2004 - 2008 F-150

High Pitched Whistle Coming from Engine in Cold Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try replacing the alternator. I had the same high pitched whistle last winter, only occurred when the temps were below 30 degrees and RPMs were between 1500 and 1900. Dealer replaced the alternator and I haven't heard it since.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I get the whistle noise at around -18 celcius to minus 50 on acceleration and the whistle disappears when I take my foot of the gas peddle. Was first told by Ford dealer was air intake mainfold. But the belt tensoiner can make that sound also. So Ford is trying the tensioner first. Does not matter to me, all under warranty. Truck is 04 F-150 FX4, no mods.

Last edited by Fire-Chicken; 12-11-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 AM
whistle when cold

I had the the same whistle when temps dropped below freezing and the truck sat. The dealer finally changed the clutch fan and it helped in that the whistle only lasted a few seconds as opposed to a few minutes(until till the truck got some temp in it). I have since put on e-fans and have not had the problem for the past 2 winters.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Question Engine Whistle

Guess I'll weigh in on this one also. Have a 05 Screw with the Triton and experience the same high pitched whistle starting a cold engine where the outside temp is below 30 degrees. Sound goes away as the engine starts to heat up. Strangly enough, the sound is of course, intermittent. Some cold days it does not make the sound.......

Please post any solutions, perhaps the Techs out there can sound in.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I tried higher octane gas, did not help. Sounds like a common problem. My dealer was never able to reproduce, now my truck is out of warrenty. Other than this whistle, I think I have all the bugs worked out. Hopefully we will get a good fix from someone on here!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Some of the older truck had this problem and it turned out to be the pulley's. Try hitting the bearing with a lubricant and see if that solves the prob.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Here is a loop

Ok let me throw a loop in. My 99 4.6 vs has this whisteling when the engine is cold. It is intemintent. However it stops when I give it gas. Once I get off the gas it starts back. And stops when the motor warms up.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I personally think that it's directly related to a dwarf in the engine compartment. You're on your way to work, typically, when you hear this, right?

Haven't you ever seen Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Here's another whistle story. I noticed the other day, a sort of whistle or whining sound that lasts for about 2-3 seconds when I lift off the pedal. It is not super loud, in fact the only reason I heard it is because I forgot the faceplate for my stereo that day. It may have been there many times before, just not able to drown out Stevie Ray, lol.

Anyway, I have since determined it to be loosely associated with cold weather, say under about 40* F. I say loosely, because though it doesn't seem to do it every time, even in cold, but it has not done it on warmer days (so far).

I haven't noticed any performance or fuel economy issues. Just curious, and keeping my ears open to it worsening.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I thought I was dreaming - because my '05 developed the same whistle this year. It appears to be RPM related, and 60 MPH is about right on the money for mine. Step off the gas, and it goes away immediately. There appears to be a very limited RPM range that it occurs in and I'm trying to narrow it down. I can attest to the fact that it only happens when the temperature drops below freezing though.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Duke,

Do you have and after market intake? If so that might be the issue, my 04 did the same thing when it was cold out. Although I just put the K&N on my 06 and it has yet to make the same noise, I do have a different exhaust setup on my 06, don't know if that makes any difference. Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I have this whistle also. Has anybody figured out a fix yet?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Same whistle here too. Dropped to about -10 here in Iowa yesterday and that's when I heard it for the first time. There has to be a solution to this. I'll keep checking back here cause I can't imagine what excuse the dealership will give me.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Silver05screw
I have this whistle also. Has anybody figured out a fix yet?
If we all drive in the warm weather only we would have no problem.

I get it also in extreme cold but only at startup and it goes away once it warms up.To me it sounds like the p/s pump whining real bad because the fluid thickens in the cold.It only happens on the coldest of days and it goes away when it warms up otherwise I wouldn't drive it.Each individual truck is different it could be pulley bearings,fan clutch or any of the other stuff we think it sounds like.I'm interested to find out if we ever find the answer here.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by ColoFX4
Duke,

Do you have and after market intake? If so that might be the issue, my 04 did the same thing when it was cold out. Although I just put the K&N on my 06 and it has yet to make the same noise, I do have a different exhaust setup on my 06, don't know if that makes any difference. Hope this helps.
I have an aftermarket intake and it doesn't do it anymore. It used to do it with the stock intake though.

It has happened once at -20 with the AF1 intake.

Oh RP,

YOU'RE A DORK!

Cmon man, watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?

Geese, where is Dz when you need him.

Duke

Quick Reply: High Pitched Whistle Coming from Engine in Cold Weather?