2004 - 2008 F-150

Question about used Suspension Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about used Suspension Kit

I've been looking for slightly used skyjacker 3'' lift kit. I happen to find one but my problem is it has 20,000 miles of use on it. Is this to much wear already or should I go newer.

Last edited by pachi7tre; 08-17-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I would stay away from it. And my reasoning is this....

For the longest time I wanted to put a leveling kit on my truck, but heard too many stories about ruined ball joints etc, so I stayed away from a leveling kit. And then I thought about a small suspension lift (something smaller than the 6" lift). And then I read about the 3" lifts and what I read said they cause even more extreme angles than the leveling kits. And I read alof of stories of unhappy people.

This is not to say that people arent happy with leveling kits, or 3" lifts, but having read so many stories of problems caused, I decided to stay away from them.

Just giving you something to think about.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If your truck is 2WD go for it, just be prepared to go through ball joints 2-3 times faster than normal. If your truck is 4WD I would steer clear because those lifts totally mess up all your angles.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by tardman91
If your truck is 2WD go for it, just be prepared to go through ball joints 2-3 times faster than normal. If your truck is 4WD I would steer clear because those lifts totally mess up all your angles.
I have never agreed with all of these "problems" with the CV joints. I have yet to hear data that suggests that leveling kits destroy CV joints on the front of these trucks. I think that some are just being a little too cautious. With the wheels cut all the way over stock the angle off of center would be about 40-45 degrees. A leveling kit does not come to that great of an angle, meaning that the joints do not really experience any more stress than steering. If someone can show me that a leveling kit directly caused a CV joint failure, then I would change my tune. I do agree with ball joints. The ball joints will max out on articulation when the suspension is full off with a leveling kit. Fine. I would rather spend the money to replace ball joints more frequently than to spend 2K+ on a lift kit. The cost of a lift is about 8 sets of ball joints, and I doubt that I will have this truck that long. It seems that no matter what kind of lift/level kit you install, there are going to be problems (minor to major). There are two advantages to installing a leveling kit. Cost: much less than a full lift, and ground clearance: the leveling kit actually give you more front end ground clearance than any lift.
Edit: Sorry, I did not mean to highjack the thread. If you feel comfortable with buying a used aftermarket item, then go for it. I personally do not like that idea because you never know what it has been through.

Last edited by KSpencer; 08-17-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 PM
I have the Skyjacker 3" kit on mine. I havent had any problems with cv joint or ball joint failure yet.

I've been looking for slightly used skyjacker 3'' lift kit. I happen to find one but my problem is it has 20,000 miles of use on it. Is this to much wear already or should I go newer.
If youre getting a hell of a deal on the lift, I dont think it would be a problem to install it on your truck

Quick Reply: Question about used Suspension Kit