2004 - 2008 F-150

P2106 code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Impact9
Quintin, not sure if you caught my question to your previous post. Do you know if the autozone scan tool will bring up those codes?
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I'd call it about a 40/60 yes/no that they will.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go nearly 2 weeks without a problem.... then yesterday was noting but problems.

Then this morning, the darn things wouldn't start. I had to try to crank it about 500 times resetting the CEL each time so it would actually crank.

Somebody buy this damn truck from me.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Yep. I already replaced my TPS.

Thanks though.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
i cant help but wonder if what i have experienced twice could be related to this. ive brushed it off as bad gas so far.

twice after getting gas at HEB (same place both times) the truck would hesitate and rev up. not over reving or anything just enough to where you can tell something is not right.
ive pulled into a parking spot both times and shut the truck off for a bit then everything was good.

its never just died.. only hesitation. i dont have a code reader or anything and til now didnt tihnk much of it. i am thinking about running some seafoam thru the gas tank.. any reason why i should not do that?

Old 07-26-2008, 03:52 AM
far as I know seafoam through the tank isn't harmful. Lots of post preaching against the intake though.

I still have the code problem but I can't get it to happen unless I'm driving like 200 miles. Well both times I got the code I was driving long distances and just under a half tanks distance it started failing and continued to fault during the trip. I've been driving around locally as I normally do and it's been just fine. I think it may have something to do with engine compartment temps.

When I got to my parents house I parked the truck for a day and cleaned up the throttle body, CIA tube, and seafoam in the fuel tank. It ran fine for that week locally till I started back home and then it acted up again about 200 miles into the trip. So anyone else see why I'm thinking heat? Yea I got a lot of crap in front of my grill but engine temps show in the normal range.

Otherwise I'm at a loss on what it might be as i'm sure everyone else isn't driving 200 miles to get this fault code. Anyone else want to key in on this theory?

Old 07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Super hot days with high humidity seem to trigger it more, but I have no idea really. I'm just grabbin for straws here as to what the solution is.

But, just as I wrote that, my truck will act up sometimes before the engine is even warmed up all the way.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Yes the hot days do seem to trigger it more, it didn't happen that often it the winter to me but just in my 30 mile drive home from work it happened 5 times.

i am getting two codes though. The P2106 code that everyone else is getting and a P2135 code which says "Throttle/Pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation" i have no clue what that means.

i replaced the entire throttle body and sensors a few weeks ago, it ran fine for about a week then started acting up again. I'm ready to take it to dealer and tell them to fix my dam Ford.

Is it me or do we all have one single thing in common? The EDGE EVOLUTION??? I've never heard of this problem w/ by friends 04 and up F150's only mine, But i am the onlly one with an Edge Programmer. Hmm............ makes me wonder lol

And yes i have taken out the edge and it still has same problem.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I got the edge also. I haven't had it break in a while though I did drive around a lot yesterday chasing storms. I only used about a 1/4 tank of gas but it normally faults when I hit about 1/2 tank. I really have no clue, right now it's a old ghost that will come to haunt me when it's most inconvenient.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I have had this happen a few times now and I also have the edge evolution, wish I knew how to fix/correct this issue

Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
so anyone ever find the right fix for this problem?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 AM
P2106 dtc

The Earlier post was correct. Most do not show all the DTC's (including the edge evolution). My 2004 is giving the same code P2106. How ever, I have a diagnostic tool, also showing P0715 & P0717. These 2 codes are TSS codes. Tranmission Speed Sensor Malfunction.
Keep in mind, when a DTC is set, the root cause or malfunction will trigger other DTC's. I'll use this problem and see if I can help you understand what I mean.
The TSS malfunction causes the tranmission to shift erratic or maybe even trying to take off in second gear instead of first. Your PCM monitors all the activity and tells the other modules how to react to different commands and conditions according to its software programming. Example: You shift to Drive - PCM sees your in drive, the TSS isnt reporting any movement and no gas pedal activity. The PCM knows under these specific conditions to start in first gear or low. Press on the gas and the PCM monitors your TB(throttle body),rpms,TSS,MAF,VSS,HEGO's,CHT...etc. It does alot in micromilliseconds!!! As these conditions change (acceleration) the PCM knows at what rpm, VSS(vehicle speed sensor)TSS,throttle Position and other variables when to tell the transmission to shift to second...and so on.
Now then, your TSS malfunctions giving the wrong information to the PCM. Lets say your TSS tells your PCM that its slowing down, but it really isnt. Your PCM says: ok, that means the driver is letting off the gas pedal for this to happen. At this point its mass confusion. PCM doesnt see the correct throttle position, so it decides to try to correct the problem. Using info from the other sensors as well as the false info from the TSS, resulting in bucking, jerking, hesitation, od lite blinking, safemode or dying.(one or all symtoms are possible). Hopefully this helps. Dont go out and buy parts for every DTC you see, and use a diagnostic tool that will show all the codes.

Here is a funny...A guy uses a diagnostic tool to retrieve codes that set his check engine lite.(3 or 4 failure codes) "EVAP failure" Emissions or fuel related. I never said this guy was a qualfied Tech, but he thought he was. anyway, long story short. He replaced, carbon canister, fuel pump and sender(located inside the fuel tank), FTPT(fuel tank pressure transducer) and finally removing the fuel tank for a second time and replacing it...WOW.
Since that didnt work and very frustrated, he finally takes it to a Qualfied Tech who understood how the emission system worked.
After buying all the parts that he himself replaced and then paying $160.00 for basically a disgnostic charge his F150 was back to normal.
SOLVE: The last time he filled up with fuel he forgot to put his gas cap back on.....ROTFLMAO

Quick Reply: P2106 code?