2004 - 2008 F-150

Removing Stock Air Intake..

Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Stock Air Intake..

could someone tell me the Pro's and cons of removing the stock air intake tube.. you know the big ugly thing with air baffles on my 5.4 .. i'd like to just take it off.. it looks really ristrictive on the air flow..

Thanks.

Cheers!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Don't know what it would do when you drive but I take mine off to change the oil filter. It make it a lot easier to get to the filter from the top with the tube off.

James

Old 07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
o yea? i just prop my truck on some ramps and have at it from underneath. might try that next time i change my oil..

Old 07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UberDude
could someone tell me the Pro's and cons of removing the stock air intake tube.. you know the big ugly thing with air baffles on my 5.4 .. i'd like to just take it off.. it looks really ristrictive on the air flow..

Thanks.

Cheers!
Although it is UGLY, there was a lot of research and developement by Ford in its design and function. If you remove it and do not replace it with a reputable aftermarket system, I guarantee you that sometime, somewhere you are going to throw a CEL, and you will end up in "limp home mode".
Simply removing it will cause a serious lean burn conditon which can cause catostrophic internal damage..It might not happen for a hundred, a thousand, or even several thousand miles, but I GUARANTEE you it WILL happen..

Old 07-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Although it is UGLY, there was a lot of research and developement by Ford in its design and function. If you remove it and do not replace it with a reputable aftermarket system, I guarantee you that sometime, somewhere you are going to throw a CEL, and you will end up in "limp home mode".
Simply removing it will cause a serious lean burn conditon which can cause catostrophic internal damage..It might not happen for a hundred, a thousand, or even several thousand miles, but I GUARANTEE you it WILL happen..

that sucks cause the truck feels like it has more power when im getting on the highway or just taking off like a bat out of hell.. but im asuming its sucking in hot engine air and thats what would fowl up the sensor..

could someone point me in the direction of a "reputable aftermarket system"?.. i already have a drop in K&N so all i really want is a tube without the ristrictive baffles..

or perhaps i could get others opinions..

Thanks!

Cheers!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Here you go I think this is what you are looking for.
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A1928515.aspx

Old 07-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
That is just plain wrong. You are MUCH more likely to throw a CEL and go lean with aftermerket intakes which are not properly designed than by removing or modifying the factory intake. Just removing the restrictive snorkel that goes into the fender and replacing it with something else will net you 5-8 horses. This has been tested and proven by Edge products, so don't argue with me about it or tell me to go prove it on a dyno. It has already been done. That being said, there are many folks driving around with modified factory intakes and drop-in replacment filters who have never thrown a CEL or had any problems for tens of thousands of miles. I know because I'm one of them.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Those baffels are resonators...specifically designed to eliminate air induction system noise. At least one of them is a helmholz resonator. That eliminates the howling sound of the air as it moves through the tube. The helmholz effect is like blowing across the opening of an empty pop bottle. Each resonator reduces/eliminates a specific frequency.

Removing the tube shouldn't put you into a lean condition (and subsequently throw a CEL) as long as you DON'T eliminate/bypass the mass airflow sensor in the system. The mass airflow sensor will compensate the fuel mixture and add fuel to the combustion process as the flow of air is increased due to a lower restriction induction system.

Besides...reducing restriction on the induction side will only have so much effect. The exhaust side still has a restriction so you won't really pump THAT much more air through the system.

Good luck.

Last edited by bdholsin; 07-24-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
how does the MAF sensor know that more air is going by? I thought it measures only a small area and then is "calibrated" for the air intake total area. Just wondering.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by kylakerider
how does the MAF sensor know that more air is going by? I thought it measures only a small area and then is "calibrated" for the air intake total area. Just wondering.
The MAF sensor is an important sensor. Gernerally speaking it's what your ECU/PCM uses to see how much air the engine is taking in and it's able to calculate the load (Volumetric efficancy) and keep your AFR (air/fuel ratio) inline... with the aid of a few other sensors input.

The sensor has a wire that is exposed to the incoming air that it keeps at a specific temp. The more air that comes in, the more voltage it needs to keep it at that temp. It's operating range, like any other sensor in the engine bay is 0-5V. The ECU/PCM has a value file for the MAF called the MAF transfer function that's like a graph so it can calculate the proper AFR.

Last edited by swazo; 07-31-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kd4crs
That is just plain wrong. You are MUCH more likely to throw a CEL and go lean with aftermerket intakes which are not properly designed than by removing or modifying the factory intake. Just removing the restrictive snorkel that goes into the fender and replacing it with something else will net you 5-8 horses. This has been tested and proven by Edge products, so don't argue with me about it or tell me to go prove it on a dyno. It has already been done. That being said, there are many folks driving around with modified factory intakes and drop-in replacment filters who have never thrown a CEL or had any problems for tens of thousands of miles. I know because I'm one of them.
Its your truck and your $$$$ so do what you want with it...All I am saying is that it will happen sooner or later without the intake tube on the stock system...You don't want to hear this but facts are facts, I have witnessed far too many dyno pulls and KNOW what is happening when you do this..
You claim that you are running your vehicle in that configuration, but I see you have a tuner...

Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by PHS79
Here you go I think this is what you are looking for.
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A1928515.aspx
I just got the airaid jr. from these guys.Works great,no noise at least 1.5 mpg better than stock and much improved acceleration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Stock Air Intake..