2004 - 2008 F-150

Wheel hop W/2/4 drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop W/2/4 drop

I have the 2/4 McGaughy drop kit on my 05 2wd, I'm just woundering if anyone else with a drop (flip kit or leaf springs) has bad wheel hop if trying to get off the line quick or powerbrake, i'm going on my 2nd replacement drive shaft due to my truck hopping while riding hard off the line, should I put it back to my 2" drop shackle with stock leafs or just a flip by DJM with stock springs?

Thanks Jay

Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Had that set up... busted a set of those leaf springs I have had three drive shafts stock one busted then I got a C/F Drive shaft...Lifted the truck back up C/F drive shaft was to short..back to ford 650.00 for Ford nonserviceable D/S

Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 PM
no wheel hop here on my 2.5/4 djm drop and deffinatly no wheel hop when i took off the lifting hanger for a 6" drop

djm is by far the best flip kit it has an adjustable pinion angle

Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 PM
I think the main problem with the McGaughy leafs are that they're not as stiff/strong as the stockers... Causing wheel hop.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 PM
yep and with the djm 4" flip it actually stiffens the spring rate because of the mounting of the leaf spring, i took off the lifting hanger and it was way too soft of a spring rate so i put it back on but i still want a 6" drop so i am leaving the lifting hanger on but getting a 2" drop shackle which will stiffen it up even more

Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 AM
i have the djm 2.5/5, can someone explain "wheel hop" please

Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by charlesA
i have the djm 2.5/5, can someone explain "wheel hop" please
I don't really have an issue in the rear of mine, the occasional standard "pick up and scoot over" that all trucks do, but I find more issues with my front end being jittery over bumps. I think the Bilstein's may be too stiff for my lowered application though.

As for wheel hop when accelerating I have no issues at all.

BTW, Charles, do you have any rubbing or bottoming out? I looked at the pics in your gallery and I'm trying to figure out how the heck you can drive around with what looks to be maybe 1 inch of gap between the wheel well and the tire. Not talking smack by any means, just curious.

I ask because I know my truck is a little higher (2/5 flip in rear but added air shocks making it 2.4) and I have rub marks in the wheel well in the rear.

I would really like to drop the front a hair more to lose the gap...but I am afraid it will hit.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
wheel hop is actually cause from the leaf springs twisting while accelerating and then springing back and then it wtists again and springs back, and does this several times

wheel hop is when your accelerating and then it feels like your rear tires are tring to spin but then catch and makes the bed shack bad

Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
thanks for clarifying that azmidget
Lumadar (what part of SD? im in chula vista), it actually is an inch of space between my rear and wheel well, i recently decided to have the shop add lifting hangers (not sure) to make it the same height as yours in the rear, i suffered the same problem with the wheels not only bottoming out but as well as pieces of the side wall on my tires ending up between the sheet of metal inside the fender. in the future i plan on removing the lifting hangers to bring back the 5" drop and have the fenders rolled inward to prevent anymore tearing of my sidewall.
would any of you know if replacing my DJM shocks with maybe stiffer ones would lessen the chances of the wheel hitting the top of the wheel well?

Old 06-28-2006, 05:56 PM
I had wheelhop on stock springs......and then I got these!!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by charlesA
thanks for clarifying that azmidget
Lumadar (what part of SD? im in chula vista), it actually is an inch of space between my rear and wheel well, i recently decided to have the shop add lifting hangers (not sure) to make it the same height as yours in the rear, i suffered the same problem with the wheels not only bottoming out but as well as pieces of the side wall on my tires ending up between the sheet of metal inside the fender. in the future i plan on removing the lifting hangers to bring back the 5" drop and have the fenders rolled inward to prevent anymore tearing of my sidewall.
would any of you know if replacing my DJM shocks with maybe stiffer ones would lessen the chances of the wheel hitting the top of the wheel well?
i dont think there is a shock stiff enough to compensate for the already soft springs with a 1" lifting shackle(im assuming this is what you have) the lifting shackle will make your spring more level and softer(explination below)

ok here it goes, if you want to keep the 5" drop but not bottom out get the 2" djm lifting hanger, this will make your drop a 4" drop, then get or have a 1" drop shackle, now you are back down to 5" drop (this will make your suspension stiffer then stock)

now for the reasoning, the angle at which the leaf spring is at will determine the spring rate(sort of, the spring rate never changes but the final result does) when the leaf spring is flat meaning the front and rear mounts are the same hieght it is easier to compress. (btw the front mount is called a hanger the rear mount is a shackle) now when the leaf spring is at an angle it is harder to compress which gives you a stiffer ride

so i will be using a 2" lifting hanger with a 2" drop shackle and i believe that should be stiff enough to be able to drive around and never bottom out with a 6" drop

Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 PM
dont forget to fix your pinion angle

Old 06-28-2006, 08:43 PM
djm's flip kit has an adjustable pinion angle

to adjust it loosen the ubolts just a bit have the truck on jack stands and put the jack under the axel and raise it to ride hight then adjust the 2 bolts on top of the axel

Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 AM
2/4 McGaughy's drop and no problems.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Ive got the same suspension setup and no wheel hop.
It may be an issue with the install and the drive line angle.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop W/2/4 drop