2004 - 2008 F-150

A-Pillar Mounted Spotlight

Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A-Pillar Mounted Spotlight

I am looking to install a spotlight like nearly every police vehicle has on their A-Pillar. Is this a difficult install, I know some of you are officers and have these on your units. Can you recommend a site to find one, I've looked on several emergency apparel websites, etc. I cannot seem to find this item. I'm looking for something pretty high powered (500k candlepower at the least), and not too pricey. I might just bring it in as I am not sure I have the tools to cut through our A-pillar. If it could be mounted on the roof and wouldn't smack me in the face while driving (I sit pretty high in my truck) then I'd consider that, let me know.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is one source:

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...og&style=SL053

You may have to go through NASA to get one that is 500,00 CP.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 AM
ive seen a couple on ebay, but as far as install, its gonna be interesting, you have to make a notch in your a pillar...an then install the bracket an stuff for it to work, the wiring is simple its just a simple switch, the actual notch an bracket is a bit tough an scary to do especially on a nice vehicle lol

Old 03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

A friend of my brothers has an awesome light that he ripped off from wherever he works. It mounts on his roof with a magnet and plugs into a cigarette lighter inside the car (could also be hard wired). Then inside the cab he has a remote that lets him control the light. Up and down and side to side. It's really bright too. Best of all... no drilling holes in your truck!

Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Spotlight

I was looking at the possibility of of adding a spotlight to the a-pillar. I have never installed one or seen one installed up close, but looking at the a-pillars on our trucks, it doesn't seem that there is enough material to add one unless you cut into the door a little. I mean if you look at at your truck's pillar from the outside, there is hardly any space there for a hole to be drilled.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM
If you would like a remote spotlight (without ripping it off from somewhere ) you could pick this suction cup mount one from a boating store.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...-1/10001/32816

Old 03-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by myst
If you would like a remote spotlight (without ripping it off from somewhere ) you could pick this suction cup mount one from a boating store.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...-1/10001/32816
I've been looking for one of those everywhere, thankyou for posting that . I've searched and searched but I could never find one and I think I just may buy that one. I think I'll get the one with the wired remote since its only $99 and the one with the wireless remote is like $225.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 PM
This would be awsome to have on a truck!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have GOLIGHTS on all of our work trucks. Either suction cup with magnet or permanent mount. All have the wireless remote with a remote on the dash. The guys really like them and they seem to hold up well.

Check em out at www.golight.com, I also see they sell them at allot of different outlets.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm coming into this late, but the A-pillar mounted spotlights that you see on most police cars are made by Unity (at least that is all I've ever seen on our cars). Website is www.unityusa.com. They run $100 to $150 for the F150.

From what I've read and seen, installation consists of drilling two 1/8" holes in the A-pillar using a supplied template for your truck, mounting the outside bracket using those holes, and then drilling a 1/2" hole using a drill bushing supplied with the bracket. No notching of the door required. From there you install all the components and wire things up. These lights are pretty straightforward, give a wide range of motion, and are very bright.

I have a Golight as well and I think they are great lights for a temporary or semi-permanent install. They are bigger and stand out more though. They have a less range of motion than a Unity light as well. Guess it depends on what your looking for. As far as remote lights, you might also check out Code3's NightProbe. It's similar to the Golight, but more compact. Haven't seen one in person, but hear good things about them. Good luck.

Jon

Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by jlawren6
I'm coming into this late, but the A-pillar mounted spotlights that you see on most police cars are made by Unity (at least that is all I've ever seen on our cars). Website is www.unityusa.com. They run $100 to $150 for the F150.

From what I've read and seen, installation consists of drilling two 1/8" holes in the A-pillar using a supplied template for your truck, mounting the outside bracket using those holes, and then drilling a 1/2" hole using a drill bushing supplied with the bracket. No notching of the door required. From there you install all the components and wire things up. These lights are pretty straightforward, give a wide range of motion, and are very bright.

I have a Golight as well and I think they are great lights for a temporary or semi-permanent install. They are bigger and stand out more though. They have a less range of motion than a Unity light as well. Guess it depends on what your looking for. As far as remote lights, you might also check out Code3's NightProbe. It's similar to the Golight, but more compact. Haven't seen one in person, but hear good things about them. Good luck.

Jon

So can you hook me up with one of those strobes that will make my traffic lights go green for me?

Old 04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I got your Lightforce right here..

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/OCT02.pdf

Check out the pic of the guy on page 5, he's holding the largest of the 3 versions, the 240.

- The 140 model is 110K candlepower
- The 170 is 350K candlepower. NOTE: a 150watt 6" KC Daylighter (the standard 6" deep model, not the slim version) is 385K candlepower. The "Slim" KC Daylighter in 150W is 285K candlepower.
- The 240 is 730K candlepower.

I know you can buy the mounted version of the lights in the US (I had the 170's on my old truck).. the handheld stuff is probably not carried through every distributor.

Last edited by JerryK; 04-04-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jlawren6

Jon
Thats incredibly ironic you posted this, this morning I found that website when I had to urge to search for spotlights again. I know a Titan owner with them and checked his mod list and sure enough, unity they were and found the site. Yes, it's 1/2" hole in the middle for sure, not sure about the outside 2 holes. You can heat a coathanger and push it through the plastic on the other side. I've been looking at the 330 series and they run about $200. Thanks a lot for posting, I'm going to order the 330 with the template.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have a picture of a F150 with a pillar mounted spotlight?

Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I know this is a big bump, but how did things work out for you, Josiah? Oddly enough I found this thread because I also want to install a spotlight on my F150 - but I'm very confused as to how one would mount one and such. I don't even know how on earth I'd drill a 1/2" hole through the A-Pillar to start with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A-Pillar Mounted Spotlight