2004 - 2008 F-150

5.4L 3V engine woes. Rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5.4L 3V engine woes. Rebuild or replace?

So yeah, it set too long. My 5.4L 3V seems to be siezed up. So combined with the issues of the VCT system bing a dud. I am wondering if there are any rebuilders out there that are building engines with fixes for the factory design flaws inherent in these engines.

Who have you guys used and how has your experience been?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
So yeah, it set too long. My 5.4L 3V seems to be siezed up. So combined with the issues of the VCT system bing a dud. I am wondering if there are any rebuilders out there that are building engines with fixes for the factory design flaws inherent in these engines.

Who have you guys used and how has your experience been?
Replace it. I bought an AER rebuilt engine from Eagle Engine sales. AER is in TX, and is the builder of Motorcraft replacement engines. I paid $3300 with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. My original engine temporarily locked up when low oil pressure melted the passenger camshaft into the head 200 miles from home. Luckily the truck eventually started and got me home. Within 500 miles, the timing chain was slapping its cover, so I had to have the engine changed.

I actually just picked up the truck tonight. It's quiet and smooth, but COP #3 appears to have failed on the ride home, and the engine has a misfire. I have to set the monitors to pass local emissions testing.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent6
Replace it. I bought an AER rebuilt engine from Eagle Engine sales. AER is in TX, and is the builder of Motorcraft replacement engines. I paid $3300 with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. My original engine temporarily locked up when low oil pressure melted the passenger camshaft into the head 200 miles from home. Luckily the truck eventually started and got me home. Within 500 miles, the timing chain was slapping its cover, so I had to have the engine changed.

I actually just picked up the truck tonight. It's quiet and smooth, but COP #3 appears to have failed on the ride home, and the engine has a misfire. I have to set the monitors to pass local emissions testing.
Do they do anything special in the reman process to keep from having the typical 5.4L 3V engine problems, like upgrading the oil pump etc?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
Do they do anything special in the reman process to keep from having the typical 5.4L 3V engine problems, like upgrading the oil pump etc?
I'd like to think so, but I don't know for sure. I suppose you could call AER and ask them.