2004 - 2008 F-150

Keyless entry will not unlock but sounds like it wants to

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless entry will not unlock but sounds like it wants to

Hi,

I'm new here so forgive me if this has been covered before. I have searched the forum and the internet alike and I have yet to find an answer. I bought a 2007 F150 XLT supercrew from a friend of mine not too long ago. When I got it he told me the keyless entry didnt work. When I tried it it did work. Then it started to only work when it wanted to. I can use the key fob to lock the truck without any problems. Works every time. But when I try to use the fob to unlock, it wont unlock. All the dash lights flash. Dome lights flash. I can hear clicking in the dash like it wants to work. The lock/unlock buttons on the doors work every time, just not the fob. I have 2 fobs and neither work to unlock.
I have seen this problem on forums but I have yet to find a fix. I was told that the remote start and keyless entry are all factory.
Any help or guess where to start looking would be awesome.
Thanks.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure Ford does it this way, haven't had issue with mine to find out, however it probably does as most Chevy's I've owned do.

When you hold the interior door button, it applies power to the lock actuators for as long as you hold it (aside from a safety timeout) but when you use the fob or keypad on door, it just sends a brief pulse to the motors. As the motors age and in the case of Ford, the cables age, the greases dry and thicken causing things to move slower. By holding the interior buttons, your giving maybe 1 or at least 3/4 of second for them to complete their travel, when using the fob, maybe 1/4 second or less which isn't enough time to move the required distance..

If this is the case, you may find it works better when very warm and more poorly when cold. You may also have success by hitting unlock several times (it may move a bit each time)

You'll probably find the lock/unlock 'motor' for your ford behind the rear seat and using very long cables which to me is stupid, but then it is ford. Injecting a light penetrant through the cables and working them loose again may fix your issue..

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already replaced the motors for the locks in the doors so I doubt that is the problem.

Quick Reply: Keyless entry will not unlock but sounds like it wants to