2004 - 2008 F-150

Another TBody question/need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another TBody question/need opinions

I have a 04 Scab with 4.6 and only 32k miles. I got the dreaded P2106 code with engine light and limp mode. My question is, seems like most guys on here have solved this with a new TB and a few was something else. Should I just go ahead and buy a new TB or just the TB sensor and have it installed? I would do it myself but I just had shoulder surgery and can't. I have a pretty good indy that could install it for me. OR, should I bite the bullet and have it towed to the Ford dealer, which I hate to do. I don't really want to reflash it since I have Troyer tunes. I would appreciate ya'lls opinions. If you think I have a 90% chance of fixing it with a new TB then that is probably what I will do. Didn't pull any other codes with Xcal. Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
As I remember correctly, the TPS is not replaceable on the YM 2004-05 trucks. If you weren't semi-handicapped, I'd suggest taking the intake tube off and gently see if the throttle plates can be moved to an open position. Sometimes a sticking plate will cause this code. If it's sticky, take the TB off and clean it or have a friend do it. Otherwise, it's sounds like a new TB is in yer future. Also, check to make sure all of the wires to the injectors are like they are suppose to be. If one wire fails, you'll get a P2106 code.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have an 05 5.4 and had the TPS sensor replaced and had the throttle body decarbed and fuel filter changed. Total price was around $300 out the door at the dealer.

I would change the TPS sensor if possible. Mine did the same thing and it solved my problem. Worst case you will need to replace the Throttle Body, but I would start with the smaller bill and work to the bigger one. The Throttle Body install will cost around $800 or so with parts and labor.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Labnerd and FX4, If I put a new TB sensor in would I have to have it reflashed? Anybody else? Thanks

Quick Reply: Another TBody question/need opinions