down side is that now I will stink like gas for the remainder of the day, which leads me to my question.

How can you avoid all that gas spilling all over the place? I just had a few drips from the fuel tank side, but a lot of gushing from the engine side. I let the truck sit for about an hour, but still there was a lot of gas in the line.
Now that I've made my rookie mistake I'll definitely have something to catch the gas next time besides and old rag. Is there any other way to get the fuel out of the line though?

Last edited by tardman91; 01-21-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
As for the smell, it will go away after a few showers. The smell will stay in the clothes until they are washed a few times though.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I sometimes wear nitrile or vinyl gloves if I got some on hand... but since I really don't care... I usually just let my hands get filthy...

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Suspended
There is no way to avoid the gas coming out. I always unscrew the gas cap just incase there is any pressure in the line.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can minimize it by tripping the inertia switch (the red button near the fuse box in the passenger's side kick panel...whack it a few times with the palm of your hand while the engine's running, eventually you'll hear a "click") and running the engine until it quits. You'll still get some fuel out of the lines, that's just the nature of the beast, but it'll be the least amount possible.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ftruck05
I always unscrew the gas cap just incase there is any pressure in the line.
you're joking, right?
The fuel tank can't build up pressure. They have check valves to bleed off any pressure or vacuum.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I do mine after setting over night. All that runs out is just what is in the line at the connection. I catch it in a rag.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM

I had mine sitting 3 weeks before doing mine... and I still got a lot that came out... but I got the gas smell off my hands when I took a shower... so it wasn't a big deal.

I really wish Ford or some kind of aftermarket company would come out with a simple cartridge filter with a clear bowl, so you can keep a good eye on it... or at least offer it in it's current design, but have the filter bowl clear or opaque...

The one on my tractor is clear, and you can tell when it needs to be changed. I usually change it every 200 hours on it... and it's pretty nasty. It's pretty much the same media as the one in my truck not to mention pretty much the same size.

Last edited by ManualF150; 01-21-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I tried to replace mine this weekend with no luck. I couldn't get that damn blue clip off to save my life. As a matter of fact I broke it competely trying to but the line is still stuck on there. I'm having Ford change the filter out this weekend.

I followed the instructions I had from a how to from this website but mine was a little different. I had no orange clip.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I tried to replace mine this weekend with no luck. I couldn't get that damn blue clip off to save my life. As a matter of fact I broke it competely trying to but the line is still stuck on there. I'm having Ford change the filter out this weekend.

I followed the instructions I had from a how to from this website but mine was a little different. I had no orange clip.
Hmm... it does NOT come off. It just pops out and then the tube slides right off the filter.

I'd be careful that the fuel line pressure doesn't make it come off and start spraying on the hot exhaust components. Instant fire.

Heck, I was scared that when I put it back on, I was afraid it was going to pop off... so I started the truck up and went under the truck, and visually looked for any leaks. But once the blue button is pushed back in, it really holds it on there.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by mkosu04
you're joking, right?
The fuel tank can't build up pressure. They have check valves to bleed off any pressure or vacuum.

Nope just your normal everyday jackass.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Hmm... it does NOT come off. It just pops out and then the tube slides right off the filter.

I'd be careful that the fuel line pressure doesn't make it come off and start spraying on the hot exhaust components. Instant fire.

Heck, I was scared that when I put it back on, I was afraid it was going to pop off... so I started the truck up and went under the truck, and visually looked for any leaks. But once the blue button is pushed back in, it really holds it on there.
I hope mine doesn't come off now. lol As there is NO blue clip anymore. I started it up, revved it, drove it but the line was stuck on there tight with no leaks.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:01 PM

You better get it there ASAP anyways. Fuel is nothing to mess around with.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkosu04
you're joking, right?
When I take my gas cap off it sounds pressurized? I've always been told if you don't have your cap on or tightened enough it will through a code...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
I read a thread here 3 years ago that works great with no gas drips. In the engine bay , on the firewall, driver's side is a little green plastic cap covering a Schrader valve. Depress and hold the valve pin in to relieve fuel pressure. COLD ENGINE ONLY to prevent fire, rag and cup handy to catch the fuel. Works for me, but I always do it after truck has sat overnite so fuel pressure is way down anyway.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replaced - Question