2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryK
New engine: Bought mine used at 42K, now has 68K but at 65K she needed a new (rebuilt) engine. Had rod knock and #1 cylinder was down on compression. Upon disassembly they found the cam lobes on the passenger side showed significant wear too. It took two longblocks before the dealership accepted what the Ford rebuilder sent them and then that engine had a sound from the drivers side head so they ordered another head. Decided to check the passenger side and it suffered from the same problem the drivers side head had so they ordered a new head for that side too. I walked back to the shop and talked to the head mechanic but still nobody would tell me what was wrong w/ the heads so I still don't know.

Other annoyances:
- The AC doesn't blow that cold
- I can't get the brakes to stop "warping" or pulsating (feels like warpage but 6 hard stops and it goes away for 1000 miles).
- I've had the 4wd solenoid replaced
- The steering wheel controls went out
- It blasts the music for an instant when coming to a stop.

Still like the truck though..
OUCH!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 here with 30k miles, original owner. Replaced butyl pads at recall, dealer flashed PCM to help with hesitation, and just recently had to replace brake pads and machine rotors. I still have the driveline clunk, but I've just been too lazy to take it in to get the yolk lubed up.

Other then those minimal issues, the truck has been great.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
One common problem I'm reading here is the leak at the third brake light, the one issue I haven't had yet. My warranty is up July 1st hmmmm......
Too funny...that is about the only thing i have not had trouble with either
My warranty was up and the rear end started clunking again, Ford dealership told me "your out of warranty", that's when i called Ford direct. About 2 hours later i got a call from the same dealership all of a sudden treating me like a king. Asking when i could bring it in etc. My truck was about 4-6 weeks out of warranty then.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I have an '04 SC Lariat. I only have 8500 miles on it. I've had it in for butyl pad removal recall, third brake light leak and bad temp. sensor. Dealer took care of it all under warranty. I love my truck. I'd buy another in a heartbeat!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 AM
57,000 miles and no real problems. I've had it die on me a couple times, once was because my K &N air filter came off about 6 months after install. (ooops!) The other just needed some throttle bottle cleaner to get her idleing ride. I did have to replace my brakes and have my rotors turned at about 40,000. That seemed a little too soon, but I'm still very pleased!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Just under 50,000 miles on my 04. No major issues. Had the third brake light leak fixed, new front rotors after mine warped at about 5,000 miles, and a power steering pump leak fixed under warranty. Getting ready to put on new brake pads and rotors, new wheels and tires, and new shocks and struts. Last year and half was in England on some pretty crappy roads, too. No squeaks or rattles coming out of mine. Love it and plan to keep it until it dies. I guess I have been extremely lucky not to have a lot of the issues I've ssen in this thread.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Bought my truck, November 03, she has just under 38k on her and so far:

1) Destroyed the valve body in the tranny playing in the mud, $3500 tranny replacement.
2) Switch clusters both driver and passenger side replaced.
3) Idler pully on the front of the engine ate the bearing completely.
4) Driver side window motor pooped out on me 6 months after i got her.
5) None of the lights have leaked... yet.
6) Still the factory brake pads and several thousand miles left on them.

I guess i cant really complain, other than my own doings, the poor ol' girl has held up better than i really expected. I drive her hard and treat her kinda rough, but they advertise, "Built Ford Tough" so im gonna get my moneys worth out of her. Compaired to the people i know that drive Rams and Chevys that baby thier trucks and still have major problems i consider myself exceptionally lucky AND smart for making my last 4 trucks all Fords. I couldnt expect any other brand of truck to take the abuse that i put mine through.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
almost 30k miles.

No issues, not one and it takes a beating.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Please don't get me started.

- Rear end replaced 3 times.

- Failed coilpack (fixed)

- Phaser knock (not yet fixed)

- Tranny strange shifting, slips , short shifts (not fixed)

- Condensation is passenger side fog light (not fixed)

- Speedo momentarily "sticks" sometimes (not fixed)

- Rattle on startup (not fixed)

- Rattle in headliner (disappeared by itself)

- Button lights in driver door and sunroof/rear slider buttons burnt out (not fixed)

- Vibe/ Shimmy at 70+ (dealer claimed it was tires, but its not) (not fixed)

- Bed that looks like its having seizures (not fixed, dealers says "no problem")

- Roof brake light leaks (ford couldn't find a problem there either)

- Warps brake rotors routinely. (Ford installed "upgraded" rotors, still happens)

Thats just for starters.

Built with complete lack of quality by the great people at the Kansas City Plant.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I have almost 60K on mine, i baught it used.

Currently my problems are:

- busted drivers side balljoint

- Bed shakes alot while driving, rattles back window

- throttle or tranny whines/hums at 50-60mph (SOOOO ANNOYING

- Lifters tick pretty bad

- emergency brake broke again (3rd time)

- RUST on bumpers from stones hitting

- drivers side window switch only works when you slam it down

Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Suspended
My Dad has an 04 loaded 4x4 Lariat. I think he's sitting around 70-80k miles... and he has yet to visit the dealer for a single problem

Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
My truck has 38,800 miles and has only been to the dealership 2 times since I have had it. Once to get the drives side fog light replaced because of water inside, and the 2nd for a couple of rattles that I couldn't find. I talked to the orginal owner of the truck and she said that she never had it to the dealership for anything other than oil changes.

I have been very happy with the truck, for a 1/2 ton it is great!! Mine gets work prety hard sometimes as I work construction, I don't like to use it for work but if my work truck is loaded with tools, equipment or a trailer that I can't unload then this truck gets used and does a fine job.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
My 04 has 64,000 on the clock but feels like it should have 164,000. Everything sqeeks and rattles on the truck which I don't really care about. The things I don't like are the loud cam phasers, bed feeling like it's gonna fall off, brand new brakes/rotors way too soon, vibration over 70mph, rear window rattle, window motor broke, almost no window/lock switches light up, Loud clunk when going into 4HI, rear end/driveline clunking, emergency brake doesn't work and the list goes on and on. Still a good truck, never leaves me stranded and i'm still on my OEM battery!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 PM
59,XXX miles here....FX4 supercab with 6.5' bed

Got the butyl pad recall taken care of, other than that it's never gone back in. I still have the warranty until 75,000 miles.

-It does shift kind hard as hell sometimes, feels like the cowl moves!

-engine is a bit noisy, can't tell if its the cam phasers or lifters. I'm used to solid lifter motors so the noise is bearable but I will investifate further one day

-the passenger window goes up and down a bit slower than the other 3 but that is nitpicking!!

I swear the radio gets a bit louder by itself sometimes but others say its my imagination.....

other than that, I LOVE MY FX4!

And I use it to tow my Chevrolet late model stock car....hahaha

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Wow! That was alot to read through, I've got a blister on my finger from the scroll wheel on my mouse!

Did I say my '04 was "rock solid" now? Today the saga continued, I took it in for an oil leak at a fitting on one of the AC lines. Dealer replaced the accumulator and the O-ring, recharged the system and now it blows ICE cold. I had no Idea how bad it was over the last 3 years, it always felt nice and comfy inside, but compared to how it feels now I can't wait for the summer heat!
It goes back in tomorrow morning to get the drivers window switch cluster replaced--again. I had it replaced a few months back for a window switch that wouldn't light up, now the door lock/unlock won't light. Whatever, minor stuff compared to what some of you are dealing with.

Keep it coming everyone.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?