2004 - 2008 F-150

Tick while under load

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped manifold. The rear port was leaking badly. New manifold and the sound is gone for now. Hope this one lasts. Thanks for the help. Now I can drive my truck and like it again.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You sir, might be in need of some nifty cam phaser lockouts...

Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone, I have an 03 King Ranch that has a tick noise coming from the passenger side when it accelerates, especially when cold. As it warms up the noise tends to go away altogether or get very quiet.
After reading all the postings I could find, I changed all my spark plugs (finding only #8 was very slightly loose), then I looked carefully at all my exhaust manifold bolts on both sides and found all were in place and no sooty spots anywhere so I ruled that out too. I checked the pcv valve and it was fine. Feeling a little frustrated I got down to really zeroing in on where it was coming from and ended up staring at my AC compressor area. Surely that wasn't the cause I thought, so instead I replaced my belt tensioner and the idler pulley that is located just above it as it was making a funny noise when I spun it by hand with the belt off.
I fired the truck back up and found the tick was still there, but much quieter now. I went back to the AC compressor and had my wife turn on and off the climate control while I watched the compressor. Every time she turned it off the ticking went away completely, and came back when it was switched back on.
It's hard to believe that the compressor could be the cause for me still, and I still leaned towards now checking the valve train for something like a lash adjuster being out, because I reasoned the added load of the compressor would bring out the tick the same as acceleration would.
However, today I started the truck and it hasn't ticked at all! I'm not exactly jumping up and down to change out the compressor to test my theory as it won't be cheap, but I'm really starting to wonder what's going on.
If you haven't been able to pin down the source of your ticking noise take a look at your AC compressor. In thinking back now, the thing to do would have been to start the engine with the belt off and rev it up to see if the ticking was there. That way I could have determined whether it was from the valve train or the AC compressor for certain.

Last edited by KingRanchJim; 09-25-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: forgot to add...

Quick Reply: Tick while under load