2004 - 2008 F-150

Where is the PCV valve on the 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the PCV valve on the 5.4?

Or does it even use one? Just finished a bunch of maintenance, flush the brakes and power steering, rotate tires and change the oil. I got to looking for the PCV valve since it would be due for a new one. There's a couple things that look right on the top front of both valve covers but they don't look replaceable. Unless the tube they're connected to is replaced as a unit. I can't wait to find a repair manual for this truck!

Old 08-20-2006, 03:24 PM
19 views and no replies? Where's Quintin when you need him.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's in the driver's side valve cover. The tube for it goes up, over, and connects to a fitting on the intake manifold almost vertically, with a green release tab on it.

Also note that these PCV valves are electronically controlled and heated.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I had mine replaced. My truck burns oil and they thought replacing the pcv valve would help, It didn't.
The pcv valve is built into your valve cover (on the driver side i believe).
you have to replace you valve cover to replace the pcv valve.
This is what the dealership has told me.

hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
It's in the driver's side valve cover. The tube for it goes up, over, and connects to a fitting on the intake manifold almost vertically, with a green release tab on it.

Also note that these PCV valves are electronically controlled and heated.
Thanks Quintin, that's where I thought it was. Now the next question is does the valve and tube get replaced as an assembly or can you just replace the valve?

Old 08-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The book shows this valve being serviced with the tube and all, but I personally ain't sure. Haven't had to replace one yet.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The book shows this valve being serviced with the tube and all, but I personally ain't sure. Haven't had to replace one yet.
I just went to have a closer look at it, as far as I can tell the valve is attached to the manifold by 2 screws. The tube just connects the valve cover to the PCV valve. Looks like a pricey part though, I'm guessing upwards of $50.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Unless you have a mysterious lean condition, or are sucking oil, don't bother to replace it until at least 50 thousand. With the semi-synthetic oil on these tight clearance engines the crankcase ventilation doesn't get a huge workout like in the old days. A shot of electronics cleaner can rejuvenate one pretty well if it is starting to look dirty.

The older ones would get full of gunk from the blowby and thus reduce the aperture. Also the spring would get weak over time, increasing the airflow and causing a lean condition. Since neither of those problems is common in less than 100k on a modern engine I don't think I would worry too much about changing it early.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:52 PM
it is not as easy as previous model....according to OEM manual, it is closed loop system, which is lot hard to replace and requires few removal parts associated with it. With previous model, I was able to change w/i 20 seconds, now with this new engine design, I'm afraid to tackle it. Not to mention cost invloved.

Quick Reply: Where is the PCV valve on the 5.4?