2004 - 2008 F-150

Windshield Washer Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Washer Pump

I noticed when driving down the highway at about 100km or so and I need to use the washer fluid the pump only shoots the fluid 1/4 the way up the windshield?? Is there a way to upgrade the pump to a stronger one??

Also what kind of aftermarket wiper blades are you guys using for winter driving. Cause the stock ones suck really bad!!

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I have noticed the same thing since I have owned the truck, I initially thought something was wrong, so I took it in and the dealer said it performs normally. . .I have not found a solution yet. Do you have a bug guard? I do, maybe that is causing the air to hit the windshield a little different causing the issue.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Try sticking a pin or toothpick in the nozzel. There might be wax clogging it up. That is usually what happens as it only takes 1 waxing to get them clogged up if a lot of wax was used on the hood... or if you were careless around the nozzels. Once that stuff hardens from heat and sunlight, it can be a pita to clean it all out.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Try sticking a pin or toothpick in the nozzel. There might be wax clogging it up. That is usually what happens as it only takes 1 waxing to get them clogged up if a lot of wax was used on the hood... or if you were careless around the nozzels. Once that stuff hardens from heat and sunlight, it can be a pita to clean it all out.
My truck had done it since new, my truck has never been waxed. It works fine when driving in the city, it is at 60 mph + that it sprays way too low, and that is 90% of my driving.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Hmm... interesting.. I've got a bug sheild and they work fine... when I get out, I'll spray mine...

I never really took note of how high they sprayed... I only note that they work and I have washer fluid.... one of those things I guess I don't pay attention to.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I know its not wax cause I've only had the truck 3 weeks or so. I don't have a bug deflector but that shouldn't be all that big of a deal?? (Right?) I think the pump is too weak. I need something with just a few more PSI. Cause driving in the winter you need fluid.

What are you guys using for wiper blades?? I love the new chevy wiper blades.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Its normal. Thats why there are more cars/trucks that are coming with the spray nosel on the wipers.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On some vehicles you can adjust where they spray by inserting something in the nosel and moving it. Never tried this on the f150, they seem to work fine for me.

Also are we susposed to get a low washer fluid dsiplay on an XLT? I thought in the fluid tank it had a sensor but that must be the pump? Never realy looked.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
It infuriates me when going down the highway minding my own business and someone in front of me starts washing their windshield at 70 mph. Most of it flies over them and hits my truck. This usually happens shortly after I have detailed my truck. Why can't people wash the windshield when stopped or at least at slow speeds?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
It infuriates me when going down the highway minding my own business and someone in front of me starts washing their windshield at 70 mph. Most of it flies over them and hits my truck. This usually happens shortly after I have detailed my truck. Why can't people wash the windshield when stopped or at least at slow speeds?
Or get my arm misted while sitting at a stoplight from the car next to me.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by dkstone05
Or get my arm misted while sitting at a stoplight from the car next to me.
This is no lie... my friend rides an old motorcycle to work during the summer to save money on gas, and he has an open face helmet that he wears sometimes, and he almost went blind because someone decided to wash their windsheild next to him at a stop light and the stream sprayed right into his eyes.

He couldn't see because his eyes to burning, and he couldn't even see to get his phone out to call 911 nor did he get a plate number. Until like 10 minutes later when someone was beeping their horn at him to move, did they finally realize what happened and called 911.

Ignorant people...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I need it for winter highway driving. Your winshield gets covered very fast with salt and road grime when the highway is wet. Within minutes you can't see out your windshield! Its scary if you don't get washer fluid fast enough.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
I know its not wax cause I've only had the truck 3 weeks or so. I don't have a bug deflector but that shouldn't be all that big of a deal?? (Right?) I think the pump is too weak. I need something with just a few more PSI. Cause driving in the winter you need fluid.

What are you guys using for wiper blades?? I love the new chevy wiper blades.
I'm running the Bosch wiper blades from Part Source, they seem to work well, my damn windshield is so chipped and pitted now that even new blades streak. Only 2 more months and my new truck should be in.

I agree about it sucking in the winter, only the bottom half of my windshield gets cleaned, the top 1/2 stays dry and smears around when I'm on the highway.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Pump