2004 - 2008 F-150

Do Lifts void Warranty's??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Lifts void Warranty's??

At some point I want to do a lift on my truck anywhere from 4"-8" with 35-39" tires. I am wondering if doing the lift will void any of my warranty? I realize a lot of times they will just void the part that the mod affects but with a lift that is a pretty substantial modification?

what types of experiences have you guys had with your lifts and getting warranty work done??

Discuss.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 AM
i'm so proud of you

Old 01-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by DTheobald
i'm so proud of you

Old 01-12-2007, 02:20 AM
When I got stuck a couple weeks ago I think I broke a hub. I'm supposed to drop my truck off at the dealership for a few days so someone can look at it and see if the damage will be covered under warantee. I won't have time to take it down there until sometime next week but I will let you know then.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
You can get a 6" lift with 35" tires or 8" lift with 37" tires + gears, other combinations seem unusual.

I'd say 6 & 35s if you're a city driver (like most of use are).

Uhm, the lift would have to be the cause of whatever malfunction. So if the brakes go out, maybe...if your seat doesn't work you're clear.
yeah i am not as much interested in hearing about combinations or kits that work and don't work...I am more interested in how they affect our warrantys

I just think having a lift makes it very easy for the dealership to pass off any warranty work. I mean they could blame so many things on a lift IMO. The list is endless.

I guess that is a risk to take. Maybe when I get serious about getting one I will have a few conversations with my local ford dealers and attempt to get some stuff in writing.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captain morgan8
When I got stuck a couple weeks ago I think I broke a hub. I'm supposed to drop my truck off at the dealership for a few days so someone can look at it and see if the damage will be covered under warantee. I won't have time to take it down there until sometime next week but I will let you know then.
What is your problem? These hubs seem to be a joke, I think my right hub is also out in addition to my tcase.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:13 AM
I got my tranny and front driveshaft replaced on warranty

Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The law says that if the failure was a direct result of the modification, then you're on your own.

Officially, it depends on your dealer.

I can almost guarantee you though, that no dealer will be in a big rush to work on a lifted monster if they can avoid it.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I was just at a dealership yesterday and asked about suspension modifications. I asked if the warranty will still take effect even if they do the work and they said no. They said that it is up to the warranty appraiser person, (whoever the hell that is). It really depends on where you take it though. All dealerships are different. Go to your local dealer and make friends with shop manager and then you will have nothing to worry about

Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by roloplex
I was just at a dealership yesterday and asked about suspension modifications. I asked if the warranty will still take effect even if they do the work and they said no. They said that it is up to the warranty appraiser person, (whoever the hell that is). It really depends on where you take it though. All dealerships are different. Go to your local dealer and make friends with shop manager and then you will have nothing to worry about
yeah...until he quits or gets fired. the turnover at dealerships is pretty bad.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Not usually in the service department. The sales and finance side is another story. I do auto financing for a living and can tell you that keeping people at the dealership for awhile is very rare

Old 01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, it depends on what broke and how cooperative your dealership is. If Ford's not going to pay them to replace it, they're not going to do it.

Now, read the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. If the hub blows because of the oversized tires, then no it won't be covered. However, if the stereo quits working, there's no way the dealership can attribute the lift to the stereo failure. Some dealerships may try and tell you that a K&N filter voids your warranty completely, but I find it hard to believe that anything under the hood could cause the tailgate to not close properly.

(OK, sure, the monster torque the K&N allows *could* twist the bed and mangle the tailgate, but I doubt it! :P )

-Joe

Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
worry about it when it becomes a problem. You can ask what if all day. I would say keep the truck stock for at least 10k make sure it is a sound platform then mod the hell out of her till youre in love.

Quick Reply: Do Lifts void Warranty's??